PDA

View Full Version : POWER FINALLY!!!

gump
10-06-2003, 07:57 PM
After 7 1/2 days of a power failure we finally got our power back today!!! YAHOO!!!
Hurricane Juan hit Halifax dead on last Sunday night & our power went down then. I had no working generator but it didn't much matter because we had no fuel anyway!! Temperature was starting to be a problem as the last two nights outside temps were down to 8 degrees celcius. I had my filters running intermitantly (spelling) by the use of a DC inverter. But that was just for the last few days. Besides the 3 freezers of food lost, my marine tank was totally lost. I had a pair of Uaru that just had free swimming fry the day before, & I lost one of them :'(. My discus allseem to have made it so far. I hardly fed last week because of lack of filtration. They don't look very well. We also had limited water because we are on a dug well & couldn't do water changes. Now I will invest in a BIG reliable generator & have lots of extra fuel on hand when any impending storm is forcasted. Has anyone seen the TV footage?, I've been cutting 400 year old Oak trees off of peoples homes in Halifax. There are still alot of people without power!! HP you out there??? How'd you fair out in Chester?
Pierre

Abercrombie6202
10-06-2003, 08:37 PM
I didn't know anybody had their power go out, wasn't on the news i don't think. Sorry to hear about some of your fish, i really hope your discus survive!

korbi_doc
10-06-2003, 08:55 PM
:'( :'( :'( Pierre, I've not seen it either. So, so sorry for your losses. This is a sad occurrence for everyone involved, money, property & stock, such a devastating natural disaster. Wishing you the best recovery, Dottie

10-06-2003, 09:42 PM
Pierre, I feel you pain....I was also out of power for 6 days when hurricane Isabell gave a visit to us a few weeks ago..
We had a lot of damage around us also.....I spent 6 days running my filters off an inverter also...I was lucky my discus came through without any problems.....I hope you get back on your feet and back to normal soon.......

Randy 8)

Debbie
10-07-2003, 01:22 AM
So sorry. Hope the survivors are ok. Too bad about the marines, I have a reef and know how expensive they can be (kind of like discus) :(

Ardan
10-07-2003, 05:45 PM
That's a long time without power!
Hope all goes well for you.
Glad you are back! 8) :)

Jeff
10-07-2003, 06:04 PM
Man that stinks. Glad you are ok and back. :)

April
10-07-2003, 08:25 PM
Hi Pierre. i have seen the footage and was wondering about you as i saw Halifax. glad your ok anyhow. sorry to hear about the fish. Soon all of us will have a generator. think if you have alot of fish , its a must. well hope the rest do ok.
guess a stockpile of gas to run it is also necessary.

gump
10-10-2003, 05:23 AM
As an update, I ended up loosing one Discus. The remaing fish are now just starting to act like themselves. Feeding has also been a bummer, as I lost all my frozen food which was a great variety. Oh well, could have been ALOT worse.I guess I make beefheart this Saturday!!
Pierre