PDA

View Full Version : aclimation question

drew22to375
09-15-2003, 01:25 PM
I was wondering if you buy a Discus from a breeder that has the water kept at around ph7.0 and the aged water of mine is 7.8 is there any special aclimation in that big of a change or do you just give it a longer aclimation period? If I remember right it is easier on fish to go up in PH instead of down is that right.

Smokey
09-15-2003, 02:45 PM
Howdey Drew; Just a safety course of action; Always aclimation a fish to new water.

1 - place the new fish in a seperate container, or, you could let the fish float in the bag of water he came in

2 - a little water at a time -add water from the tank to the discus's water.
A few minutes of your time will assure the discus has a safe tranistion. So you spend 15 - 45 minutes, of your time ... no big deal.

3- while the discus is aclimatising to his new water mixture ... pay close attention to the discus. Look at him very carefully, look for any abrasions, cuts, signs of abnormal stress; and if lucky -- it;s stool's. Also a good time to take measurements.

4- after about 15 minutes, I like to remove some of the water, if the discus is still in a bag, and slowly add the "new water". This will remove any ammonia, produced by the discus, while in transite.

5 - A little aireation will aslo be a good idea.

6 - REMEMBER - a fish/discus - goes through a lot of stress:
being caught
being removed from it's familar environment
being placed into a very confining environment [ aka a plastic bag!]
being hauled through unfamilar light and secenry
being startred at by " wide-eyed- persons"
etc....

MPO - take the time to ensure a safe, uneventful trip, for the discus, to it's new home.

AND - do not forget to quartiene the new discus !!!

Just some of my pointers and proceedures.

Smokey

P.S. I am not a fan of the " DUMP AND RUN " METHOD !!!

Carol_Roberts
09-15-2003, 04:53 PM
Depends on how long the discus was bagged. Fish that have been shipped cross country are swimming in bags of ammonia. You start dumping in your 7.8 water and the ammonia becomes more toxic. I pour off most of the bagged water, reach in with both hands, grasp the discus and put it in the tank. My water is also 7.8 and I've not had a problem

discuskrib
09-16-2003, 09:37 PM
with an expensive fish like discus i'd mix the tank water in the bag before putting the fish in. if the fish has been in that bag for a few hours to a few days what's a few more minutes really? (assuming they aren't already looking like they are on death's doorstep).
mix the water. the slower the better. don't put the bag water into the tank. that's really all you need to remember.

Carol_Roberts
09-16-2003, 10:40 PM
If your discus has been in the bag a couple of hours drip and mix all the water you want.

If your discus has been in the bag a couple of days that bag is full of ammonia and low on oxygen. Start dripping in pH 7.8 water and watch the gills and fins fry.

Tad
09-16-2003, 10:44 PM
Drew,I agree with Carol, Make a discuc sandwich between your hands and release them into the tank...and you are correct its much easier on a discus to go from a lower PH to a Higher PH...

JMO,
Tad