PDA

View Full Version : Another Newcomer

venom_99
09-13-2003, 08:34 AM
Hi Folks, I just wanted to introduce myself as another newcomer to the forums. I am Jeremy Cellarius, and go by venom_99. (I used to own a 1999 Ford Mustang Cobra, and have used this name for a number of different forums. For simplicity's sake, I decided to use it here as well.)

I have been married for just over one year now, and we just found out that we're expecting our first baby in April next year. My paycheck comes courtesy of Ford Motor Company, where I am employed as an engineer in the Powertrain Division. I spend the majority of my day in front of a computer, running analytical simulations of individual engine component performance.

I received my first tank about 20 years ago, which was a little 10 gallon that housed some tropical fish (and minnows/crawfish from the creek near my house, when my mom wasn't looking of course.) My second, and current tank (that has been around 15 years) is a 20 gallon tall, which is fully planted and currently houses gouramis, tiger barbs, and a couple of cory cats.

My intentions, at this point, are to add a 55 gallon All-Glass corner tank to my living room, complete with live plants and driftwood. I have purchased "Discus Fish", and find some of the author's advice to be somewhat comforting, as I too was under the assumption that discus were extremely difficult to maintain. I prefer the look of a moderately planted tank, as it fits into the room's decor quite nicely.

The tank would not be set up until after Christmas, which gives me quite a bit of time to study-up on what equipment I need, the maintenance involved, and what particular livestock will work for me. I am not much interested in breeding nor growing 8" fish, but rather am looking to add an elegant display to my living room, with about 6 discus. (The 20-gal tall w/gouramis is going into the dining room.)

So, for the next few months, I'll be poking my head in the forums to learn more from those experienced members. Fortunately, I live in Dearborn, Michigan, which is just a quick 30-minute drive to Great Lakes Discus. I'm sure that I will be contacting Cary at some point in the near future to gain some invaluable advice. I look forward to talking with all of you.

Ardan
09-13-2003, 04:22 PM
Welcome! :)

Congratulations on the expected new arrival! (Baby 8))

You are lucky to live close to Cary at GLD! You can't go wrong there! :)

Discus_KC
09-14-2003, 12:53 AM
Welcome Jeremy to Simply !!!!!!!

It's a great place to learn !!!!!!!!!

Jack

korbi_doc
09-14-2003, 09:40 AM
:bounce2: :bounce2: :bounce2: Jeremy, Welcome! What a great way to start out with the "king"! You won't go wrong with Cary, his fish & his advice! Have fun! Oh & the best to you & your wife with your new "little one", your life is 'bout to change forever! lol, Dottie ;D ;D

Kenny
09-17-2003, 07:07 AM
Welcome & congrats on the new addition
I haven't been here that long either but everyone is really helpful and friendly.
Hope to see you on the boards

Cheers

Kenny

Heard and seen photos of Carys discus, good start ;D

April
09-17-2003, 10:20 PM
welcome to simply!!!!!! lucky guy living close to cary!!!!!!
:wave:

limige
09-22-2003, 04:05 AM
hey jeremy, i'm mike, i live in the harper woods area. too bad you sold the stang. maybe now you can upgrade to a camaro ;D lol, did you use the venom nitrous system? i've been looking for some info on it, i'm tossing a nitrous/blower cam in the z28 this fall.

if you want to swing by sometime let me know, i have alot of red turks, i have two pairs making lots of babies :o
i'm working with some rsg's and a blue/cobalt pair.

ttl,
mike