PDA

View Full Version : Changing filter pads

stevestauberjr
10-03-2003, 04:18 PM
I was just curious how often everyone who uses hang on the back filters changes there pads? I have 2 Tetratec's which have 2 pads on each side instead of the usual one(equaling a total of four pads per filter) so when you replace the back pads you rotate the front pads into there space and put two new ones in the front. Once every two weeks? every week? All responses and opinions are greatly appreciated.

10-03-2003, 04:28 PM
Are "filter pads" just sponge/floss? or is there some sortof carbon in there?? I've got aquaclears with sponges only, so I keep rinsing them in tank water and re-using until they're practically falling apart...
david

stevestauberjr
10-03-2003, 04:31 PM
I dump the carbon out of the filter sleeves when I buy them. So there just pads(I don't know what there made of) same thing as whisper pads I guess.

DarkDiscus
10-03-2003, 04:31 PM
I would not use a filter with pads that need to be replaced regularly - the best ones have foam inserts - rinse and replace. Cheap and easy.

Since you have removed the gravel and have embraced the bare bottom mentality, assuming you do w/c you don't need carbon/etc in those pads - so find a sponge that fits your filter and just rinse in in tank water weekly. I think you will be happy with the results.

John

Carol_Roberts
10-03-2003, 04:45 PM
Hi Steve:
You can buy sponges that are made for a different brand of filter and just cut them to fit. I have a well with no chlorine so I can rinse my sponges under the faucet. If you have city water you will need to rinse yours in abucket of dechlorinated water or used tank water.

stevestauberjr
10-03-2003, 05:02 PM
So I can't just replace them every week or so? I bought a ton of the replacement pads already so I might as well use them. I just want to know how often I should go about either cleaning them or replacing them all together. How often do your rinse your pads is the question I guess..lol.

Carol_Roberts
10-03-2003, 05:39 PM
The "good" bacteria grow on the filter pad. When you throw away the pad you throw away the bacteria. A new pad may take 2 or 3 weeks to grow new bacteria.

You rinse the pads when you see they have brown gunk on them. I have prefilter sponges on the intake tubes of my filters. I rinse my internal sponges every month or so. Without prefilters you may need to rinse every week.

Supply houses makes money selling filter pads when in reality rinsed sponges are best and last almost forever.

stevestauberjr
10-03-2003, 05:56 PM
O.k. thanks all.

Roblue
12-05-2003, 05:44 AM
Hi Carol and company,

I have an emperor 280, and I use two filter pads in it. They are in there for one month, but I alternate the changes so that every two weeks a new one goes in. Since there's already a well established bio-wheel, should I be concerned that the beneficial bacteria is being disturbed by using filter pads instead of foam inserts? I also have a fluval 4plus in that tank. Since many people on the board are proponents of the aquaclear and foam inserts, I was just curious. Thanks.

Rob

Carol_Roberts
12-05-2003, 12:09 PM
Theoretically your biofilter is the bio wheel and you are using the insert pads as a prefilter inside the filter box. By throwing the pads away every two weeks they don't have time to grow much of a bacteria bed anyway.

In my opinion, the flaw with this type of filter is that your filter box sucks in all kinds of feces and uneaten food which rot, producing ammonia. Pulling out the pads and throwing them away gets rid of some of this.

Next time you clean, pull your whole filter off the back of the tank. Pull out the media and dump the water left in the filter into the sink. . . see all the floating bits?

Oh, and as long as you have the filter off the tank, get your brush out and clean the impellor and spraybar too ;)

Personally, I like to have those big sponges in the aqua clear for biological filtration with a fine pore sponge on the intake to keep out the feces and food. Doesn't it make sense that disolved liquid waste in converted faster than chunks of beefheart and feces? Siphon out the solids. Don't leave them in the tank or the filter to decompose, producing more ammonia in the tank.

RyanH
12-05-2003, 02:39 PM
IMO, the manufacturers that make filters with these "throwaway" media are doing so without the best interests of their customers or their customers tanks in mind. They are doing so to make money. Fish stores also make tons of money on these accessories as well as the replacement fish that people will buy because they can't seem to keep their fish alive.

I find it quite disturbing when I see these huge boxes of "replacement cartridges" being sold along side the filter (for nearly the same price as the filter) in the lfs to unsuspecting people who may not understand that filtration does not only consist of the mechanical variety.

I can't believe the bad advice I have heard employees at fish stores in my area give to customers: "just replace this filter cartridge every week and you shouldn't have any problems." or "I don't know much about anitbiotics but one of these should help. Why don't you try all three, one is sure to cure your fish disease." when the problem is probably just an ammonia spike.

It makes me crazy.

>:( >:( :soapbox: