PDA

View Full Version : Plants For A Discus Tank

Abercrombie6202
08-23-2003, 10:11 PM
Discus require higher temperatures and here i have a list of plants that will be able to stand these temperatures!!

Spatterdock
Java / Lace Ferns
Java moss
Dwarf Lily
Vals
Ruffle Swords
Crypts
Jade Swords
Rangeri Swords
Dwarf & Tall Subulata Sag
Red Melon Swords
Heteranthera
Didiplis Diandra
Hygrophila
Rotala Indica
Anubias
Ruffle Sword
African Bolbitus
Ozelot Sword

Hope this helps when you start your Planted Discus Tank

luke_potts
08-23-2003, 10:57 PM
thanks

this is some useful info

luke

Paulio
08-26-2003, 12:38 PM
This is what I posted in General when this was asked.

Why not just try whatever plants catch your eye? In reality there are few plants that wont do pretty well in a Discus tank. Most plants like slightly harder water (more nutrients ) and a temp of 78-80 but most will adapt to given conditions. I mean plants have been around a LONG LONG time and have gotten pretty good at surviving less that optimum condidtions Aside from that every tank takes on its own character and will grow some plants better than others. Just go for it! Try out what you like and see what grows well for you. This of course is from my own personal experience.
Paul

bubabui
08-27-2003, 09:38 PM
I would agree with you that plants can adapt to different environments, but why go through the exercise? Especially for newcomers to the planted aquarium w/ discus. Plants cost as much as fish. Why waste money on plants that aren't going to thrive in a discus tank? Better off spending money on more discus. ;D ;D ;D

ChloroPhil
08-28-2003, 09:01 AM
Luckily most of the hardy "beginner" plants are also the ones which will do well in a discus aquarium. The above list is great and I would recommend every plant on it. I've got to run to class so I'll have to post others later.

Paulio's also right. Most plants will do ok in the higher temps, with some exceptions, but it's better to get some experience keeping hardy plants before getting into soem of the others.

aix
08-28-2003, 09:56 AM
HI guys!

In my oppinion (which in the end is probably wrong one)it is more depending on conditions than species. Naturally the ones that hate high temperature do not look so good as in normal conditions but if you REALLY LIKE THE PLANT it can be done. Then again I must say that have not tryed every plant (far from it, around 50 sp perhaps) so I may have been lucky to have kept very tolerable plants. But have not met a sword or crypto that can't be kept in high temperature. Sometimes it requires a lot of experimenting with light, CO2 level etc but finally I have always found condition that works. Some swords even like different nutrients than other. Still- would anybody add some gold fish genes to discus (so that looks would stay but colder temp-s would be welcome) 8)

These are just my observations, you guys know better. Which species can't be kept in say 30C? So I could avoid them in the future.

Wahter
09-15-2003, 07:37 PM
I've never been able to keep ludwigia glandulosa/ perennis alive for a long time in any of my discus tanks. Even Kasselmann says this plant doesn't like high temperatures (page 350 of her Aquarium Plants book).

Nice looking plant though:

http://www.tropica.com/productcard_1.asp?id=035A

Abercrombie6202
09-16-2003, 07:13 AM
Yeah, i never have either, i tried it two times, but they just die off, i think it's becasue they nedd A LOT of LIGHT and Cooler temperatures!! But theres other pretty reddish plants, that can survive in discus tanks

aix
09-16-2003, 11:01 AM
Have not had the pleasure to own such plant. But the mark is "difficult". Perhaps not the temperature but something else is causing this problem? Just a thought. Remark "slow growth" gives an idea that low nitrates are probably not the problem. During my hobby I have noticed for example that some plants like longer days some shorter. Some even close up no matter that it is still "noon". Some plants die if the lighting is not extremely strong. Sometimes reddish plants require very strong light in discus tanks rarely seen.

Best regards,
Ailar

A Niner Fan
09-16-2003, 01:52 PM
Is there a plant that a uaru would leave alone?

cd1000
09-16-2003, 05:34 PM
I had Uarus for a long time and they were quite amazing when it came to feeding. I gave them beef heart with spinach and a couple of leaves of fresh lettuce every day (and a bunch more on a varied schedule). I just placed whole leaves of the lettuce in the tank and the Uaru would serve themselves. The Uarus also kept a school of black neon tetras in check by picking off a few of them every once in a while. Even though they got plenty of greens each day, I was still not able to keep any plants at all for an extended period of time. If you try, my advice is that you go for plants with harder leaves. Swordplants and Vallisnerias were very short-lived. Some Anubias plants lived a bit longer, but as soon as a new leaf appeared it was eaten. Even the onion plant, Crinum Thaianum, was eaten after period of time, even though it is said to have a bad taste to it.
So, in short, I have never seen a plant survive a Uaru fish.

aix
09-17-2003, 04:58 AM
There is only one plant that survives in Uaru tank- plastic one. 8)

A Niner Fan
09-17-2003, 12:20 PM
There is only one plant that survives in Uaru tank- plastic one. 8)

LOL! That's what I'm afraid of! Oh well..... :D

Wahter
09-23-2003, 12:42 AM
Ailar, regarding that ludwigia glandulosa/ perennis - I've got enough over my discus tanks to keep rotala macrandra growing (about 3 watts per gallon in some tanks). Lighting is not a problem. ;D

aix
09-24-2003, 07:22 AM
Guess not. Can't explain.

butterflypigeon
10-28-2003, 03:02 PM
Which plants do the best in a tank with no co2 added? What is the safest fertilizer for these plants? ??? :-\

ChloroPhil
10-28-2003, 03:14 PM
If you're not using CO2 I would recommend Anubias and Crypt species. Java Moss doesn't appreciate the warmer temperatures too much.

For a tank like that I would use the fish waste as the main source of N and P. That means doing many fewer water changes though. A 25% once every other week should be alright. In a system like this it's best to suppliment iron, trace elements, and potassium. Occasional small doses of Phosphorus and Nitrate may be required but not very often.

Best,
Phil

butterflypigeon
10-28-2003, 04:59 PM
I am still learning all of this but I am currently doing daily or every other day water changes. I want the fish to be happy(that's why the plants), and healthy(that's why the water changes). I am only using laterite in pots for the plants. I don't have enough plants to skip the water changes. Since I learned about water changes I have had very healthy fish. How many plants should be in a 55 gal. tank for this to work? My plants are living, not thriving and I'm on a very tight budget. Next thing to buy is R.O. cartridges( I am currently buying my water by the gal.), then maybe co2. In the mean time though.....?

ChloroPhil
10-28-2003, 09:58 PM
Ok, I would recommend sticking with Anubias species plants only under those circumstances. They should do well in there. Wait, I spoke too soon. Watersprite (Ceratopteris thallictroides) will be another good one. It's a floater and will soak up a ton of nutrients while giving the fish some nice shade.

MrCBS
11-19-2003, 01:31 AM
The list of plants that can handle high temps is good info. I have Amazon Swords which turn into skeletons after a couple weeks and die. I have tested the water and have very low co2 but I don't know if its temp or the lack of co2

thanks ;)

angel12
12-07-2003, 11:38 AM
Plants need Co2 like we need Oxygen also a good source of light and good mobile trace elements like Fe and other micornutrients if you have these in good supply and not to much then your plants will thrive believe me ...

Growing a fine planted tank is not just a case as many im sure will agree about sticking the plants in and then letting them fight for nutrients you wouldnt do it with your fish so why do it with your plants ....

this is not in anyway meant to be confrontational its just that it takes as much care and attention in growing good quality plants as it does on keeping your fish in tip top shape

these are just my observations and not meant to be a comment on anyone elses method of growing there plants out

ChloroPhil
12-07-2003, 09:37 PM
All plants require sufficient Carbon for photosynthesis. 99.9% of the time they get this from CO2, so I'm willing to bet your swords aren't getting enough "air" for their metabolism. Swords, especially large ones, are pigs, I think you'd be surprised at their nutritive requirements.

mattrox
12-22-2003, 10:39 PM
I got these two plants at the pond section of the local hardware store. They were growing emersed. I have already picked some of the new plants of the flower stalk and planted them in an aquarium.

I am going to keep these outside as pond plants, they seem to be doing so well that way. And use the shoots in aqauria. Eventually when I get my tank set up as a display tank I'll have some plants to go in.

They had some kick-a$$ anubias in pots growing emersed as well. I may need to visit again.

mattrox
12-22-2003, 10:41 PM
Second Plant.

ChloroPhil
12-23-2003, 09:13 AM
That's an awesome, awesome, awesome, sword you've got there! Is it a Red Melon?

If the anubias are anything like that I'd be broke from buying them all! :)

mattrox
12-23-2003, 07:41 PM
Those two plants were $10.59 each. The anubias are the same price. I might go have a look today.

mattrox
12-23-2003, 07:44 PM
Is it a Red Melon?

It was labelled, "Ehinodorus 'Amazon Sword' Rubra". So I think I guess it is an E. osiris...... That would make it a red melon right?

yippy
12-23-2003, 08:56 PM
Hi Mattrox, Have you tried ambulia? It grows like mad in warm water. I have just cut this back and got about 12 good bunches out of it which ive put in my other tanks. It was actually growing out of the hood and had flowers on the end.

Ive posted this over at simplycichlids too - no-one in the states seems to have heard of it. It grows over the surface too and the discus love getting in under there.

Kerry :o

yippy
12-23-2003, 08:58 PM
another one :)

yippy
12-23-2003, 08:59 PM
another ;)

yippy
12-23-2003, 09:00 PM
Growing out of the water - lol

Kerry

yippy
12-23-2003, 09:04 PM
I only have a fine layer of gravel and the plants are just in pots or on driftwood and the ambulia in my other tanks are just weighed down with plant anchors - as theyre bare bottomed. Not in pots or anything.

Good plant I reckon.

Lucky that cyclone didnt hit Mattrox. Was worried about you guys up there -Ari was real worried.

Kerry :)

mattrox
12-23-2003, 10:30 PM
I do have some ambulia. It is going mad in my guppy pot. It looks great in your tank!

I couldn't resist and went back to Bunnings. The didn't have anymore Echinodorus. But they had 2 Anubias. They were labelled Anubias Lanceolata. I got the better looking plant. I'll post a photo.

When I repotted it for the aquarium there was mud (anoxic) under the laterite/sand that it was planted in. Well it is potted more suitably for a fish tank now.

mattrox
12-23-2003, 10:32 PM
Ok so I'll post a second pic.

mattrox
12-23-2003, 10:40 PM
Ive posted this over at simplycichlids too - no-one in the states seems to have heard of it.

I looked it up in "Aquarium Plants: Their identification, cultivation and ecology" Rataj & Horeman 1977. ( A little old but very useful book. I am sure there is a later addition, but this is what I have.) Maybe the reason that they haven't heard of it is because its scientific name is Limnophila heterophylla?

yippy
12-23-2003, 11:11 PM
Hi Mattrox,

This is it - theres 2 different types

Limnophila aquatica (Giant Ambulia)
Limnophila sessiliflora (Ambulia)

Kerry :)

ChloroPhil
12-24-2003, 12:10 PM
Ambulia's a great plant to have in a discus tank, it's a terrific nutrient sponge. I had some take over a third of my 90g in about three weeks one time.

Mattrox, yes, that's an Echinodorus osiris. Thanks, I couldn't remember the specific name earlier.

If anyone's interested in a great plant book, check out Christel Kasselmann's book "Aquarium Plants". It's got just about every plant available in the hobby, plus many which aren't.

Abercrombie6202
01-01-2004, 06:53 PM
if you want a plant to grow like crazy, i have the perfect plant...Wisteria i think it is atleast, Mench gave me some in September when i broguth home my FIRST discus and now it took over the tank and is growing out of the water... matter of fact, i should go cut it becuase not much light is getting trhough to the other plants, oops!

realbetta
01-25-2004, 12:31 AM
Hi all;
Could some one explain what is "watt per gallon" mean, I may understand the distance between the light and the plants but have no idea why gallon have anything to do with intensity.

And what is a good economy light system are there?

Thanks

realbetta
01-25-2004, 12:36 AM
If I have time only for one kind of plant ( the most nutricient consumer) then what plant should I have. I heard good thing about Giant Hydro and Italian Val and others.
But I don'd have time and money to try them all.

Thanks

ChloroPhil
01-25-2004, 05:09 PM
realbetta,

The watts per gallon is a measurement of how many watts of light a tank has relative to the number of gallons.

For example, my 90 gallon tank has two 96watt bulbs lighting it. 192 (96x2) divided by 90 is approxomately equal to 2.0 w/g. Similarly, a 100g tank with 500watts of light over it will have 5.0 w/g.

The watt/gallon rule doesn't deal with light intensity, it's just a rule of thumb for determining a general amount of light for a tank. Most plants do well with at least 2.0w/g. Knowing the approximate amount of light over a tank is helpful for making decisions about which plants to use and also for generalizing the metabolism of the aquarium.

Best,
Phil

Paulio
01-25-2004, 06:53 PM
The "watts per gallon" rule is a basic rule as Phil mentioned. It really starts to fall apart as the gallons go up. There are some excellent articles at www.thekrib.com just search under lighting or watts per gallon.

Paul

3rdworldgod
05-27-2004, 10:26 PM
FYI:

If you are planting a large tank and want cheap plants, try:

www.pets-warehouse.com

They sell a dozen plants for the price of one at a normal LFS.

Basilisk
06-13-2004, 02:42 PM
I have Aponogeton crispus in my planted tank. I kept it normally at 25-26°C, and all plants were fine. But when I raised it to 28°C to see if the plants would resist discus' temperature, surprisingly, it triggered flower blooming. Then I went back to 26°C for three weeks, and when I raised it again to 28°C, the rest of the Aponogenton's bloomed too. The plant is usually rated in books for 23-24°C.

I also keep potted wisteria in a BB tank, it soaks lots of ammonium and nitrates. It doesnt mind even 30°C.

Microsorum ferns (i.e. java and tropica ferns) do very well too in warmer watrer. Being epiphytic, it's a great plant for a BB tank if atacched to a small piece of drift/bogwood. Low light, no extra CO2 needed.

Just my experience.

Serpae
06-22-2004, 06:48 PM
Wisteria is a type of Hygrophila.

I have allso seen Blyxa growing quite nicely in a Discus tank, the plant looking very similar to Vallis.

Not sure wether it grows by stolons or not.

redribbon
07-26-2004, 08:52 PM
Yippy!! look like these plant are in the pots.What did you put in the pot for plant to grown like that ???

zenman
07-27-2004, 11:39 PM
Lilaeopsis Novae & Green Cabomba do very well in Discus tanks. I have many plants at aquabid.com and will give all my friends here at SD.com 10% off if interested? Thanks Dave

Lauren
09-29-2004, 11:48 AM
Im not sure if water sprite is something that can usually withstand these temps? But I do have some broad leaf water sprite that is doing amazing in my discus tank, much better than in all the other tanks its in with cooler temps. Maybe the lighting/nitrates are just right, the philodendron also hanging out of the tank grows like crazy compared to all my others too lol

sn8k
09-30-2004, 04:22 AM
Im not sure if water sprite is something that can usually withstand these temps?
I have some regular narrow leaf water sprite growing in my tank... temp ia 82 degrees F (I'll be keeping adults, so the lower temps are very tollerable for the fish). I'm averaging 4 1/2" growth per week (CO2 injected, substrate heater, and the other usual stuff), so I'd say that water sprite is a good candidate for a discus tank - especially for the first 3 month break in period before the tank settles. I don't know if I'll be taking them out later down the line, but so far - great growth and handles the temp fine.
Mark K... :fish:

shalu
10-05-2004, 04:19 PM
hm.. maybe the topic is better to be "what plants won't do well in a discus tank" so that the exclusion list can be very short after some discussion :-) I have tried maybe 40-50 species, and yet to find one that won't grow in my 82-83F discus tank. L. glandulosa mentioned in earlier posts grew like weeds in my tank. Like Wahter, I like red/orange stem plants. Other stem plants like L. sp 'Cuba", E. stellata, Limnophila aromaticoides also grow very well. I have even finally figured out the elusive(for me ,anyway) Rotala macrandra by adding CaCO3. I almost chalked up my previous R. macrandra failures to high temp in discus tank.

naseriar
05-04-2005, 05:02 PM
hi,where can i find the photograph of these plants?
could you send them for me?
best regards

mehran
08-20-2005, 11:29 AM
Hi
Check this web site. It is interesting to see plants in their natural habitat.
http://www.molluscan.com/macrophytes/
Mehran

apistaeasy
12-15-2005, 04:03 PM
Wouldn't the most obvious plants to use be ones that are found in discus' natural habitat?
echinodorus, Valisneria, cabomba, bacopa, caratophylum, heteranthera...

click this linky:
http://fish.mongabay.com/biotope_amazon_blackwater.htm

Wahter
12-16-2005, 10:25 PM
Wouldn't the most obvious plants to use be ones that are found in discus' natural habitat?

click this linky:

But are those plants truly found in the discus' natural habitat? :D

Alight
12-17-2005, 12:31 PM
Hey Walter, I have been wondering which of the red plants you've found to work the best in a Discus tank. Which are the hardiest, which grow fastest, which do you think are the most beautiful. Which would work in a low tech tank, which in a high tech. Where would you buy red plants?

I just got some Rotala Magenta, and other than the fact that it came almost frozen (the newspaper it was wrapped in was partly frozen) it seems to be doing well. It shed some of the leaves that had been damage in transit, but has grown a bunch of new leaves.

Anyway, hope you'll post the answer to this.

Al Light

apistaeasy
12-18-2005, 08:49 PM
But are those plants truly found in the discus' natural habitat? :D
I have found the information @ mongobay to be pretty convincing as many of the articles and information published have been by people that have actually been to biotopes where discus have been found...

Maybe you should go to SA and confirm...:thumbsup:

Wahter
01-03-2006, 12:56 AM
I have found the information @ mongobay to be pretty convincing as many of the articles and information published have been by people that have actually been to biotopes where discus have been found...

Maybe you should go to SA and confirm...:thumbsup:

I believe it's in one of the older posts where Oliver Lucanus said while he was there, he noticed there weren't that many plants in the discus natural habitat. It's too bad that when simplydiscus went through the upgrade that the search can't access the older posts. David Webber's been there too.

big bob
05-16-2006, 08:45 AM
Hello
All of the bellow do well in my discus tank @ PH 6.5-7, KH4, GH10, NO3 0-15, PO4 <0.001, 80f, CO2 20ppm(comp controlled). With 160w of light(T8)(11 houres).

ELEOCHARIS PARRULUS (DWARF MINI HAIR GRASS)

GLOSSOSTIGMA ELATINOIDES

MARSILEA CRENATA (DWARF 4 LEAF CLOVER)

SAGITTARIA LILEOPTERUS (MICRO/CARPET SAGITTARIA)

BACOPA CAROLINIANA (BRONZE /ROUND BACOPA)

ALTERNATHERA ROSAEFOLIA (PINK STEM)

ECHINODORUS QUADROCOSTATUS (PYGMY CHAIN SWORD)

HEMIGRAPHIS COLORATA (NARROW LEAF FORM)

LUDWIGIA MULLERTII (RED LUDWIGIA)

NYMPHAEA JAPONICUS (TROPICAL LOTUS LILY)

ROTALA MACRANDRA (RED BACOPA)

HYDRILLA VERTICILIATA

ROTALA WALLISSII (RED FEATHER AMBULIA)

MYACCA SELLOWINIANA (PINK MYACCA)

HYGROPHILA DIFFORMIS (WATER WISTERIA)

RICCIA FLUITANS (CRYSTAL WORT CLUMP)

MICRANTHEMUM UMBROSUM

CHRISTMAS MOSS FONTINALIS

HEMIANTHUS CALLITRICHOEDES

DIANDRA (PEPSLIS) GREEN FORM

ROTALA ROUNDIFOLIA / INDICA (PINK LEAF PLANT)

VERSICULARIA FERNEII CHRISTMAS MOSS WEEPING VARIETY

Apistomaster
08-23-2006, 02:39 PM
There is one other plant that wrks well in discus tanks whether aquascaped or bare bottomed. The South American Najas guadelupensis. It grows well rooted in substrate or natant in bare tanks. It is easily harvested and grows well under a variety of lighting and water conditions. It has been an overlooked plant for some time. Just be sure its N.guadelupensis and not a subtropical species. N. guadelupensis will tolerate temperatures of 88degF if need be or down to 70deg.F. It's a decorative "super weed"., and will grow well for just about anyone.

IceDiscus
08-31-2006, 09:32 AM
Discus require higher temperatures and here i have a list of plants that will be able to stand these temperatures!!

Spatterdock
Java / Lace Ferns
Java moss
Dwarf Lily
Vals
Ruffle Swords
Crypts
Jade Swords
Rangeri Swords
Dwarf &amp; Tall Subulata Sag
Red Melon Swords
Heteranthera
Didiplis Diandra
Hygrophila
Rotala Indica
Anubias
Ruffle Sword
African Bolbitus
Ozelot Sword

I am trying my hand at setting up 2 55gallon planted tanks for the first time. are these high tech or low tech plants. if they are a mixture of both?:confused: can some one please separate them for me. Thank you.

naseriar
09-22-2006, 06:21 PM
dear sir
i keeping cryp. in my discus tank.despite using small co2 reactor,mineral & iron fertilizer,i couldn't satisfied with my plants. the leaves are going to be yollowish & growth rate is retarded. should i use denitrators? i ueagrly waiting for your comments.
regards

billyboy
04-28-2009, 12:56 AM
i am thinking to get some Aponogeton Boivinianus for my 150 gallon sand bottom tank. what u guys think about it ? any idea how that would work out?

discusjoe27
04-28-2009, 03:31 AM
what all would I have to buy to keep the "plants" alive in a discus tank?

KDodds
04-28-2009, 07:25 AM
Mine are thriving in a 3" Eco-Complete (Red) base, 2 36" 2 x 39W T5 HO. I "dose" pellet ferts maybe once every two months now, 135g. Nothing else is being doen for the plants except pruning.

billyboy
04-28-2009, 10:11 PM
hi everyone. i have got a question. i dont have much experience so i will go easy with planted tank project. i have 150 gallon discus tank with 2 color max 36 inches 30 watt lights and i am thinking to put Cryptocoryne balansae in to this thank. light will be ok? temreture (84) will be fine for that plant ? if i need more lights is there anyway to add more watt without chenging the hoods or do i have to buy larger hoods to put more lights in it. plz HELPPPP. OHH BY THE WAY no idea about c2o sytem plz dont tell me i have to buy one of those thanks

pcsb23
05-24-2009, 09:09 AM
hi everyone. i have got a question. i dont have much experience so i will go easy with planted tank project. i have 150 gallon discus tank with 2 color max 36 inches 30 watt lights and i am thinking to put Cryptocoryne balansae in to this thank. light will be ok? that is not much light but should be just about ok, crypts work inmost light conditions (growth will be slow is all).

temreture (84) will be fine for that plant ? yep fine.

if i need more lights is there anyway to add more watt without chenging the hoods or do i have to buy larger hoods to put more lights in it. plz HELPPPP.sorry - don't know :o

OHH BY THE WAY no idea about c2o sytem plz dont tell me i have to buy one of those thanksyou don't need CO2.

lemondiscus
08-08-2009, 10:51 PM
Ok... I am an amature when it comes to this but keeping a planted Discus tank for over 2 years I have found this:

My parameters 86-92 degrees
PH 6.2-6.5
KH - < 2
GH - < 10
WPG - 2

I have had success with:
Amazon Sword
Chain Sword
Wendntii
Purple Cabomba (sorry dont know the name)
Stargrass (sorry dont know the name)
Duckweed
Anubias

Did not work:
Micro Sword (definately not enough light)
Green Cabomba (not enough light?)
Anachris (too hot of water)
Java Moss (too hot of water)
Java Fern (too much light @ 2-3 WPG)

Good plants:

babillba
04-07-2010, 03:01 PM
I have had great success with Riccia Fluitans in my tank. It is very adaptable, although is controversial i guess as some like (me) while others hate it.

Wahter
04-11-2010, 11:30 AM

click this linky:

I noticed that site removed their photos of the heavily planted discus tank (at least they are now missing). :)

Here's a video of a real discus natural habitat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnGKaougMz0

Not at all like a heavily planted discus aquarium.

Walter

rocco
11-06-2010, 10:42 PM
I just set up my 150 gallon tank went with the pool filter sand substrate and some big pieces of dark driftwood was thinking of adding plants I guess I will probably hold off at least for a while planning on growing out discus in this tank thanks for the info on the plants once they get big I will attempt some of the listed plants.

aix1
11-07-2010, 02:18 AM
This discussion was actually up in another forum. People also suggested based on videos seen that this is how discus natural habitat looks like. But general conclusion was that since it is only really possible to monitor fish during dry season we have really rarely seen anything else. When water rises and floods all the area then all vegetation that normally is on dry land becomes discus "natural habitat". Correct me if I am wrong. Has anybody visited Amazon during wet season? Since it was claimed that during that period it is very very difficult to catch or monitor the fish. If this is the truth then heavy vegetation is as natural as just pieces of wood... I would be VERY interested about this subject so PLEASE comment.. I have never visited Amazon area in my life so I would appreciate to hear comments from people who have... Not easy to track fish when forest becomes a river....
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x229/Dynastes/Amazon_tulvametsa2.jpg

ericatdallas
01-18-2011, 02:04 PM

Hygrophila

By high temperature, what does it mean? I had some Corybomsa that died quickly at 84-86F.

I spoke with some other people that don't think the hygros are good much past 80-82.

Anyone know if Anubias can hold at those temps?

sfdiscus
03-22-2011, 11:07 AM

Spatterdock
Java / Lace Ferns
Java moss
Dwarf Lily
Vals
Ruffle Swords
Crypts
Jade Swords
Rangeri Swords
Red Melon Swords
Heteranthera
Didiplis Diandra
Hygrophila
Rotala Indica
Anubias
Ruffle Sword
African Bolbitus
Ozelot Sword

Hi - I have been unsuccessful w/ plants.

1) Which of the discus plants require low light? I have a wild tank, so I have to keep lights dim so as not to stress the wilds.
2) I have a low tech tank. I put liquid CO2 supplements. But I don't put trace elements / fertilizers supplements, for fear of raising the TDS of the water. Should I put these supplements - if so, how do I balance against the TDS increase?

Thanks all. I have spent enough $2.99 on plants that just melt ...

mkisielewski
04-13-2011, 03:23 PM
I love anubias because you can attach them right to your driftwood and live plants are a beautiful addition!!

1oscar
09-24-2012, 08:40 PM
plants make the tank look so nice

Cyrus
01-16-2015, 08:27 PM
Hi,

I'm new to discus. Can a dwarf hairgrass survive in 82deg temp?
I've seen some youtube videos w/ the plant and discus in it but I would like to make sure. Thanks! :)

Andy27012
01-16-2015, 10:51 PM
Dwarf sag is a better alternative, will stay short as long as lighting is good.

discuspaul
01-17-2015, 06:38 PM
Hi,

I'm new to discus. Can a dwarf hairgrass survive in 82deg temp?
I've seen some youtube videos w/ the plant and discus in it but I would like to make sure. Thanks! :)

Welcome to the form, Cyrus.
Since you're new to discus, the best advice that can be given to you is to keep things as simple as possible to begin with - one of the ways of doing this, if you're set on starting with a planted tank, is to limit your plantings significantly and give yourself as much free space as possible over the substrate, in order to be able to do the best tank and substrate cleansing job that you can, and on a regular basis, along with frequent, large water changes.

A carpet of dwarf hairgrass will unfortunately not accomplish this. The grass will not likely do well in the higher discus temps, but more importantly, it will make it difficult to do proper substrate vacuuming. In all likelihood it will trap and accumulate fish & food wastes, decomposing plant matter, etc., all of which is highly undesirable in properly maintaining a discus tank and ensuring the health of the fish.

I should add too that it's important to avoid getting young, small discus whose immune systems are not well developed, as they are quite susceptible to a variety of health issues if not kept in pristine water conditions.

Another key to successfully keeping discus is to ensure you obtain them from a well-known, experienced source with a reputation for supplying good quality, healthy discus. Any one of the sponsors here on simply can do that for you.

And finally, I strongly urge you, if you haven't already do so, to read through the Stickies in the Discus Basics for Beginners section.
Best of luck to you.

Cyrus
01-21-2015, 04:58 PM
Thank you sir. I've been reading through this forum for a few weeks now getting to know all the basics and common beginner mistakes. I've been planning of putting them immediately in my planted tank but after reading through all these threads , I guess I have to settle for a bb for now to acclimatize myself for these type of fish..

BobB
01-30-2015, 05:13 PM
Do you use co2.

discuspaul
01-30-2015, 08:39 PM
Do you use co2.

If you do, or plan to - don't - at least for several months until you become familiar with discus traits and behaviors, and get comfortable with your ability to keep them healthy and thriving. This is another item to temporarily avoid as a novice discus-keeper in the interest of keeping things simple, uncomplicated, and riskless.
When you feel you know how to maintain a good tank cleansing routine and keep discus well, then consider using CO2 to help you keep the more difficult plants, if that's what you wish to do.

Spike Cover
12-18-2016, 02:57 AM
Here is some info from Kasselmann... attached.
Spike

Spike Cover
12-18-2016, 02:59 AM
More info from Kasselmann
Spike

OFAH
06-27-2017, 12:30 PM
Hi, just new to the forum, just wondered what plant food you all use to keep the plants healthy?

Also, how is it easy planting plants in sand?

Filip
07-09-2017, 05:50 AM
Hi, just new to the forum, just wondered what plant food you all use to keep the plants healthy?

Also, how is it easy planting plants in sand?

Hi and welcome Chris .

I pot my plants in small pots and put organic soil+sand mix on the first half of the pot and top it with sand .Others just use root tabs under the plants in plain sand.
Usually we try to limit the amount of organics in our tanks to meet the discus requirements of clean water .

For planting I always tie the plant base with a sewing yarn to a pebbel / stone to anchore the plant down , and once anchored down , its pretty easy to plant them in any type of sand or substrate bottom.

Please share some photos of your tank and discus Chris .

koiman61
09-16-2017, 10:06 PM
Hello I want to try putting a couple of anubias in my 75 gal discus can i buy those ones in a plastic tube from Petco or Petsmart, if not where is a good place to get them from?

Thank you
Mark

discus2k
03-03-2018, 06:54 PM
Hello,

Please show me where to buy some Dwarf Lily. Thanks

Discobolus of Myron
08-06-2020, 03:01 PM
Hi and welcome Chris .

I pot my plants in small pots and put organic soil+sand mix on the first half of the pot and top it with sand .Others just use root tabs under the plants in plain sand.
Usually we try to limit the amount of organics in our tanks to meet the discus requirements of clean water .

For planting I always tie the plant base with a sewing yarn to a pebbel / stone to anchore the plant down , and once anchored down , its pretty easy to plant them in any type of sand or substrate bottom.

Please share some photos of your tank and discus Chris .

---------------------------------------------------

Hello, anyone knows which of the plants listed below do NOT need:
- Fertile substrate
- CO2 injection

I know that Anubias and Java moss qualifiy and are easy to take care. Any others?

Spatterdock
Java / Lace Ferns
Java moss
Dwarf Lily
Vals
Ruffle Swords
Crypts
Jade Swords
Rangeri Swords
Red Melon Swords
Heteranthera
Didiplis Diandra
Hygrophila
Rotala Indica
Anubias
Ruffle Sword
African Bolbitus
Ozelot Sword

Iminit
08-11-2020, 07:58 PM
Jade swords, rangeri sword, the sag,heteranthera,didipilis diandra and africanbolbitus I’ve never owned. As for the rest they do not need a special substrate or co2. I grown them in gravel with liquid fert.

JmBrown89
03-24-2021, 10:21 AM
thanks for sharing this. I was just thinking which plant to buy for my aquarium. I'm just starting to do this and everything is interesting to me in this topic.

RickyB
12-20-2021, 06:26 PM
The plants that have worked best for me are Amazon Swords, Java Fern, and Valisneria Spiralis. I don't use co2 or ferts at all. One month with the planted tank and they've done great. Btw, I was inspired to try a planted tank by Tom (Iminit}. Check out his beautiful tanks in another thread. 132331

Iminit
12-20-2021, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the kind words. I’ve had some problems this year with my planted tanks. Had a cross contamination and had to remove plants because of meds. Now growing plants in pots. But I do use ferts. I use root tabs on the Amazon swords and liquid ferts for the rest of the plants. Plants will grow for a few months on stored fert but will need ferts.

RickyB
12-22-2021, 12:10 AM
I'm sorry to read about your cross contamination issue. Yeah, I don't know how long I can go with at least putting root tabs in, but for now, I'm pleased with the growth of the swords. I have a flower stalk about 25 inches that is propagating new swords every 6 inches, so I may cut and plant those in the gravel. Gravel cleaning twice a week, ammonia zero, nitrite zero, nitrates I'd say about 15 before a WC. This is not really a planted tank though, it's a discus plant with some plants. I still want to leave room to gravel clean as best I can. Let's see in a few months how things are progressing.

RickyB
09-28-2022, 12:35 PM
Thought I'd give an update on my planted tank. Given that I keep my temp at 85 degrees, the amazon swords, rotundifolia did not thrive for very long. However, the anubias that I added about 7 months ago are all thriving. Anubias Barteri, Hastafolia, and Lancelota are growing well. Given that I have a deep tank, they love the low-light. My java fern are surviving but not really thriving.

Iminit
09-28-2022, 04:24 PM
Well I’ve moved away from substrate for now.133535133536. But the temp is still 84-85. Found giant hygro does well at this temp.

RickyB
10-28-2022, 06:03 PM
So I'm almost exclusively Anubias (just bought a Barteri Broad Leaf) and added some dither tetras (Cardinal, Black Neon, and Espei Rasbora). Anubias are all doing great as are the discus.