PDA

View Full Version : Increasing temperature of new water...

Ken8
10-16-2003, 03:18 PM
Hi,

Does anybody use an electric kettle (you know, the ones for human use and used in the kitchen to boil hot water for coffee, roughly 1.7L to 2L capacity and containing heating elements of around 1700W to 2000W) to boil some hot water and add it to a larger proportion of cold tap water for adding new water after doing water change?

I just want to ask if it is a good idea to say add about 2L of boiling water (around 95deg C) to about 7L of cold tap water (around 16deg C) so that when mixed together in a 10L bucket, the final temperature of the 9L of water is around 30deg C.

Is this BASICALLY the same as bring the 9L of water up in temperature from say 16deg C to 30deg C very slowly using the proper aquarium glass heater? Or will the oxygen levels be extremely low when using the boiling water method?

The reason I want to do this is because I really don't have the space to have a container/aquarium to bring the water temperature up slowly using the aquarium heater and the other reason is because it's fast.

I know this is a stupid question but I'll have to ask anyway, you know how the inside of the kettle becomes brown after prolonged usage, will this create any problems when adding the water boiled using this kettle into the new water for water changing. The reason I said it's a stupid question is because we humans still use them to boil water for human consumption so it should be safe. But I still wanted to be sure if the browning of the inside heating element of the kettle will create any problems when adding to new water.

If boiling water using kettle isn't advisable then I guess I will just have to add cold tap water (pre-conditioned of course) straight into the tank but it will be in smaller proportion due to large differences in temperature between tap water and aquarium water.

Thanks for your help.

Ken

ronrca
10-16-2003, 04:56 PM
If you are mixing it before adding into the tank, I cant see a problem except for the 02. Depending on the amount, I would aerate for a couple of hours. I dont think the kettle would cause problems with the water otherwise.

Carol_Roberts
10-16-2003, 07:55 PM
Hi Ken and welcome to Simplydiscus :wave:

I don't see any problem with mixing heated water to cold water. More of a problem if the pH of your tap is significantly lower than the pH of your tank.

Don't you have hot water out of your kitchen faucet?

Ken8
10-16-2003, 08:16 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

The following are the water parameters of my tapwater:

pH around 7.5 to 8.0
GH around 10 to 20ppm (very soft)
KH around 8 to 16ppm (very low carbonate hardness, this is why pH plummets very quickly and easily)

What is the most effective way of aerating water in a 20L bucket? I believe using airpump to drive an airstone is pretty ineffective so I guess using a water pump and keeping the water moving at the surface would be most efficient? I have a powerhead with a venturi device so this should be a really good method?

I have hot water system but due to the copper piping that we have plus the very soft water that we have (tapwater), I believe the combination of copper and very softwater creates poisoning of some sort. This is the reason why I'm not using hotwater straight from the hot water system. Also, the hotwater that comes out of the tap would have been stored in the heating tank for a while making matters worse, I guess.

But what about the browning of the heating element inside the kettle (which is natural) after prolonged usage? I guess if it's safe for human consumption then it shouldn't pose any problems for discus??

BTW, I am returning to this hobby so I don't have any discus yet... :)

Ken.

Carol_Roberts
10-17-2003, 12:44 AM
Hi Ken:
If the water from your tap is higher pH than in the tanks you may not need to aerate it. If you do decide to aerate it an airstone or powerhead will be fine with your soft water.

Why don't you buy a copper test kit and see if your hot water shows signs of copper? I fill my storage barrels with warm water from the faucet everyday.

I think you are correct, if it is safe to drink it is safe for the fish.