PDA

View Full Version : water flow ?

Desertdrifter
08-12-2003, 09:29 PM
I have built my own wet /drys many times but this is the smallest tank I have put one on .I have 2 190 gallon per hour pumps that pump into a 10 gal. plastic storage container through 3/4" pvc with holes drilled in it for a spray bar over my media then it gravity flows back into my tank with 1" pvc in my tank with holes in it for a diffuser.the tank is a 55gallon .how to I determin good flow rate .I know its too much now .what is too much water movement.I am getting 10 to 12 fish from great lakes the end of the month and would like to get it perfect be for my fish get here. thanks DD

Smokey
08-13-2003, 04:01 AM
Howdy DD;
A 55 gallon tank should have a w/x/c rate of a least 3 times per hour. More is better - If the turbulance is not too great.

What I have done -- similiar type of deliervy system .... the return water - is directed down a 2" pipe, to the bottom of the tank. This seems to cause much less water turb. than just dumping the water onto the top.

The 2 - 190 gph pumps ; try one, for a bit. see if the water is kept clean.

OR - instal a ball valve on the pump to wet/dry; and control the water flow. This is what I have on my quartiene tank. A 400gph sumbmergable. pump / with a ball valve - this controls the water flow.

I close the valve to a minimum flow durning feeding, about 50% regular - most of the time, and wide open durning tank cleaning.

Because the water is entering the tank through a down-tube / the discus are comfortable with it. Sort of like the river flowing by.

JMPE

Smokey
ps - great idea for a overhead filter/sump.

ronrca
08-13-2003, 10:54 AM
Like Smokey mentioned, use a ball valve to control the flow. You can also split the incoming pipes into numerous 'paths' like spray bar and a pipe to the bottom, one in the middle of the tank perhaps. This will reduce the flow rate (reducing turbulance) in any given area and spread it out but yet keep the 'turn over' rate in the tank. ;)

Feeding time I turn off the pump so no food is wasted by flowing out of the tank.

Desertdrifter
08-13-2003, 03:30 PM
SMOKEY and all .my sump is at tank level, that pumps to my wet /dry.my intakes are siphoned into it. are small holes drilled in the intakes ok ? or should I put foam over them, then I could rinse out the foam. I could put filter floss in my sump thats what I do on my other tanks. I may use it for a breeder tank some day.

Smokey
08-17-2003, 05:20 AM
Never choke the intake of a pump ! Always use a valve on the output side of a pump.