PDA

View Full Version : My Aluminum Rack

MGR
09-09-2003, 12:43 AM
Hi Guys i finally made a rack to have all my tanks in one place .
The materiales i used were:
4 - 20feet 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 and 1/8 thick alumium tubes
3 - 6 footlong x 18" wide metal sheet to give the tanks more support
Only on big problem after it was made it wouldn't fit in my room so i had to cut the 3 floor. The tanks are in and llok great but have another proyect, to weld the 3 floor back to the rack so i can put my breeders on top has planed alittle draw back but some will have it back together
I forgot to give the measurement are 75 1/2" L X 73"H

Mgr

Jeff
09-09-2003, 12:50 AM
Looks great. ;)

Chris.L
09-09-2003, 04:14 AM
Nice work :) I might try get some racks done when I'm on holiday and hopefully convince my parents that we should go further :P

Smokey
09-11-2003, 02:42 PM
howdy Mgr. I am chuckling with you. Been there , done that. !!!

Did you weld with a TIG or wire ??

Lovely looking unit -- guarateened not to rust !!!

A suggestion - place hockey pucks under the legs. You will be glad you did!!

Smokey

MGR
09-11-2003, 08:27 PM
Hi guys thanks for your respones i'll take some pic so you can see the rack , and smokey i put the rubber things you put in the bottom of the tube so it wount hurt the floor lol

Mgr

Smokey
09-12-2003, 01:02 AM
you are just so smart!!!!!!!!!!!!.
Everyone .. learn from this fellow.

Smokey

MGR
09-12-2003, 01:11 AM
LOL Smokey you have to know what your doing and what are your options lol ;D

Mgr

Smokey
09-12-2003, 01:31 AM
MGR - you sound pretty smart .. for not being a CANADIAN.

after all we invented hockey pucks; sorry - actually they orginally were poorly cooked flatjacks. lol...

BTW- HOW IS YOUR WEATHER !!! we are pulLing the long-johns out'a the closet; / . up this way.

Smokey

MGR
09-12-2003, 08:42 PM
LOL Smokey the weather this week has been in the 89-93 degrees ;D

Mgr

April
09-13-2003, 12:30 AM
k...shouldt it have diagonal cross bars on the back?
it would make it stronger......
looks good...i want pics with the tanks on it mgr with water and fishies in it. : )

Smokey
09-15-2003, 10:47 PM
Discount what "pril has to say.. she has a habbit of boiling here fish; Intellegectiaul challeged, not all all . She is just a women.... hahahhahaha lol .. nad lmao.. all in good humor 'PRIL...

MGR -- cut the bull session -- 89'F. september 12 / 2003 ....

Personal weather report form the Rocky Mountains, Alberta, Canada ... Monday Sept. 15 -- expecting heavy snow fall, rain to follow. Temperature to be mild to slightly cool./ 1C. - -5c..

In the last ten days the weather air temperature has been -6C - for twelve hours and +10C for 10 hours. The other 2 hours -- unpredicatable!!!! Heavy MOISTURE IS EXPECTED.. Rain _ SNOW -- FROST IS ASSURED.

Any persons expecting to travel the hiways are advised to carry new snow tires / and or snow chains .. be fully equiped for long stationary waits and be advised to carry a fully charged cell-phone and emergancy supplies.

Road travel is not advised!

This is the reality of mother nature... in the high country.

SORRY - =NO HURRICANES!!!

Smokey

MGR
09-15-2003, 11:04 PM
LOl Smokey the temp today was in the 91 lol and sunny ;D

Mgr

Smokey
09-16-2003, 01:18 AM
Ahhhh - shut -up !!!!
Just went outside - it is pouring rain. First real rain we have had in 16 weeks. ALSO - SNOW on the mountain peaks. yahooo.

Fall has arrived !!!!OH - yeh , I forgot - you only get two seasons. right??

UP here - we get 4 full seasons of weather. SNOW; LOTS OF SNOW, RAIN AND NOT SO MUCH RAIN !!!

Ahhh - only in the high mountains can you come across a wild black bear, who has more interest in your garbage, than I do .

{ mind you -- for a joke] just throw some beefheart into the neighbours yard. lol.....

Who said that?? not me!!!

Smokey

RichieE
09-22-2003, 11:56 AM
MGR how is that rack working out? It does't look sturdy enough to hold water. How many gallons is it holding? I'm not an engineer and tend to over do it when it comes to tank stands. April may have been on to something and was trying to be nice about it. Just wondering. Rich

Smokey
09-22-2003, 03:17 PM
Reguarding the construction of the rack. Eccentually an open ladder design.

A free-standing structure, such as the one pictured, will have some laterial movement.

The length of the open shelf will lead to some deflection movement.

Perhaps a point to consider;

Instal a centre brace; front to back, which supports the horizontal shelf and weight.
Similar to the ends, however, have it support the center of the rack. This support could removable, for transporting, etc.

A little bit of safety margin.

Just some personal thoughts, from personal expierance's.

Smokey

limige
09-22-2003, 03:18 PM
richie, just a thought, fish tanks have their weight going straight down, they don't move around therefor as long as the weight is supported well and its leveled you should be fine, just don't play rock-a-bye-fish-tank. lol

smokey, i'm alittle canadian ignorant, didn't do well in geography, i had other things on my mind ;)
where in relation to the states are you???? are you up near alaska or what?

Smokey
09-22-2003, 04:07 PM
Howdey;
Where am I ; just 30 miles straight north, as the crow flies, of the us boarder. Go to Glacier Natural Park, Montana. then continue straight north.

Right in the Rocky Mountains. Alberta side.

The weather here is getting ready for winter. Fall has arrived!!!!

Last tuesday the snow blizzard hit. we got 4 inches of snow. Brrrr.

Today , after a few heavy rain downpours .. it is all gone , except off the higher mountains.

This is our wet season. lol. From now until next May or June or July....
Smokey

MGR
09-22-2003, 11:04 PM
Hi guys sorry for the late respones first Rich the rack is holding two 55g,20hg and a 10g but in the top part there going to be four 20g for breeding...
And thats Smokey for giving rich some adive on the rack ;)

MGR ;D

RichieE
09-23-2003, 11:58 AM
MGR, Im glad the stand is sufficent. I have a an 11month old who helps me with water changes (climbs on everything) I had to open my mouth since I am very safty contious at this point. Ive heard of kids being crushed because they climbed on a chest of draws that wasn't tethered to the wall. I couldnt imagine what a tank full of water would do. Rich

Smokey
09-24-2003, 10:48 AM
RichieE; EXCELLANT POINT.!!!!

Kids will be kids. and kids like to help dad's.

Yes, I have seen the devisating after effects of racks collapsing ... hundreds of pounds of glass and water and dead fish .... strewn across the floor.

Large 100 gallon+ tanks ... blowup ... glass shards imbedded in the walls.

Nothing more alarming than seeing a baby/young child ... banging on the tank glass with a toy.

Please be aware. And keep your children safe. [even if this means putting a lock on the door, when you are not in the room / not home].

KIDS WILL BE KIDS.

Tanks can be replaced. Children can not.

Smokey

tony1313
09-24-2003, 12:39 PM
Hi MGR,
Very nice work. I would strongly suggest putting in some diagonal supports(X). 200+ gals of misc. tank sizes + water changes + tank cleaning & maintenance could = disaster. It never hurts to build something too rigid but not rigid enough is another story!

JMO
Tony

MGR
09-24-2003, 11:20 PM
Thanksyou guys and thats why i made the rak useing 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 and 1/8 thick tubes and on top of that were the tanks are in the middle it has like a sheet of metel 1/8 thick but any moresuggestions are welcome ;D

Mgr

Smokey
10-15-2003, 02:39 AM
Just wondering; how is the fish rack looking. Is it set and with tanks, yet?/

smokey