PDA

View Full Version : Too much CO2

troy
09-11-2003, 08:50 AM
I have set up co2 through my external filter, i think it builds up and releases it in hundreds of tiny air bubbles through the water. I was just wondering if it is too much all at once for the fish, could this harm them.

Thanks

Troy

Abercrombie6202
09-11-2003, 03:09 PM
How much a second/minute? How big is the tank? How much lighting? I'm guessing it is planted!! Lightly, medium, or heavy planted?

ChloroPhil
09-11-2003, 04:54 PM
You should be fine. Most of the bubbles will be hitting the surface before they can dissolve too much gas into the water.

troy
09-11-2003, 09:33 PM
I have a 330L tank , lightly planted with 2watts per litre of light. Co2 is a 2L bottle with 1 cup of sugar 1L water and 1 teaspoon of yeast. Releases 1 bubble per second approx.

troy
09-12-2003, 05:40 AM
Biotypical

I have a strong water current and the CO2 bubbles travel right around the tank before it dissolves. What do you think.

Thanks

Troy

ChloroPhil
09-12-2003, 08:06 AM
That's a little different. Are the fish dead yet? Are they gasping at the surface in the morning?

If not, you should be fine.

Abercrombie6202
09-12-2003, 04:08 PM
I agree with Bio, Only worry about co2 if your fish are gasping for air at the top or they are dead.

luke_potts
09-14-2003, 07:22 AM
i suppose that is one way of looking at things..............when the fish die, then you have a problem :o :o :o ;D ;D ;D
Here is a link to a site that i found very useful
http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html#2

Cheers
luke

Mordrake
09-14-2003, 10:59 PM
Biotypical

I have a strong water current and the CO2 bubbles travel right around the tank before it dissolves. What do you think.

Thanks

Troy

don't worry about it. DIY CO2 like yours do not produce enough CO2 to cause poisoning in a tank size like yours. In a week or 2, the bps would drop and you would probably be worried about not enough CO2 production.
if you're still worried, put in an airstone to increase the O2.

cheers

troy
09-19-2003, 07:11 AM
Thanks all for the replies.
No fish have died , i do not think there is enough co2 as the algae has got very bad. Not sure if i should increase it.

ChloroPhil
09-20-2003, 09:33 AM
If you've got algae and your nutrients are in order then increase your CO2.

ronrca
09-22-2003, 11:19 AM
If you really want to know your C02 level, measure the kh and ph. Then by using site link below, you can find your C02 level.

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_co2chart.htm

Dissident
10-16-2003, 02:52 AM
First off, your tank is to large to be using a DIY yeast method for co2 injection to make a difference in plant growth. If you want to inject co2 in a 330L (90gal) tank you really need to use pressurisied co2 with a good reactor or a couple difusers (airstones work fin in this case). In my 208L (55gal) 2x2L bottles for a DIY co2 system made no change on the co2 levels or PH of the tank. Now that my planted is ballanced I will be adding discus.

I have yet to keep discus in my planted, soemthing I have been reading about (planted discus tanks) you will need to be carefull with a pressurised co2 system. Adding too much co2 will kill off the fish within hours, and the initial shock of just adding (good amounts) of co2 could very well kill the fish depending on how sensitive they are. The best thing to do is ease the fish into the new inviroment as usual if you really want to get the benifits of adding co2 to your tank.

Adding an airstone with a DIY co2 system will negate any positive effects the co2 will have on your plants, surface aggitation will greatly depleat your co2 levels and will make it pointless to even add it to the system.

Paulio
10-16-2003, 10:44 AM
For a Discus tank I like to see a co2 concentration betwee 15-17ppm. Much higher and some fish get a little stressed To learn how to calculate your co2 contration check this excellent link below. Actualy check the whole site out! It is a great resource for plant tanks.

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_co2chart.htm

Paul