PDA

View Full Version : Lighting problem

xpotato
10-08-2003, 04:19 PM
I would like to know what kind of bulb is suitable for Discus?
How many watts?
I have a 75gal tank with the 2*24" bulbs.
it seems that my bulbs are too bright. My discus are so stress when I turn on the light.

What should I do?

dkokes
10-08-2003, 05:07 PM
Hi

Well discus like when the aquarium is darker. I mean they look better. Or you can turn on one bulb wait for about 10 minutes and then another one. I have it like that it's automatic.

ronrca
10-08-2003, 05:25 PM
I have a 30G tank with 2 48" fluorescent strip above it. My discus are fine! Mind you, I have the light on 24 hours a day.

Mykiss
10-09-2003, 11:15 PM
Xpotato, what I have done is take one of the bulbs out and get them used to the one bulb. Use the one bulb for a while (~2 weeks). Then, on a really sunny day (that's if you tank gets the sunlight, add in the other bulb.
PT

lesley
10-10-2003, 04:49 PM
Hi xpotato,

I have found that if I have a couple of wide leaved plants, like Anubias in the discus are able to use them for shade if the light is too bright for them. I also never turn on bright lights straight from darkness. I usually turn on a couple of dim lights in the room first (I've got my tanks in our lounge room), then bright room lights, then one light over the discus tank, and a couple of minutes later the second one.

Would make a lot of sense to have this automatic like dkokes suggested.

Abercrombie6202
10-10-2003, 04:58 PM
Hi i have a 75 gallon tank and i have 1, 48" bulb and 2, 18" bulbs!! My discus are fine, they usually hide under the driftwood and plants like Amazon swords. maybe add soem wide leafed plants, anubias and amazon swords might be good!!

xpotato
10-13-2003, 05:14 PM
thanks ppl

stygian7
10-23-2003, 10:51 PM
Light the tank to your own personal preference. I have my discus under 3 175 watt metal halides. They do just fine. I will say that when I first started running the lamps they hid a lot for the first couple of days, but quickly returned to normal. They look better now that I can see them. If your worried about stressing them, build up the light level over a couple of weeks. Also, remember, discus like to have hiding places. No matter what your light level is, if you don't have places for them to seek shelter if scared, they will always be stressed (unless undisturbed in a breeding setup).
-Kevin