PDA

View Full Version : How Many small discus for a 75 gallon??

CanadianGuy
09-02-2003, 12:28 PM
Hi, I'm knew to the discus hobby and would REALLY appreciate any help you guys can give me!!

I have two 35 gallon tanks with 8 discus in each....they range in size from 2.5" - 4".....I was wondering if it would be alright to move them into two 75 gallon tanks (8 in each).....

Are the 75's too big for such small fish??

I'm also looking for some bigger discus that will pair off sooner.....if you are in the Windsor, On/Detroit, Mi area and have some fish you want to get rid of, or know anyone that might....let me know!!

Thanks in advance!!

James

Larry Grenier
09-02-2003, 02:03 PM
Well James, it sounds like you'll be having fish reach maturity soon anyway so buying more for breeding may be hasty. I think that 8 fish would be fine in a 75 with good maintenance practices. They'll find each other for security and they'll be adult size before you know it.

Just my $.02

lkleung007
09-02-2003, 03:16 PM
Hi James,

I agree with Larry, 8 in a 75 gallon tank is fine. Keep up the water changes with good food and they should reach adult size soon. The 35 gallon tanks are good for breeding but when a successful spawn comes then you will need more tanks!!! I guess you can see the pattern...more tanks!!!

HTH, Lester

CanadianGuy
09-02-2003, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the prompt response, Larry and Lester!!

I know all about the "must have more tanks syndrome" I already have over 20 tanks....most of which were/are dedicated to breeding cichlids...I have several 10's, 20's, and a 120 that I can use exclusively for the discus spawn.

I was also wondering about all the R/O and water storage/drip systems that I have seen on here. How do these systems work, are they neccesary and if so how do I go about setting them up?

Thanks!
James