PDA

View Full Version : Canister Filter Fiasco

Anna Piranha
08-19-2003, 11:34 AM
Filters are my nemesis. If something is going to go wrong during a water change, it’s always the filters. This weekend I took apart the canister filter for my 55 gallon tank. It was pretty filthy as I was negligent in my water changes over the last 2 weeks. Ok, so I get what I deserve. Here’s what I got:

It took me an hour to scrub the gunk from the hoses and the baskets. I decided to leave the whole unassembled works lying in the back yard in the sun. You know, so they could dry out and so all the living bad things would bake to death. (I left the ceramic bio filter media in a warm bath in the house, so the good bacteria wouldn’t die). So a little while later I gather up my filter parts and attempt to re-assemble it. Now basket #1 is supposed to sit about an inch from the bottom of the canister. I pushed and I squeezed and I used a butter knife and a screw driver, I damaged a thumb and a forefinger and still basket #1 would not slide into place. About 45 minutes into this fiasco, it occurred to me that the damn canister had somehow shrunk out there in the yard. Well, if I had been awake during THAT physics lecture, I would have understood the concept of “contraction and expansion.” It took an observant friend to suggest hot water. :idea: I filled the @#$! canister with hot water from the tap and inside of about 3 minutes, basket #1 slipped easily into place.

I am saying all of this to help any newbies avoid the silliness caused by the canister. Today I have bruises on my arms, on my feet (I tried to steady the canister with my feet while using both hands to force the basket – what a picture that was :banghead:), my back has been in spasms for two days since. All told, it took me 2 hours and 45 minutes to clean a 55 gallon tank on Saturday. I lost a good bit of the day and my back is ruined for any other activities in the near future. So BE CAREFUL out there in fish land and take care of yourselves!

korbi_doc
08-19-2003, 01:06 PM
:bounce2: :bounce2: Been there! done that!! Boy, can we think up some pretty dumb maneuvers to get ourselves in a bind!! Understand too well the frustration!! Hahhaha, Everyone does it @ sometime, goes with the territory, I must flood my LR every 5-6 wks, should know better by now, but still make boo-boos, fry heaters you name it it's been done; just read some of the posts!! lol, Dottie :o :o

Carol_Roberts
08-19-2003, 02:10 PM
I hate canister filters :thumbsdown:

barron
08-19-2003, 02:32 PM
Hi

Only want to add, have air in the bath with the media.
And Anna you need some epsom salt.

Barron :)

korbi_doc
08-19-2003, 02:38 PM
:bounce2: :bounce2: Yes Carol, me too!! Try the HOT Magnums, they're not bad at all, in fact pretty easy to clean. I use them to quick clean if necessary & I don't want to set up the Vortex diatom. Keep one on my babies tank all the time, lol, Dottie ;D

Anna Piranha
08-19-2003, 03:19 PM
Hey Barron, how did you know? I was soaking in those salts last night! I have a horse and he needs riding regardless of my aches and pains, so I went from tub to farm and back to tub again.

Another stupid thing I did this weekend:
I use a water pump to move water from a 32 gallon rubbermaid into the tank. Well, I get the bright idea that maybe I could multi-task while the tank is filling :idea: I walk into the laundry room to start scrubbing plants/rocks, etc. and suddenly the pump sounds weird. I go into denial immediately and continue scrubbing for about 2 more minutes. Now it sounds real weird and I abandon the task at hand to run into the tank room. Wahoo - there's about 10 gallons of water being pumped onto the floor. The hose dislodged itself. I am a sucky fish keeper. No more multi-tasking and ya know, the damn plastic plants are on their way out, too!

Quick question:
Does anyone know why when I use an apostrophe in my text, it is converted to keyboard characters on the post? For example, if I write "c-a-n-apostrophe-t," it ends up looking like "can@#%$*t." I don't understand what is happening. It does not happen all the time and it only happens on this board.

Thanks!

korbi_doc
08-19-2003, 03:42 PM
:bounce2: :bounce2: Hey Anna, that's par for the course!! I've learned the hard way not to multitask when I'm siphoning or filling those tanks cuz made so many mistakes, hahahahahaha! The worst was to plug in the heater & little powerhead for the 32g tubs & forgot they were OUTSIDE the tub. Well, the hole in the carpet was tiny when I caught it, but don't dare use the heater again, the rubber end was burned off. Actually, I'm hesitant to leave the room when pumping!!

What kind of horse do you ride?? Do you have a pic? Mine are Arabians, the "crazy arabs" hahahaha, ppl don't have a clue how to deal with smart horses!! Wish I could ride more, I need the exercise for my knees, gets too busy in the hospital. Keep those salts going, good for the soul!! lol, Dottie ;D ;D

Carol_Roberts
08-19-2003, 03:59 PM
The rule at my is house is I only mop the kitchen and bathroom floors when the tanks overflow ;D

richgrenfell
08-19-2003, 04:14 PM
LOL Carol!

my fishroom is carpeted so as an addition to the never ending stream of gadgets, and such, I added a wet dry vac! I hate canisters too. I had a 50 gallon salt tank years ago with a large fluval. Well the outflow hose came loose, and fell out of the tank when I wasn't home one day. Emptied the whole tank out onto the floor! Ever seen what saltwater does to floorboards!!??

Rich

Anna Piranha
08-19-2003, 06:21 PM
Hi Dottie,
I have an Appaloosa. I used to ride Quarter Horses - reiners, pleasure, etc. My App - his name is Rio - has reining training, but he and I have an agreement that we will never do that to him again! I board him at a wonderful facility and I have to say, Discus are turning out to be much more work - if you can imagine it!

Anna :cowboy:

yippy
08-21-2003, 06:33 PM
And I thought i was the only one to literally abuse a filter. Ive got mine under control now, but when i first got it it would take me over an hour of frustration and swearing to get the thing back together. Im getting a new tank in about 10 days so im swpapping a few fish round, think ill use the sponge filters for the discus and my red devil can have their old 50 gallon and the cannister filter - with only one fish in the tank i wont need to clean it as often - hes a very clean fish, hardly any waste with him. Anna, i almost did what you did once, thought a good bit of sun would ok, glad i didnt do it, probly wouldnt have a cannister now, wouldve dumped it i reckon.
Yippy :D
Yippy

outlawpc
08-22-2003, 12:25 AM
Ahhhh. . . the memories this all brings back :)

I have learned:

1. Only do one thing at a time (and no day dreaming)
2. Only buy things I think I can fix
3. The more something costs. . . well you know the rest
4. I know less now than I knew yesterday, or the day before, or when I was a teenager (the time before computers :)