PDA

View Full Version : Preliminaries to Setting Up a Large Tank

outlawpc
08-25-2003, 03:24 PM
1. I had read. . . when setting up a tank (especially a large one), you want to make sure it is level. I have never quite been able to achieve this.

With a new 125 gal tank and stand arriving soon, getting everything level would be nice (so the water in the tank is all nice and straight across, rather than a couple inches lower on one end).

So, exactly what does one do to make this happen?

2. and, also something about putting a layer of foam (not sure what kind) between the tank and the stand, so the tank sits flat on the stand.

The tank is an AGA 125 with an AGA Modern Oak stand.

Carol_Roberts
08-25-2003, 07:33 PM
You just buy pieces of wood shim (wood shingles) to put under the leg(s) of the stand.

I have a sheet of solid foam insulation (used on walls) that I cut and place between tank and stand.

tony1313
08-25-2003, 08:02 PM
A good level also helps(for that size tank 4' or larger). Make sure it is level from end to end and from front to back at both ends. If you have a wood stand you'll want to shim it at 4 corners and in the middle(front and back) 6 places total -1 corner.

hth
Tony

Tkuemmet
08-26-2003, 12:44 AM
also use a hardwood shim for big tanks, like oak, not itty bitty soft pine or other fluffy woods.

outlawpc
08-26-2003, 05:51 PM
Carol. . . is that the pink insulation? About how thick was it?
What did you cut it with?

Tony. . . will use a level for sure!

Travis & Carol. . . I understand hardwood shims, but on a rectangular stand (all four edges on the bottom sit on the floor. . . concrete), do you just shove them under???

Carol_Roberts
08-26-2003, 06:00 PM
Carol. . . is that the pink insulation? About how thick was it?
What did you cut it with?

Tony. . . will use a level for sure!

Travis & Carol. . . I understand hardwood shims, but on a rectangular stand (all four edges on the bottom sit on the floor. . . concrete), do you just shove them under???

The solid foam insulation is 1/2 inch thick (as I recall) and comes in 4 foot x 8 ft. (or longer) panels. It is easy to cut with a serrated knife.

To place the shims, you put the skinny end under the corner of the stand and tap it in with a hammer until you reach the correct height. It will take several tries using a 3 ft or 6 ft level to get all directions. Be sure to measure left to right, front to back and kitty corner.

outlawpc
08-26-2003, 06:42 PM
Carol:

Once you have shimmed, leveled, and place the foam between the stand and tank. . . did everything remain level after water was added.

Did the foam compress evenly?

Carol_Roberts
08-26-2003, 06:59 PM
The upper rim of the tank and wter line remained fairly level. The foam may compress a bit more on one end or the other if stand is out of level