PDA

View Full Version : Algae problem gone .

troy
09-08-2003, 09:46 AM
I have never had much success growing nice algae free plants, once a week i have to wipe the algae off the glass and plants so i could see properly. I just recently did some experiments with a small 20L tank. First i tried more light, but the algae only got worse, then plant foods still no success, my plants are now webbed in algae and cannot see the plants any more . I was about to give up when i decided to try co2, made it myself with a coke bottle. One week later all the algae was completely gone and my half dead plants starting to take off. :) :)
Now i only have to apply this to my 350L tank with Discus but i am a bit worried about the Decrease in Ph co2 has cause my small tank. I think i will keep experimenting and monitor the small tank for a while first .
Would it be the Ph decease or the Co2 that caused the algae to disappear?

ChloroPhil
09-08-2003, 02:51 PM
By adding CO2 (with nutrients) you created an environment which was beneficial to your higher plants and they made it really hard on the algae. For some reason, and there are many ideas about how it's done, healthy higher plants inhibit algal growth in an aquarium.

ronrca
09-08-2003, 03:31 PM
As Phil said! Plants 'use up' nutrients not allowing algae to thrive on them.

tarzan
09-09-2003, 03:14 PM
Would Co2 help in a 300 Litres (90g) aquarium, with 4 plants? (2 swordplants and 2 other small plants)

ChloroPhil
09-10-2003, 08:45 AM
Yes, it would help.