PDA

View Full Version : Hang on external filters

spawn
07-24-2003, 09:19 PM
Hi Just wondering how with a hang on filter e.g aqua Clear. How you would have any type of hood or covering over the tank?

FishGuru
07-24-2003, 09:23 PM
Hi, I have a h.o.t. magnum 250, all-glass makes glass hoods with a plastic strip in the back where you can cut out a slot for the filter to fit in. They are conveinent and help to hold the the heat in and cut down on evaporation.

Carol_Roberts
07-24-2003, 09:24 PM
Hi Spawn, welcome to Simplydiscus :wave:

Most tank tops and hoods have a special plastic cut-out area just for hang on the back filters, heater cords, airlines, etc.

spawn
07-27-2003, 05:43 PM
Thanks, the idea of a plastic covering is a great idea. My tanks have a glass covering and are difficult to cut sections from.

I had not thought about plastic or Perspex.

At the moment I run external canister filters, with pre filters attached. But still trying to work which (Ext Canisters/ Ext Hang ons) are best for my discus.

My discus are in 29 Gallon bare breeding tanks. Also containing foam air driven filters.

Any advice for the betterment of the fish would be appreciated.

Carol_Roberts
07-27-2003, 05:56 PM
My preference is Aqua Clear type filters and air driven sponge filters for breeding and fry tanks. I use only air driven sponges filters when fry are less than 3 weeks old.