PDA

View Full Version : impact on ecosystem?

Desertdrifter
08-14-2003, 09:10 PM
I would like to buy wildes some time but my wife is dead against it.The funny thing is I am an avid stealhead and salmon fisherman (hatchery fish only).what kind of impact are we having ? why not buy f1s or thier offspring.how many fish die so one makes it to our tanks.I am not mad or chewing any one out .these are questions that I must answer befor I bought one.

Paulio
08-14-2003, 11:18 PM
It is an issue to consider and this comes from a person in the biz of selling wild fish. Right now there is research into tropical fish as a renewable resource in South America. Wouldnt it be amazing if the exporting of these fish could be comodity enough to prevent the devastaion of the local habitat as well as provide the river people that collect them income enough to stay put?

Paul

ChloroPhil
08-15-2003, 09:03 AM
If you can find out, buy Project Piaba fish in preferrence to any others. That's what Paulio was referring to, I think. :)

As far as buying F1 wilds vs. F0 wilds, if you can find a breeder who does that I'd get the F1 in a heartbeat. When I get the $$$ I'm planning on starting a small basement hatchery to sell F1 fish exclusively.

Best,
Phil

Paulio
08-15-2003, 04:10 PM
Right Phil, thats what I was talking about ;D
I agree, If you can get nice, true F1's do it.

Paul

brewmaster15
08-15-2003, 04:29 PM
I hope to have lots of f1 fry soon. To date I have only been able to breed crosses between wilds and domestics.

desertdrifter... Theres a breeder on these boards that you may want to talk to for F1 wilds.

I have 12 of his F1 wild browns in my tanks.

His name is Jeff Doty.
http://www.southamericancichlids.com/

hth,
al