PDA

View Full Version : Spinous Dorsal Fin: Problem?

Anna Piranha
07-29-2003, 01:12 PM
I have a couple of 12 – 14 month Blue Diamonds. They are about 5 or 6 inches. Recently their spinous dorsal fins have begun to show some separation. I have a Pigeon Blood in a different tank who show a lot of separation in these fins. Is this the sign of a problem or is it normal for this to happen? I don’t particularly like how it looks, so is there anyway to prevent or repair it?

Jeffery_Doty
07-31-2003, 08:39 AM
Hello,

Are you speaking of the first few rays of the dorsal fin? Or further back on the dorsal? Are you able to get a picture of it, that would help. From your description, it does not sound unusual.

Jeff
Oregon

Anna Piranha
07-31-2003, 10:46 AM
Hi Jeffrey,
Thanks for responding. I mean the first few rays of the dorsal fin. I don't have a digital camera, so I can't post a picture right away. I will look through some of the photos on this forum and see if there is one I can refer to.

- Anna

Anna Piranha
07-31-2003, 11:06 AM
Aha! Here's an example of what I'm talking about. The fish in this picture seems very very healthy to me, but he's got the fin thing going on.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=11;action=display;threadid=11545

Anna 8)

Jeffery_Doty
07-31-2003, 01:39 PM
Hello,

That is quite normal for discus, especially wild discus. I actually like the look of the first few dorsal rays to be separated and distinct! Looks good in my eyes.

Jeff
Oregon

Anna Piranha
07-31-2003, 05:00 PM
Thanks Jeff! I will stop worrying then.