PDA

View Full Version : Tank safe bolts?

AndyL
08-23-2003, 06:11 PM
Hey folks,

I've been looking around for some bolts to affix some driftwood - but I should probably ask what is 'tank safe'

I found some nylon hardware - thats gotta be tank safe... but they're too big for what I want. (Smallest I could find were 1/4" with a 7/16 head - I was hoping for more along the lines of a 10 -24 machine screw)

Would Stainless steel or Brass machine screws cause problems in a tank?

Andy

shorthair
08-23-2003, 07:23 PM
Hey Andy, are you trying to affix two pieces of driftwood together? If yes, I assume it is to stop them from falling away from each other when in the tank.....What about using silicone. It is very strong and should hold them very well!!!! Just a thought.

Devin

korbi_doc
08-23-2003, 09:09 PM
:bounce2: :bounce2: Andy, I used stainless steel screws to afix my driftwood to slate bottoms which is the advice I read here on Simply. Drilling the hole thru the slate with a masonry bit was much easier than I expected & I've had no problems. The screw head should be (think its called)countersunk so the bottom sits level. lol, good luck, Dottie ;D

Paulio
08-25-2003, 09:11 PM
I use nylon caple ties. Drill a pass through hole and feed the tie through the hole. If you are looking to mount to another section of wood be sure to do it in an area not well seen. If you are mounting to slate to hold the wood down you can cut holes in the slate with a masonry bit.

Paul

AndyL
08-25-2003, 09:23 PM
Hey folks, thanks for the replies...

Still undecided on what to use.

I'll be mounting some branchy pieces together at an 'odd' angle, resulting in little surface contact - thus epoxy/silicone wont work. Zip ties wont work, they'll be in full view (Tho I could toss some Java Moss over to hide it somewhat). My plan was to use machine screws since I could cut a 'plug' from a leftover peice to camoflage the holes for the machine screws.

To give an idea of the challenge - I'm recreating an amazonian upper waters. There is lots of driftwood 'hanging' down into the tank. It is basically all in full view. I'm still fighting with issues of some floating, and some sinking - and with the bare bottom, slate is out - tho I may try some acrylic sheets as anchors.

Andy