PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Good Quality Discus

Joel
07-24-2003, 05:26 AM
I'm new to discus keeping and I'm unsure of what traits to look for in a good qualit discus. I know how to choose healthy discus : eye to body size ratio, round body and all those but is there anyway of looking at a juvenile discus and knowing how it will look? I keep on reading about juvenile discus showing highlights but what does it mean? Does it mean looking for 4 month old discus with some nice colours at the sides that will develop later on?

Carol_Roberts
07-24-2003, 04:44 PM
I would look for healthy, bright eyed, round discus that eat heartily. Discus that swim to the front of the tank in anticipation of food. Most young discus are pretty drab. Pick whichever pattern appeals to you.

April
07-24-2003, 10:47 PM
where would you like to get your first discus? why not a well known breeder or hobbyist who can help you select and explain why he chose that one.so you can learn.
most lfs carry pigeon bloods as more colour.
some of the striated strains.which are very nice looking adults are as carol said. a drab brown. but.as adults they most likely will have nice red and blue striations.
where do you live? we have a hobbyist breeder post....and there is sure to be someone near you you can go see their fish and learn. we may know whos near you .
best also to get all them at the same place same time. less problems. and.breeder hobbyists are usually comparable or lower priced than most lfs.
welcome to simplydiscus and please let us know what you get. we all love to hear. and if you need help no matter how trivial.post away. :wave:

Carol_Roberts
07-25-2003, 12:52 AM
Joel's flag says Malaysia. He should have many local places to choose from.

Joel
07-25-2003, 02:46 AM
I'm going dizzy from the variety I see. Just to name all that I can remember seeing are white, red-white, blue snakeskin, turquoise, red turquoise, malboro, pigeon, leopard red, red melon, blue, virgin red, sky blue and a many more. And I've only been to a few shops in my area!

April
07-25-2003, 04:06 AM
oh...welll then.....you will go crazy . lucky guy....we do have orient on here as a member....and he has quite a few fish about.Hes in maylasia but..sounds like you will have no problem finding good fish.
one word of advice...you cannot possibly have every strain. you will have 500 tanks. so....choose a few strains and get about 4 pr 5 of each and hope you get a pair. or..get one of each...if you just want a display tank.
what size tank do you have?

Joel
07-25-2003, 07:29 AM
I just added what I have into my signature. I'm going to get another pair of pigeons.