PDA

View Full Version : Aging & Water Storage

Jean
10-12-2003, 07:15 PM
:)

Looking for ideas here; as always..

I want to connect some of my water storage barrels so that they will overflow into eachother when one is full...I am concerned with a good seal using a bulkhead type fitting.

Anyone have any good ideas? Pics of what you have going;what is working for you would be great as well!

Thanks!

Jean ;D 8)

mench
10-12-2003, 08:04 PM
Jean,I just use reg.bulbhead fittings on my 55 gal barrels,butt,i use a peice of hose between them. Been using the same 2 barrels for yrs with no prob.

Mench

P.S. Just DON'T over tighten them,cuz they WILL leak.....

Denny
10-12-2003, 10:47 PM
I might be doing it a little too simply nut I just have a short section of garden hose with an end in each barrel. Once one gets full enough, start a siphon and they will get to a state of equillibrium and the level will rise and fall in both at the same rate.

I prefer this method because If I need to move or clean them I don't have to worry about disrupting the seal. Plus I can draw out of one side permanently and draw down the water level equally which you cannot do if you connect with a bulkhead at the top.

drew22to375
10-16-2003, 07:09 PM
What I have been using on my water containers for the bulkheads if you are using a container with a thin wall like rubbermaid container or garbage can is 1 male and 1 femal pvc pipe threaded conectors with a rubber gasket between them. Rubber groumets found in the electrical section works great for the rubber gasket. You can also silicone the inside and outside if you are worried about it leaking, but I have found it un neccessary. I have some that are 3 years old and still no leak. Knock on wood. I've been thinking of building a stackable rack with 50 gallon containers 3-4 high and using float valves to control the overflow from container to container.