PDA

View Full Version : Trouble in Paradise...I need some help

BlueDolphin055
09-03-2003, 08:15 PM
I have a 29 gallon planted discus tank. It is a little less than 65% with plants. It houses 3 Blue Dimonds, some Simease Algae Eaters, 3 Albino Kribs, and one really cool Pleco that I bought at ACA. Everything was doing good when I first introduced my Pleco to this tank, but about a month later, I noticed that my plants are full of holes. The thing that is wierd is that I never see him eating the plants...but, I always see the algae eaters taking little nibbles here and there. Now, I know that the obvious here is take the pleco out. But, he really likes it in this tank and he is doing extreamly well. I was wondering if I have any other options besides that. Please give me some advice soon :)

BlueDolphin055
09-03-2003, 08:17 PM
One more thing, the algae eaters never "nibbled" at the plants until the Pleco was introduced.

Debbie
09-03-2003, 11:55 PM
I would take the pleco out (as a matter of fact I did take my pleco out for the same reason). However since you want to try to keep it in the tank you can try keeping it well fed on blanched zuccini and romaine lettuce, also sushi nori. It's probably not the SAEs making the holes, its the pleco.

Wahter
09-15-2003, 07:56 PM
I'd agree - it sounds like the pl*co - I have a couple of queen arabesques that rasp off the surfaces of some of the sword plant leaves which results in some holes. I try to feed them some hikari bottom feeder wafers to appease their hunger and it seems to help a bit.

Jeffery_Doty
09-15-2003, 11:23 PM
Hello,

Other than feeding your pleco lots of algea waffers, you need to take him out. Or, learn to accept the fact that some of your plants will get chewed on. You could also get some anubias, java fern, or other tough plants, that might discourage him.

Good luck!

Jeff
Oregon