PDA

View Full Version : How does metrodonidazole work on healing fish?

Mykiss
08-08-2003, 09:14 PM
Hi, I have noticed that a lot of people use metrodonidazole to cure a lot of things. Actually, it seems like the main medicine (other than salt) people use do cure most discus sickness is with metrodonidazole. If they are not eating well, hidden in the corner and never wants to eat, dark in color, have early signs of hole in the head, pooping white poop, etc...
So what is metrodonidazole? and how does it work? Anyone? thanks
???

April
08-08-2003, 09:30 PM
first off..hi mykiss and a warm welcome to Simply!!! another canadian. :thumbsup: :wave:
best person to answer this is cary or brew or someone.
but.metro is an antibiotic which works on stomach infections...and flagellates. hole in the head is advanced stages or nutritional deficiency . usually when their in a corner and not eating and white poo..their is a stomach infection or flagellates out of control from being a stressed fish. ok..this is my limited knowledge. and my opinion until someone else helps out and posts.
metro is used on people also.

brewmaster15
08-08-2003, 10:14 PM
April, pretty much summed it up.

Metronidazole is an antibiotic that works on a few strains of bacteria...but more specifically on a parasite called Hexamita. Hexamita lives in the intestines and in bad cases infects other organ like the kidneys. The parasite is called a flagellate because it has flagella...kind of like the arm of a squid. metro is one of the few drugs thatwill work on this parasite.

Metronidazole is used by vets to treat a related protozoan infection in cats and dogs... called giarda. (humans get this as well)

Metronidazole has also saved many humans lives as it is effective at treating some bacterial infections people acquire in abdominal surgeries. Ironically it saved my wifes Life, and my dads :)

hth,
al

Mykiss
08-09-2003, 05:24 AM
Thanks a lot for the info! So, how would you administer metro to the fish? Some people say crush it and sprinkle it into the food (i.e. blood worms) and let it soak in before you feed it. Others say just crush and sprinkle in your tank. What do you guys do? Also, I have noticed that when you mix metro with the food, that the fish seems like they can taste it and will spit it out. How do you get them to start eating then?
Thanks

P.S. I have also got a vial of medicine called PolyGuard freshwater medication (Seachem brand) that my friend have given me and I am not sure what it is good for i.e. what signs would you see to start using this medicine? Any suggestions?

Thanks a bunch! I am just starting to learn how to maintain discus. Any info will help.

April
08-09-2003, 09:32 AM
Hi. the easiest way to use metro...is to find seachem metro. its a powder. if you had to treat one fish...put him in a small quarantine tank. turn up the heat to 90 degrees. and add 400 to 500 ml. of metro to each 10 gallons. the seachem comes with a little measuring spoon. so easy. king ed pets has it. i see your in richmond. im in vancouver.
keep this up with a 50 percent wc daily and readd the fulll dose daily till the fish gets eating well.
if their eating you can use it in food.but usually its the case that the fish is not eating.
seachem also has one called focus which works on stomach infections that can be used with metro and it has a taste enhancer. ive used this with metro once they get eating in their beefheart and had good results.
best to make sure you know what your treating or ask here before you start medicating your fish.
usually daily wc and a bare bottom tank.your fish will stay well.
tell us about the fish you have etc.

brewmaster15
08-09-2003, 02:26 PM
HI,

In addition to Aprils advice... take a look at this thread...

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=10;action=display;threadid=1058

and this one

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=4000
hth,
al