PDA

View Full Version : Juveniles vs. Adults.

SimmonM
08-05-2003, 07:07 PM
Hey everyone ...

I'm curious as to what everyone's thoughts are on which age group of fish are easier to take care of - juveniles or adults?

Let's say I see some juveniles for sale and some adults for sale (and money not being an issue) both groups are specimens that really catch your eye which would be the easier to take care of?

I ask because with one spare 55 tank in my home I'm sort of leaning more towards adults than growing out some younger fish.

Thoughts?

Simmon
Simmon_Mohan@yahoo.com

Carol_Roberts
08-05-2003, 07:57 PM
If you are leaning towards adults, then buy adults. You can already see the size, shape and color - no guessing.

If they have not been raised together you may have BIG fights. Especially if they start to pair off. . . .

SimmonM
08-05-2003, 08:04 PM
If they have not been raised together you may have BIG fights. Especially if they start to pair off. . . .

As always thank you Carol.

Big fights meaning what? As they pair off do they become territorial? Would it not be a good idea to have 4 or 5 adults in a 55?

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Simmon
Simmon_Mohan@yahoo.com

Carol_Roberts
08-05-2003, 08:12 PM
I've had two females that nearly killed each other. And I've had established adults nearly kill new discus added to the tank. Best to add all to a new tank at the same time and then watch carefully. . . sometimes they get along just fine, but I keep a divider handy

Luca
08-06-2003, 10:21 PM
what do you use as a dividing device Carol? We have a limited range here, in fact it's just one product, do you use class or plastic? these are a plastic style divider with holes in it but don't fit many sizes of tanks.

Carol_Roberts
08-06-2003, 11:03 PM
I use the store bought, flimsy plastic ones. Many on this site buy egg crate plastic grid in the light section of Home Depot type stores. The egg crate is used to cover flourescent light fixtures. You can cut it to size and hold it in place with sponges- sort of a sponge gasket where the sponge is placed between the glass and the edge of the plastic.