PDA

View Full Version : New poster here wih a filter question...

smance
10-10-2003, 11:41 AM
Sorry if this has been covered already in the archives, but I just need some reassurance. I have a Whisper 60 filter for my 55g tank. It has 2 filter pads with carbon bits inside of them and it has 2 carbon sponges right behind them. Now I heard carbon is not neccesary, so should I take the carbon bits out of my filter pad and just keep the carbon sponges for my "Good bacteria"?

chuck
10-10-2003, 11:58 AM
I don't think it will hurt keeping them in....Just change them out about every 3 weeks. cause there come a point when the carbon becomes saturated and stop absorbing . at least that's what I read/heard.. ;)
JMO
chuck

smance
10-10-2003, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the quick response!

Abercrombie6202
10-10-2003, 12:45 PM
I'd take the carbon out, it's a wasteof money! With all the water chnages you have to do to the tank a mechanical filter or carbon is not needed! I have read that carbon can cause Hole In The Head Disease. So i recommend not keeping the carbon in your tank and jsut use sponges. They are cheap and you can reuse them for almost ever!

smance
10-10-2003, 12:59 PM
You would get rid of the carbon bits in the filter pads or the carbon sponges, or both?

henryD
10-10-2003, 01:02 PM
I would remove the carbon. And double up on the sponge.

Not sure about carbon causing hole in the head disease. But they do become saturated at some point and leech back into the water. So remove any carbon and replace it with a sponge. Not only will the extra sponge be good for bacteria but I could be transfered to another tank for an instant cycled tank.

HenryD

Ps If you don't have another tank or not planning on one. Don't worry you will. One can not have too many discus tanks.

Abercrombie6202
10-10-2003, 01:06 PM
Anything that has carbon in it, get rid of it, lol!!

smance
10-10-2003, 01:09 PM
Thanks! I get the picture now ;)

Carol_Roberts
10-10-2003, 10:58 PM
Carbon Sponge????? What is that?

I would replace the existing pads and carbon sponges (one every week or two) with aquarium sponges. I think Whisper makes them - if not cut another brand to fit your filter. Don't replace them all at once as you will lose all your good bacteria. The good thing about sponges is they last neraly forever. Just rinse in dechlorinated water and reuse

smance
10-11-2003, 12:02 AM
Thanks Carol!

P.S. The carbon sponge(s) came with the Whisper 60 filter. In fact the filter came with two filter pads (White with carbon bits filled inside) and two carbon sponges that look like black foam inserts. Whisper claims that they hold the good bacteria and the filter pads are the ones that need to be replaced every month or so.

Carol_Roberts
10-11-2003, 12:48 AM
Can you squeeze the carbon sponges just like a regular sponge?

RyanH
10-11-2003, 02:02 PM
I am in the process of switching to Aquaclears from Whispers so I kindof know where this conversation is going.

The problem I have found with the Whispers is that the ONLY option you have for media is these cotton inserts that have a pocket in them for carbon bits. When you buy the refills they come with carbon and you have no choice but to pay for it whether you need it or not and they are quite expensive.

In addition to the cotton and carbon bits, the newer models also come with a black sponge that slides in behind the cotton insert. Whisper claims it is either made from carbon or is laced with carbon. The sponge can be squeezed out but I would imagine that the carbon will probably start to dump contaminants back into the fish tank before too long if it is indeed real carbon. It is also quite expensive to replace and if it is used properly, it would probably have to be replaced every 3 weeks or so. Therefore I do not recommend using it.

The nice thing about Aquaclears is that you have a choice as far as what types of media you can put into your filter. For most Discus keepers that would just be the sponge inserts.

So Smance,

I would consider going with another brand of power filter like the Aquaclears. The Whispers are reliable and are made well, but the cost of media will break your bank over time since you don't have the option of JUST buying the cotton inserts. If you decide to keep your Whispers, I would do as the others have said and not use the carbon. Also, I would use a pre-filter. Filtermax III's are wonderful and I highly recommend them.

They can be purchased at www.jehmco.com
Check out www.bigalsonline.com for Aquaclears.

hth,

-Ryan

smance
10-11-2003, 03:09 PM
Thanks again Ryan & Carol for your interest in my issues. Ryan thanks for the tip on the pre-filters as well.

Not2Day
10-11-2003, 08:20 PM
Whispers work fine for me... I just use open cell foam instead of the bags. ;D