PDA

View Full Version : Some of what I've learned...

jeep
08-21-2003, 10:45 AM
Hi all,

July 30th marked the 1 year anniversary of my discovery of Simply. I've been thinking about all the time I've spent here and what I've learned and I thought I'd jot a few things down...

I've learned :

...this hobby requires more than just a tank and some fish. It requires patience, understanding and dedication, even through the tough times, which are bound to happen to almost everyone at some point in time.

...discus come in more than the old "blue-faced browns".

...I now know what a PB is, as well as a RD, BD, VR, SS, RSS, BSS, BP, RP, BC, RSG, GD, OG, GM, RT, BT, as wells as Ph, Kh, Ms, TDS etc... ;D

...there are a wide variety of illnesses out there that can be avoided simply by understanding the nature of the hobby and the fish.

...treatment for hex is a little more than just dumping a medicine in the tank that says it cures hex.

...hex can be caused by many things, including stress, water conditions, food, shipping, bullying and even the wrong location in the house.

...different internal problems are treated by different meds. Ex: A med for hex may not treat for tapeworm, however a med for tapeworm can also treat for flukes.

...just because your fish get sick does not necessarily mean it's your fault. Many things can factor in such as food, water and the fish itself.

...if someone asks advise for an illness in their tanks, don't give technical advise unless you're positive of the advise you have to offer. The wrong meds can do more harm than good. Always feel free to prescribe salt though ;)

...salt is miracle cure for a lot of ailments.

...this hobby is not cheap, but then again what hobby is? ;)

...most questions can be anwsered immediatly by using the "search" button at the top of the page, BUT there are many experienced people here that are more than willing to lend a helping hand and answer your questions. Take advantage of their generosity!

...there are several people that live near me that have actually heard of discus, including one who has both the honor and inconvenience of being half a world away putting his life on the line for many months now. Many wishes for a safe return, my friend!!! If there's anything you or your family needs while you're away, I hope you know all you need to do is say so!

...there are a lot of people in this hobby that I hope to meet face to face someday. I can almost say for certain that if I'm traveling just about anywhere (even overseas) then there is someone who will offer me a place to stay. The same goes for anyone visiting my area!

...discus can be shipped through the mail ???

...always research who you plan on buying from. There are great people out there selling discus, as well as many who only want the sale. Be picky!!!

...don't expect your discus to look exactly like the one on the web-site.

...there are many diseases that can come with discus; some can be transmitted to people. Again, research your breeder!

...always QT your new arrivals, no matter who they come from!

...don't mess with the water too much. Discus can thrive in most water conditions. The best Ph is a stable Ph. :thumbsup:

...don't let your stupid friends dump their drink in your tank. Discus only drink water! >:(

...breeding discus is totally different than raising discus.

...food and water quality are the most important factors in raising a large and healthy discus. Clean water and a varied diet = happy and healthy fish.

...flukes can be an irritation to adult discus, but are deadly to fry and they exist in almost every discus tank and are virtually impossible to irradicate ;)

...discus are almost a good as puppies when it comes to impressing dates ;D

Oh well. I guess my learning of this hobby is the best way I can say thanks to Simply and it's members, expecially the moderators and owners who make it all happen!

Brian

DarkDiscus
08-21-2003, 02:03 PM
Brian,

Sounds like you've had a busy year!

;)

John

Carol_Roberts
08-21-2003, 02:06 PM
Thanks Jeep :thumbsup:

This is a great article for the beginner section!

Smokey
09-11-2003, 02:17 AM
To every one who has read Jeep's post ; words of wisdom - expierence.

Smokey

Ardan
09-11-2003, 06:34 AM
8)
Nice Job brian! :)

Discus_KC
10-09-2003, 06:07 AM
Brian,

The next year will great as well !!!!!! We have some travelling to do !!!!!! But bring it on !!!!

Jack

ronrca
10-09-2003, 10:06 AM

What are you talking about Brian! If it doesnt look as advertised, then send it back! LOL!

Good job! Some very excellant points!

jeep
10-09-2003, 10:14 AM
Lol... I had forgotten about this. I guess I get a little emotional during birthdays, anniversaries, etc... If I ever get married, watchout ;D

Jeff
10-09-2003, 02:03 PM
Actually that is a good amount to learn in a year. Some never catch on. Good job ;)

CARY_GLdiscus
10-09-2003, 02:21 PM
:thumbsup:

brewmaster15
10-09-2003, 02:38 PM
Brian,
Let me know when you want to be a moderator :) You have all the right tools to do the job.

You have learned alot this year .. I think we all have. :)

take care,
al

Discus_KC
10-10-2003, 09:12 AM
And what a great friend to have in the same city !!!!!!

Jack

April
10-10-2003, 09:41 AM
Great post Brian. and i agree with Brew. you seem to be the perfect little role model simply member!!

jeep
10-10-2003, 09:59 AM
Thanks! :) :)

Pick
10-10-2003, 01:15 PM
Well said Brian. A lot of truth in a little space!

TC

Tad
10-10-2003, 02:43 PM
Excellent Post Jeep :thumbsup:

Regards,
Tad

mikezz
11-07-2003, 01:12 PM
I have been looking at posts for two day's. never new there was so much to learn. I hope im not going to be over my head. I only have 4 Discus to start out with from a LFS
he told me you had to do a lot with them. but he could not tell me a lot about them. I have them in a 55 gal and want to put them in a 95 Gal. From watching the Discus and watching them turn different colors from dark to light thought I was killing them. Found out i was not. Thay are brown but all have a touch of red around the bottom of the fins. I only payed 12.00 each for them now Im not a smart man about Discus but I do feel better on how to care for them.............

Thanks for all you help
MIKE
Its all New to me but looks like fun..

jeep
11-08-2003, 12:14 PM
Hi Mike... Welcome!

There's a world of information here for you to look at...

Good luck!

Brian

Molly525
11-09-2003, 09:24 PM
What discus diseases can people catch? Not Hole In the Head I hope.

angel12
12-07-2003, 11:31 AM
Great Post ! - I think the most important rule is to Keep it simple these fish are a lot tougher then they look dont go looking for problems/treating problems that arent there - the fish will do that for you by the way they act and look ...

and as you have pointed out Stable perameters are the most important along with good food take time to enjoy your pets ! they after all what its all about

Wish id had this post to refer to when I first started out

:)

Scrappi_tt
12-25-2003, 02:33 AM
I've learnt alot about discus in the past but i still need to know alot about the water chemestry... :-[

GulfCoastDiscus
12-25-2003, 05:26 PM
Great post Jeep. What I've learn is that this forum have lots of great people who are willing to give you their support unselfishly. Thank you all

dan

KARINA
02-07-2004, 11:46 AM
wonderful, wonderful!... ;)
listening with ears, nothing is heard,
hearing with eyes, everything is known.

Lauren
03-18-2004, 10:57 PM
lol hole in the head - OUCH

I imagine tapeworms are high up on the list of things that people can catch, along with other parasites.
I know humans can get flukes (I can feel my gills hurting already)in the blood, I dont know if discus can pass them to you.

fish_maniac
07-24-2004, 10:09 AM
Hi Brian,
Thank you for sharing your experience with this execellent post. I copy and paste your post into my personal file so that I can refer to it. It is part of my collection now! Thanks again.

Kam

welshy
08-13-2004, 02:12 PM
hi every1 ive just registered as a member today this is the first topic ive read and ive learnt more in the time its taken to read this article than i would reading through a complete discus book i would say im a begginer with discus although i have 2 breeding pairs which succeeded rearing young but when i took over after 5 weeks old i blew it out of 300 fry10 weeks ago i have 5 left which i dont expect to live to adulthood my goal is to raise some to adulthood and with the forums help maybe i could so i will have a lot of questions for you all

Truelies
10-06-2004, 08:38 AM
Hello everyone,

Jeep, learning a lot in a year time is by itsself an acheviement.

Jeep, you have stated this in your article which
"always QT your new arrivals, no matter who they come from!". My question what is meant by OT?

Keep up the good work

Regards,
Truelies

Carol_Roberts
10-06-2004, 11:53 AM
QT= quarantine.
Keeping new stock in a seperate tank with seperate equipment from your existing tank. WAsh your hands between working on new QT tank and your existing tanks.

psx2doctor
10-19-2004, 03:25 AM
I still need to learn a few of those abbreviations ;D

Truelies
10-19-2004, 06:17 AM
I will very very thankful to the one who will explain to me the meaning of

PB, RD, BD, VR, SS, RSS, BSS, BP, RP, BC, RSG, GD, OG, GM, RT, BT.

Regards,

Truelies

oodi
10-19-2004, 06:39 AM
Hi Truelies,

PB = Pigeon Blood
RD = Red Diamond
BD = Blue Diamond
VR = Violet Reflection
SS = Snakeskin
RSS = Red Snakeskin
BSS = Blue Snakeskin
BP = Blue Panda
RP = Red Panda
RSG = Red Spotted Green
RT = Red Turk
BT = Blue Turk

And the others escape me at this time of the morning. ???

Judi
:)

Carol_Roberts
10-19-2004, 11:18 AM
GD, Gold Diamond
OG, Ocean Green
GM, Gold Melon (?)

pipsxlch
02-17-2005, 05:06 PM
It's a smart man that LEARNS!
I just found this forum today, I'm wanting to get back into discus after taking a hiatus from aquaria for a few years. I kept them and (unplanned) bred them for years, but there's so much to re-learn and new stuff that's come out, as well as what I never learnt the first time.

joeclare
03-08-2005, 03:32 PM
hope you can help but do you know why discus fish shake i am new to this thing

Carol_Roberts
03-08-2005, 05:14 PM
They can shake or shimmy for several reasons. Constipation from overeating, parasites will make them twitchy and of course they shimmy in front of the breeding site.

nightowl1250
03-26-2006, 01:00 PM
Great post....seems like I have lots to learn over the next year. I'm a newbie to discus, read up lots on here and other forums, but my disucs are less than 2 weeks (here) old.

lilim10
08-14-2008, 03:11 PM
QT= quarantine.
Keeping new stock in a seperate tank with seperate equipment from your existing tank. WAsh your hands between working on new QT tank and your existing tanks.

do you need to QT discus if your tank has no discus in it, but it has other fish in it, but not discus?

rogge26
08-14-2008, 03:35 PM
do you need to QT discus if your tank has no discus in it, but it has other fish in it, but not discus?
Yes, you do. The general rule is to quarantine all discus regardless of what other fish are in the tank for a minimum of six weeks.

H82LOS3
08-07-2009, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the advise

discus#1
10-02-2009, 11:20 PM
hey Brian, can i use your books and notes. hope i can learn as much as you, im newbie and reading all threads in this forum. soo much information and i havent even started my 1st tank. looking forward to get going....any and all suggestions appreciated. thanks barney

Jaws
11-13-2010, 01:39 PM
Hi all,

July 30th marked the 1 year anniversary of my discovery of Simply. I've been thinking about all the time I've spent here and what I've learned and I thought I'd jot a few things down...

I've learned :

...this hobby requires more than just a tank and some fish. It requires patience, understanding and dedication, even through the tough times, which are bound to happen to almost everyone at some point in time.

...discus come in more than the old "blue-faced browns".

...I now know what a PB is, as well as a RD, BD, VR, SS, RSS, BSS, BP, RP, BC, RSG, GD, OG, GM, RT, BT, as wells as Ph, Kh, Ms, TDS etc... ;D

...there are a wide variety of illnesses out there that can be avoided simply by understanding the nature of the hobby and the fish.

...treatment for hex is a little more than just dumping a medicine in the tank that says it cures hex.

...hex can be caused by many things, including stress, water conditions, food, shipping, bullying and even the wrong location in the house.

...different internal problems are treated by different meds. Ex: A med for hex may not treat for tapeworm, however a med for tapeworm can also treat for flukes.

...just because your fish get sick does not necessarily mean it's your fault. Many things can factor in such as food, water and the fish itself.

...if someone asks advise for an illness in their tanks, don't give technical advise unless you're positive of the advise you have to offer. The wrong meds can do more harm than good. Always feel free to prescribe salt though ;)

...salt is miracle cure for a lot of ailments.

...this hobby is not cheap, but then again what hobby is? ;)

...most questions can be anwsered immediatly by using the "search" button at the top of the page, BUT there are many experienced people here that are more than willing to lend a helping hand and answer your questions. Take advantage of their generosity!

...there are several people that live near me that have actually heard of discus, including one who has both the honor and inconvenience of being half a world away putting his life on the line for many months now. Many wishes for a safe return, my friend!!! If there's anything you or your family needs while you're away, I hope you know all you need to do is say so!

...there are a lot of people in this hobby that I hope to meet face to face someday. I can almost say for certain that if I'm traveling just about anywhere (even overseas) then there is someone who will offer me a place to stay. The same goes for anyone visiting my area!

...discus can be shipped through the mail ???

...always research who you plan on buying from. There are great people out there selling discus, as well as many who only want the sale. Be picky!!!

...there are many diseases that can come with discus; some can be transmitted to people. Again, research your breeder!

...always QT your new arrivals, no matter who they come from!

...don't mess with the water too much. Discus can thrive in most water conditions. The best Ph is a stable Ph. :thumbsup:

...don't let your stupid friends dump their drink in your tank. Discus only drink water! >:(

...breeding discus is totally different than raising discus.

...food and water quality are the most important factors in raising a large and healthy discus. Clean water and a varied diet = happy and healthy fish.

...flukes can be an irritation to adult discus, but are deadly to fry and they exist in almost every discus tank and are virtually impossible to irradicate ;)

Oh well. I guess my learning of this hobby is the best way I can say thanks to Simply and it's members, expecially the moderators and owners who make it all happen!

Brian
Great post Jeep. I realize now that keeping discus is NOT for me. Geesh, I just wanted some nice fish to look at. It seems like keeping discus is a JOB. You have to be dedicated and spend a lot of time with fish. This sounds too BORING and a waste of time for me. I have too many other things going on in my life than to spend all that time with fish. A dog is a lot less trouble and a LOT MORE FUN!! You can also hug and play with a dog. Fish are really boring and a pain in the butt if you travel a lot like I do. Anyone want to buy a used aquarium and all of the junk that goes with it. Aquariums are for people that don't have a life!!

tbone83
11-21-2010, 06:26 AM
nice one, prevention is better than cure
how bout this one did u know that if u turn off your system longer than half an hour all your good nitrobacteria dies!!
no shiet, they need oxy in the water to live, scary hey

Brevcom
12-07-2010, 05:00 PM
thanks for the good read and thread. I'm new to the Discus world and this will come in handy.

LKSDiscus
12-08-2010, 11:26 PM
Thanks Brian for that great insight of your past year. I too have been doing this for a year as well and have learned a lot too. I just recently started on Simply and feel that I have gained a new friend by getting on with people who understand.

Good luck for the future of your discus
Linda

unijabass
05-06-2011, 01:51 PM
:) I am only in the beginning of whole of that, amazing feeling!

dment
11-06-2011, 09:09 AM
Enjoyed reading this. Thank you.

Discus Addict
01-21-2012, 07:37 PM
I am new to Simply Discus and appreciate all that information in one post :)

BaileyF
01-21-2012, 11:04 PM

Brian

it hasn't helped me.. instead of the crazy cat lady i'm the weird chick with too many fish tanks... (i only have 2)

owlay
02-08-2012, 08:14 AM
Wow Jaws- I love your posting. It's right that this hobby requires more than just a tank and some fish- it's dedication! It's something wonderful if you are really interested in it! I'm also thankful for some advices you've given here. They're much appreciated!
btw I think it's not a good idea to get a discus via mail ;) I would be very skeptical and I refuse to do this in general... *_*

Snow
05-28-2014, 08:02 PM
Thank you for the info & sharing your experiences! Gives "us" new people to the Discus world some food for thought.

brianp69
05-28-2014, 08:08 PM
Excellent points brian. I completely relate and agree with your points...

jeditait
08-15-2014, 11:32 PM
Great post, thank you!!

RuddyP
09-01-2014, 10:15 PM
i love the post thanks for every work i will go back to the hobby i think

duscusnovice
12-08-2014, 09:14 PM
well said

RedDragon111
01-25-2015, 10:30 AM
Hi all! I am new to this forum and brand new to the Discus world! I am enjoying all the great info you guys put out and look forward to my first year of taking care of my new additions. I am certain I will be on here on a regular basis soaking up all the knowledge I can get!

Very Excited!
Brandie

iaoun
02-15-2015, 04:49 AM
hi there

my name is bob , im new here ,,

where can i know what the below stands for

"...I now know what a PB is, as well as a RD, BD, VR, SS, RSS, BSS, BP, RP, BC, RSG, GD, OG, GM, RT, BT, as wells as Ph, Kh, Ms, TDS etc... ;D"

thanks

Bushi
08-15-2016, 06:28 PM
hi there

"...I now know what a PB is, as well as a RD, BD, VR, SS, RSS, BSS, BP, RP, BC, RSG, GD, OG, GM, RT, BT, as wells as Ph, Kh, Ms, TDS etc... ;D"

thanks

Was wondering the same. :) I guess they are all water related. BP: buffered peptone water?

Was quiet amazed by:
-Don't let your friends dump their drink in your tank.
-Some diseases can be transmitted to humans?
-Discuss can be shipped?

Akili
08-15-2016, 06:53 PM
hi there

thanks

Was wondering the same. :) I guess they are all water related. BP: buffered peptone water?

Was quiet amazed by:
-Don't let your friends dump their drink in your tank.
-Some diseases can be transmitted to humans?
-Discuss can be shipped?Hope this helps Discus and Aquarium Abbreviations are list here http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?88079-Discus-and-Aquarium-Abbreviations&highlight=abbreviation

Bushi
08-15-2016, 07:44 PM
Thanks Akili, seems so simple when you see it. As it does with all things, I guess. :)

geo57
02-10-2018, 04:10 PM
What discus diseases can people catch? Not Hole In the Head I hope.

lol

geo57
02-10-2018, 04:45 PM
Great post Jeep. I realize now that keeping discus is NOT for me. Geesh, I just wanted some nice fish to look at. It seems like keeping discus is a JOB. You have to be dedicated and spend a lot of time with fish. This sounds too BORING and a waste of time for me. I have too many other things going on in my life than to spend all that time with fish. A dog is a lot less trouble and a LOT MORE FUN!! You can also hug and play with a dog. Fish are really boring and a pain in the butt if you travel a lot like I do. Anyone want to buy a used aquarium and all of the junk that goes with it. Aquariums are for people that don't have a life!!

I have three dogs, i still love my fishes. Why not both,lol. Seriously, if you don't have the time your right it id NOT for you.

OCC Aquarium
03-08-2018, 12:51 PM
Thank you for the tips!!!