PDA

View Full Version : Wilds Basic Questions

angel12
08-14-2003, 08:57 AM
Guys im hooked on these Wilds .. so can you just give me your basic input here

im thinking of BB tank 40-50 Gall filterd by an Air Driven sponge Filter .....

Im going to be using Tap water Ph 7.0 and KH 1 Gh 2 would these perams be Ok

I have read through a few posts and the above would seem to be fine ..

Also are there Certain strains that are more Hardy than others or are they Basicaly the same

Paulio
08-14-2003, 09:54 AM
Welcome to the Wild Side!

Your water is just fine for wilds. Clean and warm are the most important things. Heckels can be more water sensitive in the beginning but that just means you need to take a little time getting them used to it.

Paul

Tad
08-14-2003, 10:14 AM
Paulio,
One of my plans in the next couple of months is to add Heckels to my collection. ::) I have seen way too many beautiful specimens posted on this forum to deny myself any longer LOL...Could you share what parameters you would recommend for the "More sensitive" Heckels.

TIA,
Tad

angel12
08-14-2003, 11:03 AM
yes if You could post some water perams I would appreciate it ... my water being very soft also contains a high level of Phostphate 10ppm has anyone Got similar water to mine - if so has this had any adverse effect on there welbeing....

I have read that whilst these may be more difficult to aclimatise they tend to be more hardy than the commercialy breed strains.. is this correct...

Due to the higher cost I was thinking of addin a couple of adults and then after a couple of months adding 2 more would this be Ok

sorry for asking so many questions but hey these are Beauuuuutifull fish and I dont want to mess this up ....

any input would be appreciated

:)

Paulio
08-14-2003, 11:26 PM
All I can say is what I keep them in. When they are fresh imports I start them at 5.2pH 1kh 1gh. Over a course of two weeks I get them into 6.8pH 2kh 3gh and they have spawned in that water so I assume it makes them happy ;D
I have tried to get them up too 7.5 pH (doesnt seem all that much higher right?) and they show their lack of approval. Eyes darken, over all color fades etc. Typical early warning signs. Bring the pH back down and lower the hardess and the eyes clear and colors return very quickly. I think it may be rapid slime production because that slightly higher alkalinity irritates them. Anyone keeping Heckels at higher pH and/or in harder water? Share your story ;D

hth
Paul

ChloroPhil
08-15-2003, 10:45 PM
How about straight R/O water for wilds? That's pretty much the same consistancy as Rio Negro water....

Jason
08-16-2003, 03:19 AM
My experience is pretty much the same as Pauls,

warm clean water and slowly adjust them to tap-for heckels

I do feel the most important facter besides clean water and good food is cleaning them properly.

Biotipical- its hard to keep fish in some of the natural perameters unless you have big tanks, big water reserves, and big bio filters. use water with ph<5 and <30us and things can go bad really fast! when you throw alot of food in those tanks and don't keep them absolutely spotless.

angel12
08-16-2003, 07:59 AM
Ok Guys you have been realy helpfull so far ... however can you just clear this confusion up for me ....
what ph/conduct/KH/GH are wilds mainly kept in when they come from the Breeder/Main seller..... is this around the 5-6 mark and conduct around the 100ms? also when you get them you obv need to quarantine them what meds or treatment do you use to get rid of any nasites that may be hitching a ride ....

also is it possible to keep Hybrids and Wilds in the same tank ....?

I have a maint Programe that works very well and keeps my Planted tank tip top ... I would just appreciate some feedback in regards to integrating wilds into a set up .... as I mentioned my water is quite soft and I would supsect that once the filter beds in after a few months the PH will drop down anyway to around the 6.5 mark without any help from me

again if anyone could share there thoughts id appreciate it ....

:)

ChloroPhil
08-16-2003, 08:43 AM
Your tank should be just fine for Wilds. I say go for it!

Paulio
08-16-2003, 11:24 AM
How about straight R/O water for wilds? That's pretty much the same consistancy as Rio Negro water....

Phil,

While it may bring on spawning I havent (IME) seen any Discus stay happy very long in straight R/O. At a minimum they need a trace mix added for some mineral content. I have seen them kept very happy in plant tanks that use straight R/O but then they have nutrient in the water from the ferts etc.

Paul

ChloroPhil
08-18-2003, 03:49 PM
What do you think of Kent "Discus Essential"? It's basically a Calcium, Potassium, and Magnesium additive.

The reason I ask about straight R/O is I'm running a tank at the store with R/O and I've got Red Pencilfish spawning in there like wild. Granted, I'm adding traces and other chemicals for the plants, but the hardness stays VERY low and the pH is 5.8 or so.

Paulio
08-18-2003, 04:08 PM
What do you think of Kent "Discus Essential"? It's basically a Calcium, Potassium, and Magnesium additive.

Phil,

I think that Discus essential and the like are just more of what you are already adding with your plant nutrients. It cant hurt to use it and the plants will definately appreciate it the extra nutrients as well. As far as fish are concerned I think they are the best gauge of what is working. If the Pencils are happy with the available nutrients I bet Discus will be too. I cant say I know what elements and what levels they like best. I can only say that I know they dont like mostly stripped water for a long period of time.

Paul

angel12
08-18-2003, 05:22 PM
Cool I use Kent discus essential too and use Ro water with only a few Degrees of GH added in ... If im Right Phill what you propose I will be able to do also ...(if I needed to drop the Ph )

Im going to go with my tap water and see how I get on I could introduce straight Ro with a trace of Discus essential If a drop in ph is needed ...

Blimey didnt think these Wilds were so expensive ....! just been pm Pete Daniels about his curipera and how much they cost :o :olooks like ill have to remortgage my house :o :o :P

;D ;D

petedaniels
08-19-2003, 02:49 AM
Hello
Not all wilds are expensive, prices compare well with tank
bred fish, but if you want top grade fish such as curipera
then you have to pay top money :'(

pete

angel12
08-19-2003, 12:29 PM
I wasnt complaining Pete I fully understand you pay for what you get .. Compared to Pedigree dogs or other animals these are Dirt Cheap pity you dont ship :'(

Augusto
09-18-2003, 04:00 PM
Intersting how many people use 7,0 ph for wilds, they can be keep at this but on the nature they live in acid water, 6,0 to 6,8. I use ph 6,5 - temp 30ºC - dH 0 - 10º

Here in Brazil the most ship discus are the wild ones, one wild adult cost about u$10,00

For non wlids the price up i little, one +- 5cm blue turquoise for exemple costs about u$ 16,00 and one adult can cost up to u$100 !!! :o

Sorry for my bad english! :-X