PDA

View Full Version : A few Q's about new discus tank

firemouth_convict
10-07-2003, 11:27 PM
I have a 50gal. I want to run a penguin 170 with a canister filter. My question is for the intake, can i hook my canister filter up to a sponge filter and the the out take out the penguin. I'm confused, could someone help me please?

Mike

Abercrombie6202
10-08-2003, 07:44 AM
Yes what kind of a canister filter are you buying? Eheim? Fluval? Magnum? etc... Yes all you have to do is buy a sponge like the ones they have in the acuaclears and cut a piece out so that it fits right onto the intake. just wondering why do you want it to go into your penguin? becuaqse of the biowheels? Well if your going to do that i would recommend just having the canister on, the penguin should be turned off because then there will be too much water and it will probably start to poor out. If you put the outake in the penguin then it might get loose one day and you'll have all the water in your tnak on your floor!! I recomend looking at a magnum canister filter that comes with a bio-wheel. Go to www.DrsFosterSmith.com and search for these things, look at all of them please.
H.O.T. Magnum Pro System
Bio Wheel Pro 60

Good Luck!! :)

10-08-2003, 07:52 AM
I'm confuse too. Just let them run separately. You can't hook them up togehter in series. or are you talking about pre-filter?
Jimmy

Carol_Roberts
10-11-2003, 12:08 AM
Don't try to hook them together. Do you need both? Is the Penguin 170 a powerhead or a hang on the back filter?