PDA

View Full Version : One unhappy Discus

Mistakes R Crucial
08-07-2003, 04:14 PM
One of my four 10cm Discus is "not happy Jan". Over the last week he has stopped joining the feeding frenzy and has become very much a loner. He seems healthy enough but Im concerned he won't remain that way if he doesn't start eating more.

I don't have the ideal situation to start with as I inherited other fish with the 6ft tank, a ghost knife and sailfin (both not a problem at this stage) an Elephant nose ( a problem Im getting rid of), a few Tetras, Angels and bottom feeders. Plus the above I have 8 x 5cm Discus who are all doing very well, confident and growing like hell.

The Discus in question cops a bit of agro from one of the Blue Turqs I have (smallest but tops the pecking order) but nothing too serious.

Should I get him out of there or is this something that they snap out of. Problem is the only spare tank I have is a 90 ltr, brand new and I put 4 Black Widows in there to cycle it and they spawned within 48 hours, typical!

Any advice, suggestions would be very much appreciated. :)

April
08-07-2003, 05:13 PM
First off..hi and welcome to simply discus!! :wave:
theres lots of aussies here.as a matter of fact think soon this is gonna be www.simplydiscus.com.au. ::)
theres some posts in discus locator area...an aussie thread where all the aussies visit..and a what country post. have a look. ;D oh and an aussie aussie aussie one post with 79 pages. you will meet all of them if you read for a few hours...
i would really try to have an all discus tank. and leave those other guys on their own somewhere.
you can move sponges around from the established tank to the next tank and filter to get it going.
in the meantime.id try to get another small hospital tank and put the one whos been having agro..and turn the heat up..and try and find some metrodonidazole to treat him with. i believe you need to get it from the vet. therse lots of aussies and some in your area who may have some.or tell you where to get it in your area.
use 400 or 5oo ml per 10 gallons a day. doing 50 percent wc daily and readding again the next day. keep going until hes eating well.
have you seen white poo? is he eating at all? maybe segregate him and add high heat . about 90 and see if you can get him eating without the meds first.

Mistakes R Crucial
08-07-2003, 05:29 PM
Thanks for that April. The Tetra wrigglers might have to go :) No I haven't seen any white poo. He told me he's still regular, stiff and brown.

Im after a 4x2x2 with a couple of breeding tanks above it. They come up for sale quite often over here and just waiting to see the next one as they are about 4 times the cost new.

I'll go take a look at the Aussie section, might find someone local. Thanks again for the advice.

April
08-07-2003, 05:36 PM
theres saints who is in marachydome...or however you spell that..and theres Yippy in surfers paradise.
and theres lots of brisbanites.but read away.

Mistakes R Crucial
08-07-2003, 06:33 PM
Maroochydore, Sunshine Coast. That's the next suburb to me. I'll have to chatch up with him and introduce myself. I'm sure he'd bhe able to teach me a thing or two.

Mistakes R Crucial
08-07-2003, 11:45 PM
Hey April,

This "so called" sick fish has had me in stiches of laughter this morning. I might add he's full of s**t!! He's fine, just wanted to get the hell out of that "community" tank I think.

It's the first time any of my fish have been in a bare tank and its the first time I've ever seen a Discus swim horizontally and at the same time twist his head around so he could see himself in the mirror on the bottom of the tank. Probably doesnt sound as funny, you had to see it, cracked me up big time! ;D

Thanks again for the advice.
NB

yippy
08-08-2003, 12:37 AM
Hi there :guitarist: :wave: nice to see yet another aussie. i live down the gold coast, i was just up your way last weekend visiting my cousins. theyre all Ironman and ironwomen, members of kawana surf club. one of thems just had a baby so i was up there for the christening. they live at buddina. you may even know them. next time im up ill look you up!!
Kerry 8)

April
08-08-2003, 02:41 AM
glad to hear hes fine. they will grow far better in a bare bottom tank. perhaps theyd all like to be in there? or are they?

Mistakes R Crucial
08-08-2003, 01:47 PM
Nope, only him, its only a 90ltr tank. I have to wait til I get my 120 g which will be shortly I hope. Don't quite know how I'm going to smuggle it past "er indoors" but i'll think of something! ;)

yippy
08-08-2003, 05:08 PM
When it comes to fish we can think of all sorts of sneaky little tricks :D
Kerry

Mistakes R Crucial
08-08-2003, 07:27 PM
Yeah Yippy but this woman has ESP when it comes to fish!

The problem is compounded by the fact that June goes something like this. Early June 1 x 50gal tank and complete setup for the son, mid June 6x2x2 complete setup but according to me the filter is crap so a week later 1 x Eheim 2217. Another week later 4 juvenile Discus, 2 weeks later 10 x 6cm Discus and to top it all off, a couldnt resist the pricing on power filter, bits and pieces plus more fish for the sons tank.

By this time I am threatened with death if another courier turns up at our place!

One half dead middle aged male looking for share accommodation, ex fish wife prefered. :fried:

April
08-08-2003, 07:37 PM
Hee Hee...well....i exchanged my hubby for fish. far easier...
theres gotta be a way...
explain..the great thing about these fish.is they keep you home right where the family knows where you are. could be race cars or something...
or...start looking for the barter system. i will trade you tanks and fish .for whatever ...

Mistakes R Crucial
08-09-2003, 12:41 AM
Trading wife for fish ummmmmm! Shes now stood here whilst Im typing so the answer to that is a DEFINITE NO!!! :D