PDA

View Full Version : Repairing my Dual 80 Glass Aquariums.

FischAutoTechGarten
07-24-2003, 02:08 PM
Looking for DIY advice on my two 80 Gallon Glass Aquariums. I'm going to post photos of the ends, edges, joints etc.... to solicit responses on whether I should and how I should go about repairing/reinforcing these.

I'm going to do the same for the stand that I constructed that holds them both.

Presently I have the tanks up for sale, but I am open to trying once more to repair them as I can do it slowly over the next few weeks as my 120 Gallon tank has my 23 juvenile Discus for the time being.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//attachments/DrainingLeftLeakingTank.jpg

ronrca
07-24-2003, 05:00 PM
Well, start off by cleaning the edges of the glass that you plan on siliconing. First use a razon blade to remove the silicon then a solvent like Mythonal Hydrate, Lacaer Thinner, etc to clean the glass.

If using a piece of glass cut by yourself, make sure to sand the edges of the glass. No sharp edges for two reasons; one being that rounded edges offers more surface area to bond to and second safety.

I use a double siliconing procedure when building/repairing tanks. The first bead of silicon is on the edge of the glass where the replacement piece will rest on. Then I put the two pieces of glass together and wait 1/2hour+. The second bead of silicon is now in the corner of the two pieces of glass. This method is virtually leak proof and really works well (Thanks to Smokey).

luke_potts
07-25-2003, 05:05 AM
Peter,
i posted a short :-\ response in Setting up my 120, sorry i didnt look before a posted. I have had a fair bit of experience in repairing 2nd hand and building new tanks, so if i can help.............. let me know

Cheers
Luke

luke_potts
07-25-2003, 09:14 AM
This joint looks fine to me, if im looking at it right??? this is the same way i join all mine

Luke

ronrca
07-25-2003, 10:04 AM
Actually, no sides pieces should rest on the bottom because the added weight on the bottom piece can cause cracks. None of my tanks have any of the side pieces resting on the bottom. Yes, this is normal. When you buy tanks for the store, the bottom piece sometimes is even raised an inch higher than the sides. This allows an even distribution of weight on the bottom piece of glass which is only supporting the weight of the water, not the side pieces. ;)

dred
07-25-2003, 12:11 PM
Pete,

I'm popping in late here, but enter any old dimensions and select "glass". This site details the most reliable way to join glass panels into a leak free tank.

hth, milton

http://www.garf.org/Tank/BuildTank.asp

ronrca
07-25-2003, 04:50 PM
Wow! For $40 bucks, I sure would buy them and repair them. ;) Ive build a few tanks already and repaired some. Yesterday was my lucky day! They are renovating my office and had some 5mm glass standing in the corner of an office. I asked and took 2 pieces 36 1/4" x 75 1/2" and 1 piece 24 1/4" x 51 1/2" home. ;D More tanks! ;D

Thought Id just add that the front, back and sides of the tank do not rest on the bottom piece. I also do not raise the bottom! ;)

Richman
07-25-2003, 11:03 PM
Peter,

Exactly where are the tanks leaking? That may give a clue as to the problem.
You say that the thickness is the same as a normal 55. I have 55's that are made with 3/8 inch glass and others that are made from 1/4 inch glass. 3/8 inch would be ok for an 80 gallon if constructed properly, but 1/4 would be really pushing the limit. It would allow the glass to flex too much and tend to tear out the silicone seal. I have built tanks by placing the sides directly on the bottom. I think the key to making it work is to allow a larger silicone space between the glass. Never let the glass come in full contact. I have allowed as much as 1/8 inch between glass to allow for flexation and expansion. It made a strong bond. The pressure of glass on glass is typically what causes the tank to break under pressure.

If the glass bottom is in full contact with the surface below it, you must really make sure that everything is perfectly level and you have a styrofoam insulator underneath to absorb any imperfections. That type of construction is very unforgiving of any imperfections in the stand surface.

Smokey
08-13-2003, 04:17 AM
Smart move Peter.

It does take more time and energy to take a tank apart/clean it/ reassemble it - hopefully not breaking a sheet of the glass.

Than it does take to go out and get a new leak free tank.
I have built numerious tanks -- all sizes, all thickness [1" thick].

As for your used leakes; hmmm how does $10.00 Canadian - delievered !!! sound ?

come on now , buddy . I did give you your little paradise !!!

Smokey

Smokey
08-21-2003, 04:12 AM
Glad to hear. Now, you can afford the plane ticket. lol.

Hmmm , how about a discus rasing sheep hearding bagabond.

Take care
Smokey

Smokey
08-22-2003, 12:54 AM
I can understand Pete. My first wife did not want to sail the oceans. lol.

Tell you what - tell her it is your gift to her, for all the devotion she has given you. A sleepy little getaway in the quite back country.

Smokey