PDA

View Full Version : OCTOBER 2003 MEMBER SPOTLIGHT - RYAN WONG (ORIENT)

DarkDiscus
10-07-2003, 09:10 AM
Here we are, folks, in record time. I have to thank Ryan (Orient) for really speeding up the process and getting back to me within a day with the questions! I was planning on doing a bit of a Halloween special, but I'm thinking that everyone would rather just hear about Ryan ASAP and also see some pics of his great fish. So, that's my October surprise - an early spotlight!

And heeeeeere's the real, uncensored Orient!

Q - Please tell us all a little about yourself. Single, married, attached? Other hobbies? Any significant non-discus achievements you want to brag about?

A - Hi there, my name is Ryan Wong and generally known as Wong among my friends over here. I'm 31 and come from Penang, Malaysia. Just gotten married in May to my pretty wife Mei Kin this year and expecting my first baby boy in Feb 2003... I am going to be a dad!

Apart from discus, I keep marine fish and 5 dogs at home. Pretty much discus keeping has been my main hobby. The amount of work and time required to maintain my farm takes up the bulk of my time. I am very happy to have a very understanding wife.

Q - Congratulations on your impending fatherhood! How did you get into discus? Where was the first discus you saw? How long had you been into fish first?

A - I had my first discus in 1990 when my present partner and good friend Lawrence Soon gave me some discus (brilliants). It was love at first sight and started my journey into amazing world of discus keeping. I never kept any fish before and can you imagine the amount of anxiety and stress that those discus put me through? I nearly gave up on those delicate fish until I had my first pair spawning. That precious moment made all the effort worthwhile.

Q - How did you decide to take the plunge into breeding as a professional endeavor?

A - I actually stopped keeping discus in 1992 when I left to the States for my undergraduate studies in Lexington, KY. Came back in 1996 and started working in a bank. The mundane job nearly drove me nuts and I lasted only 9 months on the job. As chance would have it, I was reunited with Lawrence Soon and soon joined his company, Lucky Tropical Fish Farm as his partner. Hey, I was thinking, isnt it great to work with something you really enjoy. I have never looked back since. We are among the pioneering companies in discus breeding and among the first to market our discus online.

I am really more of a marketing man and only help out in the w/c... LOL! Most of the breeding is managed by Lawrence and he is a very qualified and experienced discus keeper. All the credit goes to him. I am just someone that handles all the sales, money and complaints..

Q - What were the major obstacles involved in setting up as a breeder? Any advice for aspiring breeders?

A - The major obstacles are generally producing the best shaped discus and keeping them healthy. Discus fry below 2 inches requires the most care and attention. This is the time when the lack of it will make you runts or culls even if you have the best shaped parents. There are so many times that we get frustrated when we see the insanely high amount of frys that we have to cull.

For aspiring breeders, patience is the major trait that you must have and always buy good reputable breeding stock. Do seek opinion of other enthusiast/breeders. We might know a lot but never everything.

Q - How many pairs do you currently have producing? How many tanks? What would be the maximum you could handle with your current system?

A - I normally have about 50 pairs of fish breeding at any one time and they are rested when they have bred three times in row. Normal resting period is 2 weeks. Sometimes they just don't get it that they are on holiday and will spawn in the community tank.

In my breeding farm, I have 240 tanks. I am using all 55 gallon tanks for my breeders and grow outs. Water storage capacity is 14,000 gallons and they are aged overnight prior to use. My water here is very soft at less than 100 ms and ph remains at 7.0-7.5 for all my tanks. This way, my fish gets acclimatized easier when they are shipped. I have room for another 120 tanks in my present place.

I have a separate facility for my packing and quarantine located near my farm bout 5 minutes drive away. This facility has 150 - 55 gallon tanks and normally houses discus and other tropical fish prior to their shipment. Fishes here undergo strict quarantine process and has separate nets and hoses.

Q - What strains are you the most happy with? Which do you think need some work? Are you working on anything new and exciting now? What strains do you like best, personally?

A - I work a lot with the spotted variety like Leopards, Leopard Snakeskins and RSGs. It was until couple years ago that we tried to cross our own breed and we started with solids. As a result, Mandarin Passion was born. We are very proud of this fish and have selectively bred them untll F3 prior to releasing them commercially.

Generally all discus still have room for improvement. To me, I will always need to correct the shape, color, eyes and finnage of my fish. I am never a believer that we have the best fish now because discus can always get better.

We are currently working extensively on breeding spotted golden spotted red fishes like the gold RSG, gold Leopard and gold Leopard Snakeskin. Hopefully we can see them very soon.

I dont really prefer a certain strain over another. As long as the shape is good, I am game for it. If its not, I will work towards improving it.

Q - Any tips on breeding or raising discus?

A - Patience. It's so common to hear discus about parents eating up their wrigglers or eggs. Discus do this all the time. Parental instinct is strong in this fish and that is what makes them so special. Again, source for the best available breeding stocks.

When you do get successful spawns, be prepared to make a lot of sacrifices with regard your leisure time. Fry do require a lot of attention and care when they are growing up. I always admire hobbyists that manage to produce high quality discus knowing the amount of time they poured into this hobby.

Q - What do you feed your discus?

A - I only feed my fish BeefHeart mix. Bloodworms are only fed to the breeders.

Q - What is your most exhilarating moment with discus?

A - Huge spawns. It always brings a smile to my face when I see the breeders covered with fry. Its amazing how well these fish care for their young.

Q - What is your most frustrating moment with discus?

A - It would be when my breeders decides to go on strike on me. They just look at you dumbly and pretend not to notice the cone.

Q - Do you have any future discus plans that you would like to share with us?

A - My goal would be to create more new strains and make better-shaped discus. There is always room for improvement.

Q - How do those in your life feel about discus?

A - I have been blessed with a very supportive family and especially my wife. She is my biggest supporter and critic.

Q - Do you have any funny, amusing or interesting discus stories to share with us?

A - Discus are hardy fish. There was this one time when I shipped my fish to Glasgow Scotland and it ended up in Italy. The flight was re-routed and 24 hrs later reached Glasgow. Only 10% deaths on that shipment. Total time in bag was more than 60 hrs. I never expected them to make it at all.

Q - Do you have any thanks or credit to give for your success with discus? Any mentors or colleagues who you think deserve some kudos?

A - To my good friend and partner, Lawrence Soon for introducing me into this hobby and keeping a sane mind when I lost mine!

There are too many people to thank and especially to my discus friends that I have gotten to know the past year here, Sly, Roy, Jeff, April, Al, Miles, RyanS, Glenn, Dan, Henry, Jack and many more. I am very sorry if I have left out any here. Apart from discus, I am very happy to have gotten to know these bunch of discus nuts.

Q - What do you see as the future of discuskeeping? More or less people? Any cool ideas for strains?

A - Definitely more people will be in this hobby. Its not as difficult as it seems.

Q - Can you think of anything I left out you would like to bring up -either personally or discus related?

A - I have a new website going online on the 8th Oct 2003. The address is at www.absolutediscus.com . This is my discus only site. More pictures can be seen there.

On an ending note, I am extremely gratified to be in the spotlight. Its an honor and I would like to extend a big thanks to all the members here.

Q - Thank you very much, Ryan! I am sure that everyone is looking forward to you posting some pics to this thread. I would personally appreciate it if you could post some pics of strains you and Lawrence are currently working on so that we can watch along with you as they develop!

darcy
10-07-2003, 09:18 AM
Great interview!! Top notch!! Thanks guys.
Darcy

Discus_KC
10-07-2003, 09:20 AM
Ryan,

What a great spotlight !!!!! We need more mentors to help us learn !!! Thank you for inspiring us to strive for better quality fish !!!! I agree, there is always room for improvement !!!!!!!

Now it's time for some pics !!!!!

Jack

John, thanks for all the hard work !!!! You make it look easy !!!!!!

Glenn
10-07-2003, 09:33 AM
Thanks guys its alwats fun to find out more stuff about the guys we chat with.good job .

henryD
10-07-2003, 09:54 AM
Great interview......of course we are all waiting patiently for those pictures......

:bounce: :bounce2: :bounce: :bounce2: :bounce: :bounce2:

Ok have I demonstrated enough patience yet?

Let see those :fish: :fish: :fish:

Henry

PS......Ah your a superstious man. ;) Waiting til October 8th to start the new website......Well then I wish you lots of it...

88888888888888888 and bunch of 10's to go with it. 10-8 10-8 10-8 10-8 10-8 10-8 10-8 10-8 10-8. or some 4's 4848484848484848484. ;D ;D ;D

Ryan
10-07-2003, 09:55 AM
Great interview, guys! I'm excited for the pictures too. I've never seen a fish from Orient that I didn't like. Show us those half-black blue diamonds :)

Ryan

DarkDiscus
10-07-2003, 10:10 AM
By the way, what is it with guys name Ryan and tropical fish? Before this forum I never knew anyone named Ryan in my entire life except a history teacher I had whose last name was Ryan.

And we have how many Ryans here now who are fish nuts??

Very interesting trend here!

;D

John

ronrca
10-07-2003, 10:11 AM
:thumbsup:
Thanks for the wonderful interview! It is always encouraging to hear how people are continuing to strive for excellance in this hobby despite down sets and failures.
Thanks again! :cool:

April
10-07-2003, 10:28 AM
Great interview 'Oryan"!!! his new name in chat. very hard to talk to two ryans at once.
Thanks for telling us more about you. and yes a very speedy spotlight . Hardly was like an exam at all . lol.
I have two little mandarin passions in my tank that followed me home yesterday from the airport. and they are very nice looking little babies. cant wait to watch them grow up.
;D

CARY_GLdiscus
10-07-2003, 10:55 AM
Well Done Guys! Great Report! ;D

zoids
10-07-2003, 11:29 AM
Ryan,

Great going man :).

Going to be a family man soon yeah.

All the best and great interview guys.

Roy

CARY_GLdiscus
10-07-2003, 12:01 PM
Thanks Roy,
I forgot to add best wishes to you and your new family ryan! ;D

Cary + family

SLY
10-07-2003, 12:06 PM
Great Interview as usual from John..hey you have been using the same set of questions for a year now..time to get some new questions to dig out even more information for the next victim..I smell "randall". :P

Great job orient for keeping those quality fishes and only sell the good ones..keep up the good work and enjoy your fatherhood.

DarkDiscus
10-07-2003, 12:22 PM
Sly,

Well, I've changes some of the questions, but most are the same... I did have some Halloween questions to ask, but I was told there's no Halloween over there, so they wouldn't have worked out very well...

BUT...

I'm thinking of doing a special Halloween interview late this month!

;D

John

korbi_doc
10-07-2003, 01:01 PM
:bounce2: :bounce2: Hey john, that was a great interview, very enlightening & inspiring!!

Ok, "Oryan" its so good to know you & your ideals in discus-keeping! I can't conceive a "working discus farm" that large & all-encompassing. I look forward to seeing your beautiful fish! Who knows, maybe someday some of us will actually get to visit your "discusdom".

I wish you & your expectant wife much joy & happiness in your future! Dottie ;D

beta
10-07-2003, 01:18 PM
Nice Interview :) Nice to know the man behind the works

Now out with the pics i'm ready to drool ;D

Jeff
10-07-2003, 01:32 PM
Nice job bro. Keep up the good work. 8)

paulmat
10-07-2003, 01:47 PM
As usual, great interview John!!!
It's nice to learn more about you Ryan and you seem to have it all going for you, with a great wife,a baby on the way and a job that truely is satisfing!
Good Luck with all ;D

Paul :guitarist:

Ardan
10-07-2003, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the interview! :)
Its always great to learn about and from others 8)

Best wishes for you and your family :D

Orient
10-07-2003, 09:40 PM
Ok Guys... Here are some pics of my operation, fishes that I have now and fishes that I am workin on..

First One...

Front Row tanks that greets u when u enter

Orient
10-07-2003, 09:41 PM
My breeding row.. Faced against the wall to minimize disturbance..Privacy corner.. ;D

Orient
10-07-2003, 09:42 PM
My community and outgrow tanks

April
10-07-2003, 09:42 PM
ok thats it....im movin in.lol. cool.

Orient
10-07-2003, 09:43 PM
Water Storage Facilities..

7 units of 2200 gallon acryllic tanks.

Orient
10-07-2003, 09:43 PM
My crown Jewel... The Mandarins

Orient
10-07-2003, 09:44 PM
The MP adult

Orient
10-07-2003, 09:45 PM
My favorite Leopard

Orient
10-07-2003, 09:46 PM
Some Blue Diamond and One Blue-Black Diamond.. 8)

Orient
10-07-2003, 09:47 PM
Some LSS.. looking frisky after w/c

Orient
10-07-2003, 09:47 PM
I like these clean pearl pigeons...

Orient
10-07-2003, 09:48 PM
My alpha Male

Orient
10-07-2003, 09:48 PM
Fineline Snakeskin..

vinson
10-07-2003, 09:49 PM
Nice interview.

Congrats on fatherhood. Ryan ;D

Orient
10-07-2003, 09:49 PM
Some of the golden spotted that I am concentrating on.

Golden RSG..

Orient
10-07-2003, 09:50 PM
Golden Leopard

Orient
10-07-2003, 09:50 PM
Golden Leopard Snakeskin

Orient
10-07-2003, 09:53 PM
To all...

A BIG Thanks... :D

p/s..April..were u waitin on me..lol

April
10-07-2003, 10:00 PM
LOL Orient. nah..im just moderating. keep you under control. lol.
great pics. quite like that golden spotted. thats neat.
ok i like them all. :thumbsup:

Jeff
10-07-2003, 10:15 PM
Drool, drool golden leopard. :o

Tad
10-07-2003, 10:52 PM
Ryan/Orient,
Great interview and congratulations on your marriage and soon to be family. What an impressive hatchery and operation :o.......14,000 gallons of water storage WOW!!!..when do you have time for anything else....I always appreciate your posted pictures of your discus...Nothing but the highest quality.... :thumbsup:

with the highest regards,
Tad

Miles
10-07-2003, 11:53 PM
Great Interview !!!

8) Miles

beta
10-08-2003, 12:07 AM
:o Bootiful

GulfCoastDiscus
10-08-2003, 08:06 AM
Congrats on your Wedding and upcoming addition to your family. Great looking facility. Looking forward to the Golden Leopards.

Dan

Jason
10-08-2003, 09:36 AM
thanks guys,

best wishes with the new fammily addition!

ps. Ryan, I'm still single hahahahahahhaaha ;D

chinoz
10-08-2003, 06:21 PM
oh my godddddddddddddddddddd !!!! *drooling*

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Pat_in_NC
10-08-2003, 07:23 PM
Great Interview John and Ryan. Great discus Ryan. I have a few of your mandarin passions and blue diamonds (thanks to Jeff) swimming in my tanks the past few days--really perfect shape and nice color on these fish Ryan! Its going to be fun to see them grow up.

When are the yellow leopards going to be available over here? They are looking very nice! Hmm maybe I need to sell some more of my discus to make space for some more of yours....lol.

Great job and congrats on the impending addition to your family!

Also thanks again to you and Jeff for sending such nice fish!

Pat

Preeda_Lim
10-09-2003, 04:50 AM
Great interview, thanks John, Orient.
Very impressive golden. ;D

Preeda

Kap
10-09-2003, 01:30 PM
What a good interview, John & Ryan. I eagerly looked forward to the photos and was not disappointed! While the discus are probably the best of your best, they sure looked GREAT! You appear to have a well capitalized operation with excellent stock to breed from. Best wishes as you continue to realize your goals!

brewmaster15
10-09-2003, 10:04 PM
John,
That was a great interview as usual. I appreciate the work and time that goes into these my friend! :)

Oryan! :) It was great learning more about you, Thank you! I am very glad you are a part of this site !

Congratulations to you and your wife on the upcoming child...Its the greatest thing in the world!

I do have some questions though... Can I come to work for you? and do you give employee discounts on discus :)

Awesome fish and what a immense hatchery....puts my basement into good perspective!

take care,
al

April
10-09-2003, 10:43 PM
Brew.you snooze you lose. Oryan already said i can move into his hatchery. and work there. lol.

brewmaster15
10-09-2003, 11:26 PM
April,
Does he know that you are notorious for "collecting" discus? :)

But by the size of the hatchery..I'd say we can both work there. :)

-al

10-10-2003, 12:00 AM
:sun::thumbsup::sun::thumbsup::sun::thumbsup:

Nice interview and very impressive background on Ryan (Orient)!! Love the facilities! Wow.. really impressive.

**Fry Girl Angie**

Thanks for the report DarkDiscus..Nice job.

Rod
10-10-2003, 09:26 AM
Great interview Ryan and John :)

wow Ryan your discus are very very immpressive, we have to talk in Singapore mate ;) Ever sent discus to Australia before?? ;D

Rod

Orient
10-11-2003, 02:36 AM
Many Thanks for the compliments fellas... ;D ;D

Al and April - Jot this down... Retirement in Penang..lol

Pat In NC - Hehe... Im very sure u will be happy seeing em grow up..

Praeda Lim - Thanks..

Kap - Thanks..

Fry Girl...Thanks..

Rod... Yes... We'll meet up in Sing... Probably get drunk and sleep on the streets.

April
10-11-2003, 03:07 AM
ok...Oryan.....lol. no sleeping in the streets!! make sure you eat some of that food before the beer..on your fish food tours......
I will start planning my retirement!!! LOL.

Jeff
10-11-2003, 11:06 AM
Sleep in the streets..hehe. I will have my camera. ;D

Carol_Roberts
10-11-2003, 12:32 PM
Great story and awesome discus. There are even more pictures on his new website http://www.absolutediscus.com/

Rod
10-11-2003, 04:52 PM
LOL Ryan, ok looks like i'll be in good company then. ;D

ping
10-11-2003, 05:40 PM
Great pictures and story. :)

Retirement in Penang, that's a good idea. LOL
Orient, can i join ? Well, guys can i join ? :)

Well, that's gonna be in 30 years later then. LOL
Keep that room with air condition near your hatchery for me. ;D
30 years, wont be long. ;D

Good work Orient, congratulations to you and your wife on your upcoming child.

Hi Rod, you will be in perfect company. :) Ok first list, his mandarin passions. LOL

Regards,
Ronny

crazy4discus
10-11-2003, 06:48 PM
great interview guys and congradulations on your marriage and soon to be born son orient all of the fish pixs that you post up are always stunning you know that i be drooling too when you post them lol keep up the good work ryan!!!!!!!!! and im drooling again lolz

April
10-11-2003, 08:42 PM
ok im sure glad Jeff is gonna be there to look after you boys....i will give him strict instructions . lol. bring that camera jeff..i want pics and full reports.

aquatechnics
10-12-2003, 07:43 PM
Ryan,
Thanks for the great inteview and congratulations on your marriage.
Alberto

Orient
10-13-2003, 04:15 AM
Hey Guys...

Compliments appreciated..

I've just added the pic pop-up feature... Hope u guys enjoy.

blackghost
10-14-2003, 11:46 AM
What a interview, just great.
And orient i have never seen so many tanks in one place in my life and absolutly awsome discus.

up to my eartips in drool ;)

outlawpc
10-14-2003, 09:29 PM
Thank you John & Ryan. . . great piece!

Ryan wishing you and your family the best in the years ahead :-)

If you think discus are a challege wait untill you have a few of the kiddies. . . oh my are you in for it :o

Willie
10-16-2003, 08:56 PM
I have seen the future of discus and its a Golden RSG!

Willie :thumbsup:

Pat_in_NC
10-17-2003, 09:31 PM
Willie,

Now you've let the cat out of the bag--your really a Springsteen fan! Hmmm--I can just see the golden leps singing "maybe we were born to swim...."

Pat

April
10-18-2003, 02:32 AM
LOL Pat. i like that...maybe he should add that to his site.

brew1
10-25-2003, 01:54 PM
Hi Ryan,

Nice Discus. Are ALL the Discus pictured from breeding pairs owned by you and your partner?

Where are the pictures of the breeding pairs with fry on their backs?

Would love to see them, especially the Mandarin Passion Pairs and the LSS Pairs with fry.

Best Regards - Mark

April
10-25-2003, 08:23 PM
Ryan broke his camera.....but....jeff to the rescue hopefully with his fancy camera while hes there....for aquarama.
hope he gets some for us.

Discus_KC
10-27-2003, 08:19 AM
I think we are in store for some great pics !!!!!

Ryan, Roy, and Sly always hold back on fish. I believe they think we can't handle all that great quality at once !!!!!

And maybe they are right !!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Jack

jim_shedden
11-01-2003, 09:16 AM
:thumbsup:

jim