PDA

View Full Version : cycle new tank

discusinoz
08-13-2003, 05:38 PM
Hi,

I have just set up some 30 gallon tanks and was wondering what is the quickest way to cycle the tanks. They are running air driven sponge filters. What time frame am I looking at before I can add some discus.

Thanks
Neil.

susankay1
08-13-2003, 06:14 PM
I used a product called BioSpira to cycle my 90 gallon tank and have never had any problem with Ammonia, Nitrites or Nitrates. It is kind of hard to find, you might have to call around, but IMO only, it is worth the effort. My tank was ready for fish in a couple of days.

fcdiscus
08-13-2003, 06:31 PM
I have heard very good things about that stuff also. I have never used it however, and I heard just be a bit wary of nitrites. Frank

ronrca
08-13-2003, 06:36 PM
Other than biospira, using filter media from established filters is the next best thing for quick cycling.

Carol_Roberts
08-13-2003, 07:36 PM
Remember you are cycling the filters. You can stick all the filters in a bucket or a 10 gallon tank.

The quickest way is with media from a cycled tank and ammonia to feed the bacteria for a few weeks. The safest way is a fishless cycle with ammonia, but that takes 4 - 6 weeks.

Luca
08-13-2003, 10:17 PM
bacteria does stick to gravel, ornaments, plants etc though yes? So i'm wondering how long do you have to leave a filter on a tank, smallish size say 3-15 gallons before you can remove it again and let the bacteria IN the tank do all the work?

just an issue of not enough filters for tanks available,
thanks.

Carol_Roberts
08-13-2003, 11:22 PM
Hi Luca:
Did you mean how long will it take to cycle a new filter by running it in an existing cycled tank? If yes, about 2 weeks.

Otherwise I don't understand your question ???

Luca
08-13-2003, 11:31 PM
No, my question is how long does it take of cycling a tank with a filter before you take the filter out "altogether" and let the bacteria on the plants, ornaments, gravel etc do all the work.

I've run 15gallon tanks for years before without a filter.

angel12
08-14-2003, 05:47 AM
if you are talking about running a Tank by having a colony of bacteria on the Substrate and Plants alone then you are treading a very dangerous line my friend .... Whilst it may be possible to runs such a small tank without the need for a Filter I would not recommend it in regards to keeping Discus

The bacteria need a Constant supply of oxygen in order to survive and establish themselves the amount of waste product produced by Discus in the form of Ammonia/poop and food debris is quite high and This needs to be removed from the water column by the bacteria I doubt you will have sufficient numbers of them to be able to Keep your water pristine as is needed by these Fish .....
No doubt others will be able to advise more

P.S I hope I understood your question correclty

ronrca
08-14-2003, 10:02 AM
I would like to also add to with angel12 mentioned!

The propose of a filter is to provide a flow rate. What I mean by that is water basicly is 'forced' thru filter media at a much higher rate than thru the substrate or decor. This allows a much greater 'turn over' rate or water and bacteria contact. By not having a filter in a tank, ammonia/nitrites will not be filtered as quickly as with a filter. Leaving the bacteria in the substrate and decor do all the work is not recommended because of flow rate meaning that it may take a long time for all the water to come in contact with the bacteria. The filter solves that.

Also, bacteria likes to colonize in darker places like inside your filter instead of on decor. You will find that there is a lot more bacteria growth inside your filter than in the substrate and decor. Im not saying that it cant work (it would depend on fish load and if you have live plants)! Its just not recommended.

Another quick point. Most of my tanks are bare bottoms and hardly any decor.

Desertdrifter
08-14-2003, 08:57 PM
hope I am not buting in . I built my wet/drys out of clear material and they are exposed to light(just fish room lights).did i screw up?

Huy Nguyen
08-15-2003, 12:07 AM
Hi Neil
go to www.fritzpet.com They have a product called turbo start. look for it and read about it.
I have never tried it so I don't know how good it is. But it might be what you are looking for.

ronrca
08-15-2003, 05:29 PM
Desertdrifter,
No because all the media is not expose to the light. You may find that most of the bacteria will be more or less near the center of the filter where there is less light. Its not that bacteria will not grow in light but prefer darker places. The determining factor is the intensity of the light that the bacteria is exposed to. Just some thoughts! ;)