PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans / Baton Rouge area Discus Breeders

KevinM
07-20-2003, 10:01 PM
Hello all,
Just recently registered and am getting back into freshwater after too long an absence. I have a 180g that I've set up as a planted tank and I'm looking for local breeders so I can stock my tank. Any referrals would be appreciated. If I can't find locals how about some recommendations for online breeders. tanks.... ;D
Kevin

dalex2u
07-31-2003, 10:51 AM
Welcome to Simply. I'm from New Orleans, and I don't know of any local breeders here. I know of a couple of pet shops that cary discus....you might be better off ordering from Cary at Great Lakes Discus.

D' Alex

Emanuel
08-02-2003, 01:19 AM
Isn't Beth_A in your area too? Look at some of her fish pictures in the Photo section.

Carol_Roberts
08-02-2003, 02:42 AM
Yes Beth is in Lousiana. Here is the link to her current thread in the photo section
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=11;action=display;threadid=11609

Discus_KC
08-02-2003, 03:56 AM
Beth is in Destrahan (hope I got the spelling right) right outside of New Orleans !!!! And her fish are A+ ;D ;D ;D

IM her and see what she has available.

Jack

sstainback
11-25-2003, 12:54 AM
Hello,
I just found this website and this topic. I am glad to see some other discus folks in the area. I used to have several tanks with discus, but due to moves and other reasons, only have one lonely discus. I'd like to get some more going though. Are there any new recomendations of sources in the area since this thread was started?

There used to be a guy uptown New Orleans named Gred Wendling. He called his operation Dixie Discus. I bought several great fish from him about 10 years ago, but I believe he is out of fish keeping all together.

I will try to contact Beth_A, but if that is not successful, if anyone is planning on having fish shipped in anytime in the near future, I would be interested in combining an order to save a little money.

Thanks,
Steve
Mandeville, La

chuckbam
01-19-2004, 12:10 PM
Hi

I would like to introduce myself as another Discus Hobbyist in the New Orleans area. I started breeding Discus back in 1982. I kept down sizing after each of several moves. In 1997 I decided to accept a sales position that would keep me “on the road” for weeks at a time. That was the finish to my Discus hobby.

I have recently moved to Covington and have set up a one car garage to accommodate around 40 some tanks and a little over 1,000 gallon capacity. I am also interested in other freshwater fish and Plants. Like Rams and Tetras etc. I am just starting out again and am growing fish from JW, GLD and Universal.

I was looking for a fish club in this area. Is there anything ?

Best Regards,
chuckbam

DiscusDawg
01-29-2004, 12:34 AM
You could try Liz in Hattiesburg, Ms. Her fish look awesome. There is also a gentleman in New Orleans that advertises in the Times-Picayune. I saw his fish and almost freaked out!!! Worth the trip to see his planted 75. He was gracious enough to turn me onto this group!! Thanks B!!! I would like to meet other Discus Lovers from the South. Maybe we should talk about forming something.

chuckbam
01-29-2004, 12:41 AM
Thanks, I will have to look in the paper !!!!!!!!

http://chuckbam.com/NewFishaA1.htm

DiscusDawg
01-29-2004, 04:12 PM
Chuckbam,
I wouln't mind checking out your garage. I grew up in Madisonville and am usually around Covington everyday. Let me know and we can hook something up.

Thanks,
DD

chuckbam
01-29-2004, 09:28 PM
Chuckbam,
I wouln't mind checking out your garage. I grew up in Madisonville and am usually around Covington everyday. Let me know and we can hook something up.

Thanks,
DD

DD:
That sounds good. I would enjoy meeting you. Just give me a couple weeks. I am in the middle of an expansion project.
chuckbam

KevinM
01-29-2004, 10:00 PM
DD - You must be talking about Billy. I've bought several from him over the past few months and yes he does have some cool looking fish. I even have had 2 pairs spawn numerous times in my 180. Ive seperated one pair to their own 29 and I'm trying to get the water right so the eggs will hatch. Here's a couple of pics. (Hope this works.) 8)
Kevin

KevinM
01-29-2004, 10:01 PM
How about now.
KM

KevinM
01-29-2004, 10:05 PM
Please excuse the funky angle . He's always begging at the front glass.
Ok now for the female.
KM

DiscusDawg
01-30-2004, 12:10 AM
KevinM,

It is Billy and his fish look awesome. When I was over there last Saturday I wanted to buy all his fish. I have to get back with him probably this weekend>

KevinM
01-30-2004, 12:17 AM
Dawg - Make sure you post some pics. I left a message with his wife this afternoon for him to give me a call so I can see what he has. I'll try to see if I can go by tomorrow after work. 8)
Kevin

DiscusDawg
01-30-2004, 12:24 AM
He had some pretty good size fish starting at $35 and going up. He had the biggest Royal Clown pleco I have ever seen. I want to buy it bad. You live in Covington also?

KevinM
01-30-2004, 02:14 PM
Dawg - Yes I also live in Covington and SteveS and Chuckbam live down the road in Mandeville. Did you get any of Billy's fish? I've got a call into him now. I'm hope he'll call me before I head north across the pond. 8)
Kevin

KevinM
01-30-2004, 07:07 PM
Chuck - what have you tried so far? How long has it been this way?
Kevin

Amadhunter
01-30-2004, 10:21 PM
Who, where, and how would I get in touch with Billy? :)

DiscusDawg
01-31-2004, 12:26 AM
Billy advertises in the times picayune. If you go to nola.com classifieds it will be discus large $35. His phone # is with the add. How are the discus in sulphur?

DiscusDawg
01-31-2004, 12:34 AM
Kevin,
It has been about a month. I used Metro and epson salt and no good.
The fish eats.

Why don't you take a stab at it. It is from GLD.
Chuck, I will try that fish if you have not culled it yet. I can pick it up tomorrow. Give me a call Home 601 749 9705 Cell 337 319 6142. I have an appointment at 7 and then I am going to New Orleans to finish some work and hopefully see Billy! Call me on my cell if you like, I will be waiting to hear from you. DD

DiscusDawg
01-31-2004, 12:53 AM
Kevin,
It has been about a month. I used Metro and epson salt and no good.
The fish eats.
Call my cell now if you want,and we can talk about him. I didn't know youwere still up.

Why don't you take a stab at it. It is from GLD.
Chuck, I will try that fish if you have not culled it yet. I can pick it up tomorrow. Give me a call Home 601 749 9705 Cell 337 319 6142. I have an appointment at 7 and then I am going to New Orleans to finish some work and hopefully see Billy! Call me on my cell if you like, I will be waiting to hear from you. DD

I will give you a call. You can have the fish.
CB

KevinM
01-31-2004, 11:15 AM
Chuck - I'll have to pass on the refuge. I have a PB pair I'm trying to spawn and hopefully will need my spare 30g for fries. I know, I Know don't count your fries until they're free-swimming, or something to that effect. Did DDawg come by and pick him up?

Amand - I was over in Hackberry last week on a job. Wish I knew you were there we could have got together and compared notes. Wouldn't it be closer to Houston for you to find breeders? Have you tried this post below? 8)
Kevin

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=18;action=display;threadid=2337

KevinM
01-31-2004, 12:30 PM
Chuck - Have you been spawning any discus lately? If so let me know what kind of success you've been having and your water params. I've started mixing r/o with my tap to bring down the TDS to around 90ppm. Any insight would be helpful. Also, where have you ordered your discus from? 8)
thanks
Kevin

DiscusDawg
02-01-2004, 12:20 AM
Hey.... That looks like a garage I visited today. Little puff belly seems to be doing okay in his new home.

Kevin,

Picked up 4 fish today from Billy. You had better hurry cuz I might go back and clean him out for awhile. Tomorrow I will try to post some pics especially of those monster royal clown plecos. They look like 2" pipes.

chuckbam
02-01-2004, 12:26 AM
Hey DD:
Post the new Discus also, they looked real good !

DiscusDawg
02-01-2004, 12:35 AM
I'm gonna do it. I should have said I got 6 fish (2 plecos 4 Discus). My battery went dead in my camera, guess from showing you those frog pictures. How was the drape hanging Exibition? Hope you were not too late.

chuckbam
02-01-2004, 12:41 AM
I'm gonna do it. I should have said I got 6 fish (2 plecos 4 Discus). My battery went dead in my camera, guess from showing you those frog pictures. How was the drape hanging Exibition? Hope you were not too late.

My sister is a pain in the a but I got them up anyway. Can't waite to see the pics. Add the lochaes to the posting , OK.

It was good meeting you today,
CB

DiscusDawg
02-01-2004, 12:52 AM
Hi

I would like to introduce myself as another Discus Hobbyist in the New Orleans area. I started breeding Discus back in 1982. I kept down sizing after each of several moves. In 1997 I decided to accept a sales position that would keep me “on the road” for weeks at a time. That was the finish to my Discus hobby.

I have recently moved to Covington and have set up a one car garage to accommodate around 40 some tanks and a little over 1,000 gallon capacity. I am also interested in other freshwater fish and Plants. Like Rams and Tetras etc. I am just starting out again and am growing fish from JW, GLD and Universal.

I was looking for a fish club in this area. Is there anything ?

Best Regards,
chuckbam
I would also like to know if we have any clubs. We should since we have a dozen or more "hobbyist"

Keven: I purched my fish from Jack W, Great Lakes Discus and Universal ou of SF, They all have some gowing to do. Maybe in 8 months or so, I can get something going. I dreamed about setting something up for about 5 years now.

http://chuckbam.com/FishRoom_files/FullView.JPG

DiscusDawg
02-01-2004, 12:58 AM

My sister is a pain in the a but I got them up anyway. Can't waite to see the pics. Add the lochaes to the posting , OK.

I know about that cuz I have a sister too. I will take pictures of Puff Belly and the 12 Loach Crew. Thanks, it was nice meeting you too. I would like to meet everyone that is a discus lover. It is nice to find people that care and know more than me. I had to turn the lite off in the big tank cuz my pigeon started chasing the other 4. DD
It was good meeting you today,
CB

Amadhunter
02-02-2004, 12:59 AM
I will be comming through Baton Rouge either Wed., Thurs., or Fri. this week, going to French Settlement to pick up some stuff for my Jeep. Was wondering if there might be someone in the Discus business, or hobby, somewhere between Lake Charles and New Orleans I outta try to check with on the trip?
:)

DiscusDawg
02-02-2004, 01:18 AM
Check out photo gallery. Pictures of fish I got from Billy yesterday.

Amadhunter
02-02-2004, 01:30 AM
Chuck - I'll have to pass on the refuge. I have a PB pair I'm trying to spawn and hopefully will need my spare 30g for fries. I know, I Know don't count your fries until they're free-swimming, or something to that effect. Did DDawg come by and pick him up?

Amand - I was over in Hackberry last week on a job. Wish I knew you were there we could have got together and compared notes. Wouldn't it be closer to Houston for you to find breeders? Have you tried this post below? 8)
Kevin

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=18;action=display;threadid=2337

That would be cool, I live on the north side of Sulphur, not too far out of the way for you going to Hberry. :) Next time you make the trip gimme a call. 337-274-9882

Amadhunter
02-02-2004, 01:33 AM
Billy advertises in the times picayune. If you go to nola.com classifieds it will be discus large $35. His phone # is with the add. How are the discus in sulphur?

We only have one LFS in the area that handles Discus. Fintastic Aquarium, nice folks, some good discus. Just not a big selection.
Thnks for the info. :)

DiscusDawg
02-16-2004, 11:47 PM
Amadhunter,

Did you ever get fish from billy?

DiscusDawg
02-16-2004, 11:48 PM
PS Beth has some nice fishes for sale.

DiscusDawg
02-16-2004, 11:52 PM
PSS---- Liz in Hattiesburg has some awesome fish too!! ;D ;D ;D

KevinM
02-17-2004, 12:10 AM
DD - Beth now has 4 less fish for sale. hehehe.....
Kevin

DiscusDawg
02-17-2004, 12:12 AM
You must be a lucky Dawg!! ;D

When are we gonna get together so I can see your fish? ???

DiscusDawg
02-17-2004, 12:14 AM
PS---- Didn't you say there was another person besides Chuck on the Northshore?

02-17-2004, 12:48 AM
Hey Kevin.....

how are the babies ???

http://images.snapfish.com/3399%3B%3C2723232%7Ffp54%3Dot%3E2327%3D%3A49%3D858 %3DXROQDF%3E23234%3A78373%3A5ot1lsi

Thanks for stopping by ;)

DiscusDawg
02-17-2004, 03:28 PM
Why is that guy smiling? He must have just picked up some HAWGS!! ;D

chuckbam
02-17-2004, 03:30 PM
Why is that guy smiling? He must have just picked up some HAWGS!! ;D

NOW NOW :-X

DiscusDawg
02-17-2004, 05:44 PM
Not TONY, I was talking about KEVIN!!!!! ;D

KevinM
02-17-2004, 09:41 PM
He's smiling because he got some of those cool fish Beth bred and raised. She still has some very fine looking BD's that look like they were dipped in blue in case you guys wanna get some.

DD - I'll be on vacation all of next week so send me a PM and we'll get together so you can drool...hehehe. I'm sure Chuck will want to come along also. Oh yeah, the other guy over on the Nortshore is SteveS. He bought some of Liz's

Beth - thanks for the hospitality and the great fish. They're the biggest 4.5" I've seen. They're all doing fine and were eating Colorbits and CBW last night. I'll post some pics soon as I get a chance. 8)
Kevin

DiscusDawg
02-18-2004, 12:25 AM
4.5" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought they were only 3.5" to 4". I need some more tanks NOW!!!!! ;D

DiscusDawg
02-18-2004, 07:54 PM
OK Cajun Country, how many of us are going to Atlanta for Southern Discus? I think I'm bringing some crawfish so that we can throw down and scare them with the "tail pinching and head sucking heads"

Amadhunter
02-19-2004, 02:42 AM
LOL, you think they can handle watchin us pinch tails n suck heads?
I'll bring the home made hooch!

chuckbam
02-19-2004, 03:14 AM
He's smiling because he got some of those cool fish Beth bred and raised. She still has some very fine looking BD's that look like they were dipped in blue in case you guys wanna get some.

DD - I'll be on vacation all of next week so send me a PM and we'll get together so you can drool...hehehe. I'm sure Chuck will want to come along also. Oh yeah, the other guy over on the Nortshore is SteveS. He bought some of Liz's

Beth - thanks for the hospitality and the great fish. They're the biggest 4.5" I've seen. They're all doing fine and were eating Colorbits and CBW last night. I'll post some pics soon as I get a chance. 8)
Kevin

Hay:
DawgyDawgy :
Lets go see Kevin's fish 8)

DiscusDawg
02-19-2004, 10:32 AM
Hey Kevin,

Chucky and I are ready to see some fish!!! Let us know when we can come by.

P.S. Beth it was real nice talking to you yesterday. I learned....what did I learn... Oh Shoot, I know I learned something. ;D

DiscusDawg
02-19-2004, 10:33 AM
Northshore Steve S.,

Wheres the pics???? ??? ;D

DiscusDawg
02-20-2004, 03:54 PM
WAKE UP AMERICA!!!! ;D

DiscusDawg
02-20-2004, 04:42 PM
TESTING!!! ;D

CALLING ALL CAJONS!!! ;D

PLEASE REPORT TO YOUR WATER CHANGE STATION!!! ;D

KevinM
02-20-2004, 09:24 PM
Chuck, DD - If you guys are available Saturday afternoon after 3:30 pm you are welcome to come by. Send me a pm or e-mail and I will send your directions and my telephone number. 8)
Kevin

DiscusDawg
02-21-2004, 11:15 PM
Hey Kevin,

Was nice talking to you last nite. Can't wait til Chuck and I make it over to check out the fish.

DiscusDawg
02-21-2004, 11:17 PM
Did you see that they added a live fish auction in Atlanta? That's gonna be awesome!! ;D

chuckbam
02-21-2004, 11:27 PM
Hey Kevin,

Was nice talking to you last nite. Can't wait til Chuck and I make it over to check out the fish.

Same with me !

http://chuckbam.com/System/boyandmower.gif

KevinM
02-21-2004, 11:50 PM
Let me know when you guys can make it.
Kevin

DiscusDawg
03-03-2004, 09:35 PM
Sad news Kevin. 1 of those Martians went to the big aquarium in the sky yesterday. :'( :'(

KevinM
03-03-2004, 10:22 PM
Sorry to heart that Dawg. I also lost one of my smallest PB in the 180 a couple of days ago. Keep an eye on the other one. Was it the green martian or the blue one?
Kevin

DiscusDawg
03-03-2004, 11:21 PM
The darker one! :'(