PDA

View Full Version : New Wilds....

lovdiscus
10-09-2003, 08:51 PM
Hi..I just acquired 2 very large wild blue heckels(?)...that is what they called them. They are in a quarantine tank now and have been for 3 days now. They are eating blood worms and flakes (reluctantly)...but eating.
So far so good...They are very large (about 8") and solid and very round. They were scared up til today and finally began to venture to me thru the glass.
I think they are very nice. Should I do anything different with them (from my other Discus)....like treat for parasites or anything? I dont see anything unusual.
Can they harbor things that do not show up in quarantine, but that can affect my other discus later?
I would like to put them with my other large discus group if possible later.....but not if they were inadvertantly harm them.
Any suggestions?
Thanks, Donna

Abercrombie6202
10-09-2003, 09:54 PM
Keep them in the QT tank for about 6 weeks!! They could still be carriers of a disease. Even the most healthiest looking discus can be carriers! You want to be sure that they are free of any diseases or parasites. If you put the discus in now they could transmit some kind of disease that they are immune to0o. Then your other discus might die, if you don't want this to happen then QT for about 6 weeks!

lovdiscus
10-11-2003, 07:00 PM
Thanks Adam for your response.....do you think they will still be carriers after the 6 weeks if they had something?
I will do as you say as I do not by any means what my others affected.
Donna

Paulio
10-11-2003, 07:11 PM
Donna,

Where did you get them from? Are they new from the wild or were they in a store tank some time? Realy need more background info to give you the correct niformation. I think 8 weeks in QT is a good idea with any new fish. If yours are new from the wild you will definitly want to clean them up for internals and keep a close eye for anything external. I handle a bunch of wilds so if you need any help feel free to email me directly.

Paul

jn4u
10-13-2003, 07:23 AM
It's depending on the store you are getting them from. Some stores have a good quarantine program, they will not sell the fish before in are healthy and feed more normal food. If the discus have lived in the store for several month and feeding well or if they are new arrivals, depends.

Depending on the store and their "quarantine program" my time can last from 6 week to 6 month.

Discusgeo
10-13-2003, 10:13 AM
LovDiscus your Discus will always be carriers of something. As Paul said you need to clean them up even if they don't show any signs of sickness. Once Discus get stressed out you may not know what hit the tank. If they seem to be eating and not having a hard time breathing I would start by deworming them with Prazi. Depending on which way you use the Prazi, I would them give them a 2 week rest before starting any new treatments for external parasites. Keep in touch with Paul as he deals alot with imports and ask him for some help in getting them ready for your display tank. Don't cheat on this or you may regreat it later when you have to start over. For me I set my tank temperature to 87 degrees for the new Discus. I always dip my new Discus in 5 gallon buckets for external parasites when I bring them into my hatchery. I do this for up to 10 minutes depend on the medication strength. I then treat for internal parasites a week or two later giving them time to settle in. Each of my tanks have there own nets and scrubby for cleaning the tank walls. They do not get used between tanks unless I mess up and then I bleach them all for the day. Once my fish are in their own tank I do not move them again until they pair off or I sell them. I don't mix my Discus with other Discus from other breeders for 2 years. When I do! I use 1 from each tank that I can afford to lose. I mix them to look for new spawning pairs. If you can't afford to lose any Discus don't do it. Keep everything clean.
George

Discus_KC
10-13-2003, 10:20 AM
Donna,

Where's the pics ????

Inquiring minds want to know !!!!

Jack