PDA

View Full Version : power crisis

carman
08-15-2003, 06:41 PM
I hope everything will be ok for people who have no power in the east coast. Especially their discus tanks.

carman

Anna Piranha
08-19-2003, 11:40 AM
Hi Carmen,
That was a nice thought. Thanks. I live sandwiched between Philadelphia and New York. I don't know how we managed to avoid it, but we never lost power. I can tell you, though, I was really worried.

If anyone reads this and suffered through the blackouts, please let us know how you and your Discus faired. Does anyone have any advice regarding power failures? Is there such a thing as small generators? I'm not the Home Depot kind of girl, so please excuse my ignorance about these kinds of matters. It would be helpful to know.

Thanks,
Anna

barron
08-19-2003, 11:50 AM
Hi Anna

The cheapest why to go is a marine battery and a 250 to 400 watt power inverter. Maybe 50.00 - 60.00 for a good batt. and and 40.00 - 60.00 for the power inverter.

I have a 1500 watt inverter about 350.00 - 400.00, I like my lights and t.v. and frig.

I just run air pumps at 5 to 10 watts ea. you can run for a couple of days, without a charge.

Barron :)

Sketchy
08-19-2003, 12:00 PM
...here in southeastern Michigan we were in the dark for a little over 24 hours. No problems because it was summer and the tanks held a steady temperature and I had just done a water change earlier in the morning (the water had time to filter before we crashed). There were no problems and all my fish made it through this just fine. Had it been winter, however......

Anna Piranha
08-19-2003, 12:38 PM
Glad you made it through Sketchy! Yes - thank goodness it wasn't winter!

Barron, thanks for information. Now I won't sound like a complete idiot when I go ask "The Man" at Home Depot ;)

korbi_doc
08-19-2003, 01:01 PM
:bounce2: :bounce2: Anna, call John @ Jehmco & he'll tell u how to set up for this; that's where I got my linear air pump & inverter, then Sears for the deep cycle battery. Used pvc cuz my tanks are all over the house, love the system, gives me peace of mind, lol, Dottie hope this link works!!

http://jehmco.com/PRODUCTS_/HARDWARE_/Central_Air_Pumps/central_air_pumps.html