PDA

View Full Version : How do I know I'm ready?

dred
07-20-2003, 11:15 PM
Alright,

It occured to me recently that Discus keeping may appear overwhelming to many of the folks that pop in and see us foaming at the mouth about seemingly trivial things.

So, I started to think about what really matters. And, it occured to me that the list of things that a discus keeper must understand and master is actually pretty darned short.

So, I want to start a list of things I should be embarassed not to know and understand if I claim my fish are happy and healthy - I don't call it an idiot's guide 'cause although I don't believe it's difficult, I don't believe an idiot could ever really be up to the task.

My perspective just demands we meet the minimum needs of Discus which I define as: shelter, food, security, companionship.

I'm hoping y'all will add to this list, 'cause I'm not making claims <smile>. Well, I think you absolutely must:

1. understand the "shelter" needs of discus
1.1 Low nitrAte tolerance; very sensitive to ammonia and nitrite
1.2 environmental conditions (light, temperature)
1.3 implications of bioload on discus population density (10 gal rule)
1.4 understand water chemistry
1.4.1 the relationship between pH, carbonate hardness, oxygen and CO2
1.4.2 how to maintain stable pH
1.4.3 how water chemistry can be affected by tank occupants including plants, substrate, etc.
1.5 understand the nitrogen cycle
1.5.1 how ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are produced
1.5.2 how biological filters are selected, cycled, and maintained
1.5.3 how the nitrogen cycle constantly increases the nitrate concentration
1.5.4 relationship between bioload and the nitrogen cycle

2. understand the nutritional needs of discus
2.1 implications of feeding strategy on bioload
2.2 be informed about the various foods and their benefits
2.3 be informed about the various forms of food and their benefits

3. understand the security and companionship needs of discus
3.1 the different stages of discus development
3.2 their needs at each stage of development you encounter
3.3 ability to identify and interpret discus stress signals
3.4 understand that stressed discus most often get very sick or die if the stressor is not managed

Well, lots of folks have written books at one time or another that attempt to address all of these issues. Many are very, very good. And, they are all addressed in real time here on the forum if you want to keep up with the latest and greatest. Anyway, wonder if this might help someone. Was fun to think up at any rate - who knows, maybe it's a first strike at the table of contents for my book <LOL>.

brewmaster15
07-21-2003, 04:58 PM
Milton,
You are in DEEP!!! :) How about a collaboration...

I Need a Life....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't know what motivated me to write this but does any of this apply to any of you...

Guidelines for the successful integration of Discus into the hobbyist's family….. Part I
By Al Sabetta (8/30/01)

Acquiring a new discus is often a traumatic event in the life of your average family member. It is something that needs to be remembered so permanent damage is not done your loved ones( fish and humans). It is my hope that this article will offer you some insight on this potentially dangerous time. The scenario usually goes as follows …

1 Although the family of the discus hobbyist feels the afflicted individual has more than enough Discus already, the addicted hobbyist usually brings up the subject of getting a new fish. There is always a large learning curve here, with the hobbyist making many mistakes in the presentation of this subject. Though certainly not a concrete set of guidelines , here are some do's and don'ts.
Don't bring the subject up during intimate moments
Don't mention it at holiday /birthday times- it puts undue stress on the spouse knowing that unless you get your fish you will be unhappy.
Don't tell your 5 year old you'll be putting her toy box in the attic to make room for a new tank and fish.
Don't bring it up after denying someone in you family a night out at the moves.

Do use wine, flowers, and power tool gifts to soften the spouse up.
A trip to the amusement park works well on young kids, though a trip to disney is necessary for the Toy Box removal.
Dollar for dollar spending agreements work well. For example agree that for every dollar spent on discus the family can spend a dollar on food.

2. With luck you will eventually succeed in being allowed to purchase that fish, but this does not mean the fish will be accepted into the household. There will be deep seated feelings of jeoulosy that you will need to over come….
After all, another fish means less the family will see of you as you will be doing more maintainence on tanks.
It also means that they will have to take less showers because you really have need of the water for more important things.
No weekend travel now because you blew the Gas money on that wild green discus.

Your only real chance of overcoming this is to make the family believe the discus is truly part of the household. I suggest the following...
Setting a place at the table , and buy a 45 gal hex tank or 20gal high. Set this up on a chair by the dinner table so the fish can be moved to it during dinner time. Its very important for a family to have sit down meals together.
A water bed in the childrens room can act like a bunk bed if you get the clear matress and fit it with a large enough opening for the fish to easily be moved into and out of. This kind of closeness is bound to form a strong bond between the child and the fish.
As a final suggestion here, investing in a pool water truck and retrofitting it with windows will easily allow you to take all the discus with you on the family outtings and vacations.

Part 2 to follow….topics...
…Dealing with fish homocide… do you press charges or just divorce
….Introducing the fish to its new "school"
….parental support during those dating years
….retirement planning… to flush or bury? A cost/size analysis
....?

I honestly am not sampling my homebrew, just feeling a little out of it today. Inlaws are visiting among other things. Any suggestions for topics in part 2...?
-al

brewmaster15
07-21-2003, 05:00 PM
The Discus Poem
« on: December 15, 2002, 04:46:35 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've worked all morning, my tanks are clean,
My Discus are Happy, a joy to be seen.

They guard their eggs, they raise their Fry,
I'm so happy, I'm going to cry.

I watch my discus glide with grace,
That hobbyist smile across my face.

Their Eyes are bright and crystal clear,
They rush to greet me as I draw near.

I feed them food, they feed my soul,
Glad I am, to keep them was my Goal.

A. Sabetta 12/2002

Mike_Selley
07-21-2003, 05:11 PM
Great poem Brew! You can tell it's from the voice of experience!!

dred
07-21-2003, 08:37 PM
Alright discus peoples. I only started the research for my first discus purchase in April 2003. Are you to have me think that I've got it all figured out? Blasphemy <LOL>!!

Brew, I like your writing. But if I understand correctly, I'm now basically doomed to remain single forever - guess I can live with that if the fish are happy <LOL>. Collaboration? You half serious? I do have a couple ideas brewing for simply - skeered <LOL>?

Willie
07-21-2003, 09:29 PM
Single or not, you'll be spending a lot of time alone when you get discus obsession. Major difference is someone will usually give you a food processor for the beefheart when you get married! ;D

Willie

April
07-22-2003, 02:26 AM
LOL Willie. now why on earth did i not think of remarrying when i needed that food processor!!! couldve saved me a trip to the store to buy it.....

dred
07-22-2003, 12:29 PM
LOL,

Dvorced Black Male with own Food Processor and Pots seeks Female to share the joys of Discus, Dogs, Classic Cars and Fishing on Saturday afternoons between 1pm and 4pm in Houston, TX.

Ok, couldn't resist. But, now that I sit back and take a look, I'm thinking maybe I should be single <LOL>.

Willie
07-22-2003, 10:53 PM
A woman with a food processor who likes discus? That's pretty hard to resist, April. If only you enjoyed water changes more!

Willie ;D