PDA

View Full Version : How to quarantine Wild discus

trucdan
09-02-2003, 03:20 AM
Wild season is comming and I am planning to get some wilds this time. Please share with me the procedure, tank set up parameters and medication you would use to quarantine the Wild discus. I just like to do my homework before going out asking for some beautiful wilds. Please help.

Thanks a million.

TD

limige
09-02-2003, 04:01 AM
first i would contact who you plan on buying from. ask them what parameters they keep the water at. work from that for water parameters. try low temps at first but raise it if they don't begin to eat. find out if the person you are buying from treats them for worms ect. if they don't then you will want to buy some prazi and something for flukes like fluebenzonal. if your experienced with treatments you may want to consider a pp dip for them after they are settled in a bit.

ideally you want to qt them in a different room from you other tanks. make sure to qt them for 6-8 weeks. and try one of your least favorites with them just before you put them in your community tank.

ok guys, did i forget anything?

oh and of course, every ones qt precedures tend to be different decide what your comfortable with.

mike

wildthing
09-02-2003, 09:21 AM
what you will need to so really depends on where your fish come from, but generaly the most important part is a heavy salt treatment....I use 1 pound per 75 gallons ( about 5 tablespoons per 10 ) & keep this conc for at ;east a week.
After that treatment is by need, but a de-parasitic can be useful...prazi is good for flukes flubendazole iss good also but takes a lot longer. A dceent Q period with prophylactic treatments will take about 1 month & most importers don;t do it so you will probably need to yourself.
In this time they should get back to 100% good condtion, fatten up & all frayed fins & fungus should have healed.
Antibiotics are usually not necessary when dealing with wilds, their problems tend to be 'classic' & simple to treat.

hth

David

Jason
09-02-2003, 02:05 PM
initially I use high dose salt/formalin batchs maybe fluke-tabs if I see them scratching.

few feedings of panacur, then flubendazole for three weeks, process ussually takes over 6 weeks, but they always fatten up and stay in good health for years.

trucdan
09-02-2003, 02:55 PM
Thanks for your replying.
Jason, what is the dose used for salt/formalin? How many treatments and for how long? I like using Formalin.

About the Prazi, should I use the powder prazi mixed in water or should I mix it with food?

Generally speaking, how long does it take for a wild to start eating?

Last thing: what is the most difficult task you have found in keeping Wild?

Thank you all for your wonderful tips.

TrucDan

Jason
09-02-2003, 04:15 PM
Hi Truc,

if they are in somewhat good shape I'll do 1tblsp salt and 4 drops formalin per gallon for an 8 hour bath every other day @92f with lots of air. 1 week normaly

if they are a little slimy I may do a few days of furan before that.

at the high heat they should be eating in a day or 2, use live to entice them.

no experience with prazi on wilds, I've never seen a wild pass a tape worm, only little worms.

trucdan
09-03-2003, 02:58 AM
Thanks every one for the info. Now I just go ahead and build another tank and wait for December comming. Hope I will get some nice wild this year :D.

TD

Paulio
09-03-2003, 09:48 AM
I do 8 weeks QT on all new wilds.
P/P dip straight out of the box and into a clean tank with 1tbsp salt to 10 gallons for for a week. I worm with Prazi and Fenbendazole. Durring the initial 10 days I look for any externals and treat accordingly.
As David Weber said what you will need to do depends greatly on where the fish came from and what the source does as prophylaxis.

Paul

keith_cny
09-03-2003, 09:38 PM
David,
Are you planning on getting any new wilds this fall with the move coping up and all? Also, do you still have the pics posted somewhere here of your fishroom? I thought that you posted them here once. I could be wrong.

Thanks,

Keith