PDA

View Full Version : Cycling

Discus-n00b
09-18-2003, 06:59 PM
Ok i have an idea, but need to make sure its ok to go through with it.

I have a Whisper power filter on my 29gal. Could i pop that sucker on the back of my new 55gal BB tank and let it run for a while, then put another new filter (AC500) on the back and run that with the wisper for a while? Would the AC500 get cycled like that? Would the tank get cycled like that?

Also..... I am going to get 2 sponge filters.....where would these hook into? If i got a cainster filter would these hook right up to the canister? Need help! ???

Thanx for your suggestions...etc. ;D

shorthair
09-18-2003, 07:56 PM
Hi Discus-n00b,

You could put the cycled whisper filter on the new tank to speed up the seeding of your new AC500, but remember if your 29gal tank is contaminated with any disease you will be introducing it to the new tank. Also just putting the whisper filter on the new tank without feeding the bacteria (with poop from fish in the tank, fish food or adding ammonia) will do no justice and the bacteria will die off :'(.
I would add pure ammonia to the tank to help feed the bacteria. Bring the ammonia levels to around 5ppm and allow the bacteria to convert to NO3. I would keep an eye on the ammonia ppm and add more if levels reach zero, then you will have lots of bacteria established.

As far as the canister filter, your AC500 will be good enough for that 55gal tank. I would remove the carbon and add another AC500 foam into it.

Devin

Discus-n00b
09-18-2003, 08:35 PM
K thanks.......didn't even think about the contamination.

Ok so what are sponge filters hooked up to?

bobcat
09-18-2003, 10:53 PM
hi SH
so, Where you get the pure ammonia.
bob cat

Carol_Roberts
09-19-2003, 12:22 AM
You get pure ammonia from your grocery store or Walmart - it's just cheap ammonia - non sudsy, no lemony scent, etc.

Sponge filters like Hydro Spnges are hooked up to an air pump - instead of an airstone or bubble wand or scuba diving Micky Mouse.

To quickly cycle the 55 . . . . install the aqua clear with 2 internal sponges and half the Whisper cartridge. Feed with ammonia for every other day for two weeks. The whisper cartridge will seed the sponges. Most (not all) fish dependant nasties will die with no fish in the tank.

Put a new Whisper cartridge in the Whisper filter along with half the old one and that filter will quickly cycle too.

Smokey
09-19-2003, 01:05 PM
Ahhh, does thank mean I have to let Micky Mouse go ?? Minnie will be so lonely!

Discus-n00b
09-22-2003, 08:46 PM
Most (not all) fish dependant nasties will die with no fish in the tank.

LOL that is a great word.........nasties. LOL :P :P

Sponge filters like Hydro Spnges are hooked up to an air pump - instead of an airstone or bubble wand or scuba diving Micky Mouse.

K thanks........no Mickey in MY tank. 8)

dgmckay
09-22-2003, 10:57 PM
For some reason, they don't seem to sell regular old ammonia here anymore. I went looking for some a few months back, and all I could find is the lemon-scented stuff - and even that was rare.

Odd.

Regards,

Dave.

Smokey
10-23-2003, 01:28 PM
Dave; keep on looking. There has to be someplace that sells the orignal NH3..... I would think.

Try a drugstore [?].

Yes, it seems now-a-days. the "Cheap products" are just getting to expensive to sell, [refering to reatail products].

Smokey

ronrca
10-23-2003, 03:21 PM
Try no name brands at Safeway! Thats where my wife found some! ;)

Smokey
10-24-2003, 01:38 AM
There ya go.. Good luck and keep us updated on your progess.