PDA

View Full Version : carbon and bio material

trizoy
07-20-2003, 11:41 PM
I have a couple of questions.

First, what are your opinions of using activated carbonin a discus tank. I have been using marineland's diamond blend carbon and have recently discontinued its use due to a suggestion from a local breeder.

Second, now that I no longer use the carbon I have a space left in my emperor 280 filter to add something. The space was previously occupied by a plastic carbon media conatianer and I would like to refill it with something more beneficial. I was thinking of adding those bio balls that are used in wet/dry filters. If so is there a brand of bio material that you recomend. Or is there something elso that you would recomend to put in the container.

Also, I was wondering if I add bio balls, will they work effectively because they will be completely submersed in water in the filter and have minimal oxygen available to grow beneficial bacteria colonies.

Thanks for your help.

discuskrib
07-21-2003, 01:53 PM
in most of my filters i have just replaced the carbon with filter floss. works for me.

Carol_Roberts
07-21-2003, 06:39 PM
You can do one of two things . . . You can buy a sponge for a different filter and cut it to fit or you can buy a cell-pore slab made to fit that filter.

aix
07-22-2003, 07:12 AM
Eheim substrat works usually extremely well.

barron
07-22-2003, 08:36 AM
Hi

agree with all, however I like Aix suggestion.
I will be using it.

Bio-Ball will not work, you will not get enough in the filter.

Barron