PDA

View Full Version : 55 Gallon biotype

A Niner Fan
09-16-2003, 02:01 PM
Hello everyone, I want to do a 55 gallon SA biotype tank, and was wondering how many discus I can sucessfully keep along with my three small angels and a uaru. I plan on planting the tank, but the uaru is making me have second thoughts (unless you can recommend a tough plant he will mostly ignore). I also plan on stocking the tank with a few more roots, since there are only three pieces in there now.

Thanks! ;D

RyanH
09-16-2003, 04:13 PM
it sounds like Uarus can get quite large (20- 30 cm) and a 55 gal. may not be big enough to accomodate everthing that you want to put in there. If you have the means I would suggest going with a larger tank; especially if your Uaru is an aggressive feeder. Your Discus may not get the food that they need. Also, Discus usually do not do well in groups of less than 4-5 of their own kind. You will run out of space really quickly.

Whatever you decide to do, I would also recommend NOT using gravel for your substrate. If you must have a substrate, try a very thin layer (1/4 " or less) of sterilized playsand. That way you can siphon off any waste or uneaten food without having to worry about it getting trapped and rotting.

If you are intending to buy juvenile Discus to start, you do not want them in a community tank while you are growing them out. Keep them in their own bare-bottomed tank, feed the hell out of them, and then add them to your community tank when they get bigger. Otherwise you will have stunted, sickly fish. imho.

hth!! -Ryan

drew22to375
09-16-2003, 10:39 PM
correct me if I am wrong but I remember reading in one of my fish books that it is not recomended to keep angels with Discus due to that Angels can be hosts to parasites that don't effect angels but do harm dicus. Guess if you quarantine them it would be ok then.

Debbie
09-17-2003, 12:08 AM
There is a thought that angels can carry a virus that affects discus, but not the angels. Some people think that it is only the wild angels that carry the virus. It has not been proven as far as I know and I have never had a problem keeping angels and discus together. Maybe just luck but I have been keeping them together for 20 years.
If you want to plant the tank you need more than 1/4 inch of sand and you want a layer of laterite or florite under the sand or gravel. There is a showtanks and biotypes section that would be able to help further.
Your uaru may find anubais to be too tough, also java fern.
Your tank, in my opinion, is too small for all the fish you wish to have in it.

Smokey
09-17-2003, 12:43 AM
The important word here, Drew, is quarantien. AND as Debbie has mentioned, wilds are are carrier of some nasties.

Domestic angels, as domestic discus - all can carry infections ... based on where and how their are raised.

Back to the topic - A fifthy-five gallon tanks is nice to landscape, however - you will find, as the fish grow - room will be compromised ... especially if any of the angles / discus / uaru try and mate.

I applaude your thinking, sounds like it would be quite a tank to watch ... but - not necessarilly an oppertune setup.

However, that never stopped me before. lol....

smokey

A Niner Fan
09-17-2003, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the replies! I do have gravel in the tank, about an inch and a half worth....but constantly monitor my water, and am faithful with water changes. I do have a 100, but my oscar and severum may take issue to a newcomer uaru, but you never know....

Thanks again for your input....

Fisheyes
09-17-2003, 12:25 PM
I think your oscar will love the flavor of discus .

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Smokey
09-17-2003, 03:28 PM
Come on now Ken, lets not scare the poor kid.
Oscars get along with all types of fish ... so the fellow at the local fish store told me {??} ;D ;D ;D

NINER- here is a silly suggestion -- have the fish trade tanks!
Heck a good discus is worth more than a dozen nice oscars, mpo. lol.

What type of the severums do you have? Golds or the greens?
I used to breed the Goldern severums .. heck they paid for most of my equipement. Lovely fish.

Smokey

A Niner Fan
09-17-2003, 06:11 PM
He's a green sev, I've had him for a few months now. Nice male w/ trailing fins....not overly aggressive at all. Reddest eyes you've ever seen. The oscar is a big guy, that upon seeing his own reflection, turns the brightest red you've ever seen. I mean this guy glows! He starts shaking his head and vibrating, it's just great! Sure, all fish are safe with the oscar, as long as your not small enough to fit inside his mouth! His reflection is his only enemy...he wouldn't hurt a fly, maybe just 10 crickets or so. I got him at Petsmart of all places.....I also have a T. Elioti which is generally ignored....much too fast for either of the forementioned anyway.

The uaru I assume would be OK with those guys, but it would be pushing the limit in a 100, don't you think? I think the severum, closely resembling the uaru in size and shape, may be the one to take exception....both are males, and they tend to be very peaceful. not sure what I want to do at this point.