PDA

View Full Version : Almost ready for discus!

Discus-n00b
09-21-2003, 05:09 PM
I really didn't know where to post this, but i am a beginner so.....i posted here.

Well, i feel i am almost ready for discus.

I went to my LFS today just to browse and i saw they had discus, so i was like well LFS discus could never rival top of the line breeder's discus. So i look at them and they were AWSOME Heckles! They also had turquoise and PBs. The PBs were a little pepperd but they had a VERY nice shape and real red eyes. These looked like grade A discus. They were active, went towards the top when i acted as if i were to feed them. They were always at the front of the glass........They had all sizes with decent prices, considering you would be paying shipping for discus that you order. This LFS also runs the same water i do (the city water) So the pH should be fine for me! :D

I can't wait to see what they have when i am denfinently ready.

This board has helped me tons!!!! Thank you! 8)

Debbie
09-22-2003, 12:21 AM
Sounds like you know what to look for and have put much research into discus keeping. Not all LFS sell inferior discus. You just have to be careful and know what to look for. There are several LFS in my area that sell discus and they get them from local hobbiests. Sometimes they are good quality and sometimes not.
Good luck when you do buy some.

Abercrombie6202
09-22-2003, 07:21 AM
I'd still stick with breeder discus, they can give you a better deal. Especially when you are first starting out :) When i got my first discus, about half a week ago, lol, i was able to get 5 magnificent discus for only 30 bucks!! I went to my LFS they were selling 2 inch fish for 20 bucks each and 4-6 inch fish for like 40 bucks!

My question is, are you sure you know all the basics? Have you read through the begineer sectyions of this forum?

Where do you live? maybe there is a breeder, near by!!

If a discus comes from a breeder they usually know the background information of the fish. LFS usually don't

Discus-n00b
09-22-2003, 04:21 PM
I have read and read again :D

I live in Columbia SC, been looking for a breeder but no luck. Also heard a few others from SC here that i have seen looking for a breeder :(. If any of you in SC have any discus for sale plz let me know. :D

Yes its probably true about getting them from the breeder. Not sure yet.......the tank is still in its cycle so i am going to have to wait to see what the LFS has when it finishes....if nothing i want, then definently i will be ordering from a breeder.