PDA

View Full Version : green clumping algae on my Swords

bubabui
09-02-2003, 01:40 PM
Hi,

I have a month old tank with various types of swords in it w/ my discus. The Ottos are keeping tihe brown algae well under control. I do have a rather nice green clumping algae that is growing on the larger sword leaves that the Ottos aren't touching. What sort of algae is this? And what should I use to control it? It is not growing out of control, but I don't want it to affect the photosythesis process of the swords.

Here is a pic of the tank:

Thanks in Advance.

Joe

bubabui
09-02-2003, 01:43 PM
Here is a pic of the algae up close:

ChloroPhil
09-02-2003, 03:11 PM
That looks like either:

1. Green Spot

or

2. Green Brush Algae/Cladophora

To treat both, increase your CO2, NO3, and K levels.

With all those swords and root feeders in there don't be shy about adding fertilizer tabs (including Calcium supplimentation) to the substrate. A nice rich substrate and good amounts of CO2 and K in the water column will get those guys growing really well.

Feeding mostly live/frozen food should be enough to keep your NO3 and PO4 levels sufficient in the water column provided you don't have a great deal of light.

That looks like it's going to be a very nice aquarium when it grows in. Would you please give us your tank's water and nutrient parameters?

Best,
Phil

<edit>Are those big swords Echinodorus parviflorus? How big/small is that aquarium? It doesn't look to be more than 50-60g from the picture. Those big swords just might take over the whole thing given time to grow out....</edit>

bubabui
09-02-2003, 05:02 PM
Thanks Phil,

It's a 54 gal. bowed corner tank.

Tank Parameters:

temp: 84 degrees
lights: 2.0 wpg cf 2x55 watts @ 6500K
CO2: Electronic C02 generator @ low settings
substrate: Red Sea Florabase

Water Parameters:

Have not tested water yet, but running tap water through peat moss and using Beckett chlorine & chloramine remover from home depot.

Fish:

7 x various juvenile discus (will thin out as they grow up)
5 x Ottos

Plants:

2 x micro sword bunches in foreground (thinned out & placed a few inches apart)

2 x Echinodorus parviflorus

1 x Echinodorus compacta

soon, 20 Echinodorus tennellus

ChloroPhil
09-02-2003, 09:42 PM
Bubuabi,

I'd skip the E. tenellus. Your microsword is going to overgrow the whole foreground and will get into a huge tangled mess with the E. tenellus. I'm having a similar problem right now with Glossostigma and E. tenellus in my tank.

bubabui
09-03-2003, 01:19 AM
I was going to use the tennellus as the midground plants. The textures were similar, yet different. What would you recommend? I am trying to stay true with an Amazon Biotope.

Joe

ChloroPhil
09-03-2003, 08:38 AM
I'd just let the Lillaeposis grow in if it were my tank.

If you're looking for a plant with a different texture you might try Heteranthera zoesterfolia, Stargrass, for your midground. It needs good nutrition (ie NO3 and PO4) and is an excellent indicator of insufficient levels. Being a stemplant it's perfect for a midground as you can trim it to whatever height you need and given sufficient nutrients it will grow quickly so you're not stuck with it the way it is for a long time.

Hope this helps,
Phil