PDA

View Full Version : What is your sign?

henryD
07-22-2003, 02:32 PM
Sounds like a cheesy pick up line I know. But I was reading through some of the post...particularly this one.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=21;action=display;threadid=11370;s tart=0;boardseen=1

It got me thinking of the different type of personality discus people are. I was wondering if we all have a common thread.

Since we are all unique individuals we have complex personality. I am sure it is difficult to classify yourself into one particular catagory. I guess what I am trying to get at is if all discus keepers are reclusive. I don't mean that we are hermits. But I figured the amount of time we all spend doing tank maintance must mean we enjoy being alone.

I will start......I maybe sick but I really enjoy doing water changes. The 2 hours that I spend doing it gives me time to relax and think of nothing. I am not stressed about work, family, or finances. So if anyone has a cave for sale that will hold lots of tank let me know.

So are the majority of discus owners most happy being alone or in a crowd?

brewmaster15
07-22-2003, 02:44 PM
most happy being alone or in a crowd?
Both. I enjoy my solitude but enjoy people..just each in their time and place. :)

But I figured the amount of time we all spend doing tank maintance must mean we enjoy being alone.
yes... but look at all the time we spend on online. Is that a compensation mechanism?

The majority of my friendships have developed from this hobby. I have a few friends that don't keep fish, but I honestly find them strange ;) :)

-al

daninthesand
07-22-2003, 02:57 PM
I relish my time alone. Not necessarily with just discus, but i also enjoy many hobbies, most of which tend to be solitary pursuits. My wife and I both work shift work, so we never need an excuse to have our own time, our scedules provide that for us already.

I also love spending time with close friends and familly, and we frequently have larger get togethers at our home.

susankay1
07-22-2003, 02:59 PM
Alone during tank water changes? Not me, hubby and I spend this time talking about the fish, the condition of the water, etc. We do water testing and feeding together and lots of times, friends stop by to see how our brood is doing. We both enjoy being alone together, I know that sounds like a contradiction, but we have worked together for 25 years and we enjoy each others company, and now our fish, along with 6 cats.

Wolf
07-22-2003, 02:59 PM
My sign is Pisces of course. I enjoy the company of friends but I don't enjoy crowds. NYC was an absolute nightmare for me I couldn't wait to get out of that dirty city and back to my clean Texas tanks. Colorado is much like Texas and I'm enjoying it so far. The hour it takes me to do water changes is relaxing. Kind of like cleaning a pool but on a smaller scale. I also enjoy fishing quite a bit which is all about solitude, time alone with good friends, and self reflection much like keeping discus.

henryD
07-22-2003, 03:11 PM
Susan,

I want to say I envy you. Doing water changes with your husband and enjoying the time together. But the more I think of it. The more I enjoy doing it by myself.

You must have a very strong relationship if you can work together for 25 years. WOW :o :o

I hope my relationship will get to that point.

Henry the aquarius.

brewmaster15
07-22-2003, 03:19 PM
Oh yeah ..if it wasn't obvious ;)... I'm a bull headed Taurus ;D
-al

scotz
07-22-2003, 05:42 PM
I enjoy my time alone in my fish room, either changing water or just observing my fish.

I would have to say though that I am more of a social person - I like to meet people and go to parties !! ;D

And Al like you I am a bullheaded Taurus >:( - just ask my wife !! LOL

Scotz

fcdiscus
07-22-2003, 05:47 PM
Cancer here! A water sign! LOL- and yes, I love my alone time! Frank ;)

Carol_Roberts
07-22-2003, 07:04 PM
I'm seeing a trend here. There is no place I'd rather be than home working on the fish or SimplyDiscus. I love having my extended family over, but don't socialize much otherwise. . . .

Scorpio

limige
07-22-2003, 07:13 PM
lol, i'm a scorpio as well, live alone and kinda enjoy the peace, get to see my happy fish, the babies, and my rabbit. i think the ex was more trouble than she was worth, lol. she didn't care much for my fish, made me keep them all in the basement :-X
i'm not a big socializer either. i usually get headaches in crouds of poeple, love car shows but haven't been to the woodward cruise yet because i hate the crouds.

April
07-22-2003, 10:54 PM
Alright...aries.which is meant to be firey....well....maybe the water doused the flames out. ive always sat back and watched and listened. and i too get a headache from too much commotion or going to big gatherings.
although..i thoroughly enjoy socializing on simply...
and ive met some simply members and it was great. had no trouble finding things to talk about.
think the one thing i like about discus is im a tad obsessive about collecting things. once i start...its all or none.

mitch1313
07-22-2003, 11:41 PM
Hey, if we're scorpios does that mean that we all need to go out and get some scorpion discus? i'm not much of a social person although i like to socialize. I'm just too busy too go call my friends. i do alot of family stuff though. hey limige, i see you live in harper woods, i live in St. Clair Shores so i'm like right next to you, we'll have to come check out eachothers discus sometime!

Keith.L
07-23-2003, 12:14 AM
Scorpion discus? Hmm.

Well well, another Scorpio here. It is kind of interesting for me to think that what I do sometimes may not be entirely a "guy" thing... My Other Half thinks only weirdo (like me) will ever sit in front of the tank for an extended period of time and get fixated on the fish. Anybody else get this habit? (Staring at fish, that is.)

For the moment life is in the fast lane for me with plenty of travels. I do enjoy the fast pace - but once in a while I like to slow down and take a break. And stare at my fish...

-Keith 030723

lwarctic
07-23-2003, 12:35 AM
I enjoy my time alone also. My wife wouldn't even think about helping change 400 gallons of water each day. It's nice to get out of the house and be in the garage alone without 4 girls around me. (I love my girls)

By the way I am Pisces. (The fish)

Les

:-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

rickk
07-23-2003, 12:50 AM
Hi Guys. Scorpio here, I like to socialize, like meeting new people and experience new things, I work with my wife from home which is awesome and share a passion for our discus hoby (although I do all the W/C's). and yes i spend hours just watching our fish.

P.S since finding Simply I now have an obsession with the computer.

Rick

acorn54
07-23-2003, 01:51 AM
i like to be in the fishroom (my bedroom). it is a world unto it's own with no pressure and an escape from the dismal real world. the attraction with discus can be summed up like this. they are the most exotic fish what with the babies feeding off the parents. plus the different varieties and the shape of the discus fish.

paulmat
07-23-2003, 01:59 AM
I knew you were a scorpio Carol, even though I don't know you ,You remind me of my big sister, in that your everybodys big sister/mom here at Simply ;D
BTW Im a Virgo ;)

Paul :guitarist:

Carol_Roberts
07-23-2003, 02:16 AM
Hey, my little sister is a Virgo - we'd get along just great ;D

Steve_Warner
07-23-2003, 02:21 AM
Hi all,
I'm a Cap and I have no idea what my tendancies are in relation to that sign.......Maybe it's having no clue ;D Anyway, I like to be on my own most of the time, as I have many things I can do by myself. I do like to socialize with people, but I too get headaches in crowds of people..........this is a weird one. Maybe we need more Oxygen than the socializers. Hmmmm, maybe we're aerobic bacteria reincarnated ;D I really like to research things that interest me to find out the who/what/where/when/why/how's, but there just isn't enough time for it all. Oh well, such is life.

Steve

limige
07-23-2003, 07:04 AM
Hey, if we're scorpios does that mean that we all need to go out and get some scorpion discus? i'm not much of a social person although i like to socialize. I'm just too busy too go call my friends. i do alot of family stuff though. hey limige, i see you live in harper woods, i live in St. Clair Shores so i'm like right next to you, we'll have to come check out eachothers discus sometime!

that would be fine, i'm still trying to finish up some painting and stuff around here, but shortly i will be doing alot of work to my fishroom. maybe i'll have some turks for sale in the future, i have 2 confirmed turks pairs and one set that looks like they are pairing. so odds are good ;)

angel12
07-23-2003, 07:30 AM
Steve in reagards to being a Capricorn the traits you have mentioned are classic examples of the above star sign the desire to know as much as you possibly can about a given subject the desire also to want to spend time on your own with your own thoughts but heres the one that does not sit with Capricorns the value of money we tend to be money orientated but with the Discus fever this Cant be true ! I know im always Broke the slightest bit of money I have is spent on my Girls ...

Obv the kids and Er indoors come first then the Discus (my Girls) and the Dog and then ME ....

never mind im happy and thats all that counts ....

ReeferKimberly
07-23-2003, 08:48 AM
i'm aquarius,
i was born right on the day it started, on the capricorn/aquarian cusp jan 21. i think someone told me it was special or something, but lol, i don't remember. anywayz i'm suppost to be stubbornly unable to give up my goals and will do anything to achieve them, i guess thats right b/c i have now had like over 40 spawns and all either fungused over or were eaten ;)
well aquarius being the water bearer, i sure pull my water bearing wieght around here.
kimberly :-*

lovdiscus
07-23-2003, 09:22 AM
Aries here.....suppose to be outgoing...well...used to be.
I lived the party life when I was young....used to love to go out and dance..but now I prefer my solitude.
My husband would not help me if I begged him...he wants no part of the fish. He likes to look at them but that is it.
I am a recluse I quess. People tend to freak me out at times. I am ok on small scales but afraid to committ to any close relationship outside of my family.
My best friend was shot and killed 4 years ago and I was in so much pain after that, I decided not to get close anymore.
I miss not having any close friends. My mother and husband are my best friends now.....and my fishies...lol.
Talking about fish is safe and impersonal. THat is easy.
I can talk to customers for hours about fish....lol.
My husband is a police officer and gone alot on calls.
My son is going to graduate next year.....so he is also gone alot. I am alone most of the time. I like it.
Yes.....I find cleaning my tanks very relaxing. I have now over 100 tanks to clean......it does get overwhelming at times. But it does keep me in shape....lol.
Sometimes I wonder what it would be like not to have to clean a tank.....or feed fish. That would be weird.
I have been doing it for years now. Right now....I have no time to socialize.....too busy.
This is my outlet to socialize....the board and my on line friends.

henryD
07-23-2003, 10:31 AM
Hmmmm I see a pattern here.

Although I would consider interacting in an online community socializing. I could see how one would still view it as being a 'non social" trait. Alright I will stop; no more physco babble.

dred
07-23-2003, 01:15 PM
LMAO. A very lazy water signed Scorpio here; with a little brother Virgo <LOL>.

Now to look for the patterns <smile>.

The edit:
Wow, more information than I expected. I"m a classic scorpio that identifies strongly with the Eagle (scorps are scorpions, eagles or pheonixs). There is very little said about scorps that is not true of me.

I tend to erect sturdy barriers between the different parts of my life. As much as I play here there are surely things about me that'd surprise folks if they ever found me somewhere else. I play at other peoples houses, but rarely entertain more than my closest friends at home. My closest friends are the ones that cross the barriers with me. Since that sounds too cloak and dagger, I'll explain that I know very few people that enjoy either orchestral or hip hop music as much as me - I get close to the folks that enjoy both for what they offer. So, I might have a group of friends that own Tux's and join me at the orchestra and another urban group that can dance with the best of'm.

Loner ... yes. But with plenty of crazy friends to keep me company if that makes any sense.

LOL, oh and my meyers briggs is INTP (like my hero Einstein's).

Ryan
07-23-2003, 05:22 PM
I'm Aquarius (January 30th)...

I like to be alone most of the time. I have a fair number of friends online and that I talk to on the phone, and a small handful who come over and hang out... however, I don't like to go out and be social most of the time. Dinner and the movies is about it for me -- no bars, parties, clubs, etc.

And yes, I do spend most of my time online, either at Simply or one of the other sites I manage/moderate.

Ryan

cgrim10
07-23-2003, 05:58 PM
Saggitarious(sp), looks right. the archer, whatever that means.
unless it is a bowhunting hermit, i don't know.
a homebody by choice, an accident a few years ago changed my life. i do enjoy crowds, as long as i can keep a safe distance, like on tv or in the paper.
am i the only the only sag. here? really?

ReeferKimberly
07-23-2003, 07:16 PM
ok someone make a poll, go aquarius go, ok maybe i will make the poll........
kimberly :-*

07-24-2003, 01:05 AM
Time to throw in a Libra.

That would be me, who would have guessed that lol.

I not only enjoy some time alone, I need it.
I also am not a very big fan of crowds except in a stadium.

Ronald

Sketchy
07-24-2003, 02:52 PM
...Aries here, and my fish are all of the red inclination...
...the water involved counters my fiery personality and calms me
...nothing I like better than showing off my fish to people who visit!
...Discus keeping is a hobby I never get bored with

lesley
07-25-2003, 04:08 AM
Hi Ronald, another Libran here!!

I am finding this post interesting - it seems to me that there could be a fairly common thread running through the personalities of avid discus people.

I too hate crowds, like to see plenty of exits if I'm in a crowded room!! Although my work as a support person in a large call centre means that I interact with lots of people face to face and over the phone, I don't think that most of my workmates know much about me, my fault, because small talk bores me. I find that many people don't understand my desire to delve into the detail, and consider my discus keeping an obsession!!! lol, how could that be??? My boss has suggested that I join "discus anonymous" and thinks if there isn't one already, that I should start it!!. Read lots of books almost never watch TV, tend to like my own company.

Will be interesting to see what the "average" discus keeper is like!