PDA

View Full Version : water conditions

Granma Beth
08-06-2003, 02:25 PM
I have a problem with my Ph. It reads 7.2 to 7.5. I have tried to reduce it with Ph decreaser but no luck. My 30 gallon aquarium had goldfish until 3 weeks ago, of which I took them to my home tank. I want to put Discus in this tank but I have read it is very important to get the water correct before doing so. All other tests seems to be in line according to what I have research. Maybe my water is abit on the harder side, but I have read this is ok too since I am not in it for the breeding. I have made water changes also. No decrease in Ph. Should I give up and go back to goldfish?

brewmaster15
08-06-2003, 02:51 PM
Beth,
If you are not in this for breeding.. Your water is fine for keeping discus in. The only thing I would do is use a storage container for your water, age it overnight, with heat and aeration and then measure your pH.

The important thing is to use water that is the same temp and pH for your water changes. Discus get used to a wide range of water pH's... but hate fluctuations in their water parameters. In that sense you are better off than someone with softwater, as your pH will not drift much.

hth,
al

Granma Beth
08-06-2003, 02:57 PM
Does this mean that each time I do a water change, it would be best to age it over night? I have read it is best to do many water change....even daily. I am only wanting 2 or 3 Discus in my 30 gallon aquarium.

And, what if the Ph still remains 7.2 to 7.5 and the Discus I purchase have been in a lesser Ph water? Would it be best to purchase "all 3" at the same place?

Thank you!

brewmaster15
08-06-2003, 03:07 PM
Beth, The amount of water to change and schedule is a point of contention in the hobby ;D

basically what I would suggest is test your water first.. aged verses straight out of the tap. If theres little difference you are fine. If the difference is great ...you may want to age your water.

If you plan on many little changes and your tap is pH 6.8 where your tank is pH 7.4... a 10 %-15 % water change straight from the tap isn't IME going to stress your fish (provided there is no chlorine/chloramine).... a 75% wc may though. so if you go for no storage and the difference is great...then its better to do smaller wcs more frequent.

Thats just IMO,
hth,
al

Granma Beth
08-06-2003, 03:16 PM
I have checked the Ph before and after tank water changes in comparision to the direct tap water Ph reading. No difference to speak of. I have not checked aged water to tank water Ph reading...this is new to me. I will check tomorrow morning.

Regarding purchase of new Discus, if the come from a Ph reading less than 7.2 to 7.5, what should I do? I have read to the effect: float bag 15 minutes, add 1 cup tank water until bag water has doubled. Is this correct? Are the Discus acclimated to my Ph levels at this point?

brewmaster15
08-06-2003, 03:36 PM
Beth,
you will find that there are a lot of areas of disagreement in the discus Hobby... acclimating fish is one of them. Many use the modified cut and dump method, especially if they have mail ordered the fish. Cut bag, scoop fish out and put in tank. The rationale they often use is the pH differences are not as important as the effect of any ammonia that has built up in the bag. Many use that to their great success.

I acclimate by opening the bag, adding a drop of ammo-lock.. and let the bag come to temp with the tank. Then out comes a cup of bag water(disposed of), and in goes a a cup of tank water. I do this over a 15 min period. I don't bring in massive amounts of fish, so I can afford the time to do this. It works well for me.

Everyone has their own way of doing these things.

hth,
al

Granma Beth
08-06-2003, 03:39 PM
Thank you! You have been a great help. I guess the only thing left to do is "TRY DICUS"! :D

brewmaster15
08-06-2003, 03:53 PM
Great, Glad to help! Now you just need to decide where to get them.. Try to find a breeder near you, and visit them if you can. Heathy stock is the most important start you can make in this hobby!

Good luck!

-al