PDA

View Full Version : Co2 Injection Setup

mmerlina
10-17-2003, 01:20 PM
Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone knew of a good source for someone who only knows what a co2 injection setup is FOR, can read up about.

I know what they do, and I know I want one. ;) The only piece I am missing is how to put one together, what pieces I need, and what safety precautions I need to take so I'm not killing anyone.

Can anyone help me out?

Oh yeah.. I am using a Fluval 404, I read a little something about being able to splice into the lines. (right?)

Thanks!

Michael

PanFish
10-17-2003, 02:28 PM
Hello mmerlina,

Welcome to Simply!

I'm very new to both Discus and Simply Discus but maybe I can help. ;D

I've used the DIY from TheKrib.com and it's worked out well so far for me.

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/co2-narten.html

You can also use the search feature on here and I'm positive you'll find info on DIY and CO2. Use the Search feature, makes a world of a difference. ;)

SIMPLYDISCUS.COM and it's members, I THANK YOU ALL FOR ALL YOU DO and FOR WHAT I'VE LEARNED! :gossip:

Leo

mmerlina
10-17-2003, 03:27 PM
Hey PanFish,

I read through that link and the couple others from it. It seems like a pretty neat way of generating Co2 and pumping itinto the tank, but I was looking for a more traditional way, if you will.

Like a 5 pound tank of Co2, regulator, bubble counter.. that's all I really know.

The way they did it was really cool with sugar and yeast and stuff, looks like they were baking a cake. :)

Would you know of any links or articles about people using Co2 tanks as the source?

Thanks!

Michael

PanFish
10-17-2003, 06:15 PM
Hey mmerlina,

Yeah, I get where you're going with this. We'll, I'm pretty sure you can find this on the web. I remember seeing a few before but I just did a search and here's a couple.

http://web.singnet.com.sg/~teosb1/diy-co2.html

plantedtank.net

Hope this helps a little.
???
PanFish

Dissident
10-18-2003, 11:49 AM
Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone knew of a good source for someone who only knows what a co2 injection setup is FOR, can read up about.

I know what they do, and I know I want one. ;) The only piece I am missing is how to put one together, what pieces I need, and what safety precautions I need to take so I'm not killing anyone.

Can anyone help me out?

Oh yeah.. I am using a Fluval 404, I read a little something about being able to splice into the lines. (right?)

Thanks!

Michael

Anything else on your setup? Size, lighting, how heavy is it planted? With co2 you can get some nasty Ph swings if you are not carefull, or if you don't get the proper equipment.

start with: http://www.petmeister.com/item1746.htm
Depending on the size of the aquarium will determine if you need 5lb tank or more as well as if you should go into your fluval or use a difusor. Lighting will aslo make a difference in the co2 levels you will need to have as well as how many plants and if there is a lot of surface aggitation. I'm not sure if I could reccomend adding co2 if you already have discus in the tank, if so you will want to move them for 2 weeks after you start adding co2 (or longer) untill you find ballance.

mmerlina
10-18-2003, 03:15 PM
Hey Dissident,

Very good point about moving the discus. I've been reading that link you posted over and over, it's very informative so thank you.

I'll let you guys know when I decide to move on with this!

Thanks for all your help!

Michael

P.S. - Dissident: the black magic final fantasy wizard kicks. ;)

Dissident
10-18-2003, 05:06 PM
http://members.cox.net/tulsaalstons/AquaticPlants.htm#High%20Pressure%20CO2

Here are some good links for CO2 DIY systems with settin up an inline injection to your filter. It also has some nice links for saveing cash which is always nice. I got a good deal on mine $100 for everything but I got lucky at my LFS. Good luck and keep us posted.

mmerlina
10-18-2003, 05:51 PM
Hey man, thanks for that link it looks like ther eis alot of useful information on there. I'll look though that right now.

Oh, just so I have everything straight about what I'm looking for.. what do I need and in what order does all the stuff go?

All I know is I need a tank and a regulator, after that, everything else confuses the hell out of me.. like "solenoid controller", I have no idea what something like that should look like or what it even does, or how to pronounce it. ;)

1 - 5 pound cylinder of Co2
2 - regulator (what should I be looking for in this?)
3 - here is where I get lost :(

Thanks!

Michael

Dissident
10-18-2003, 10:44 PM
if you get the jbj regulator you will only need the co2 tank, some hose and the difusor/reactor.
Most co2 regulators will come with everything you need, ie; the needle valve for the fine tuning of howmuch co2 gets into the system, thecelonoid will be necessary with live fish that will turn the system on and off with the timer (something you WILL want your lights on, put the co2 system on it as well). the bubble counter will help you get a visual idea of howmuch co2 gets into the system, it is not necessary for it but nice to have, I found that they tend to leak co2.

Once you have the tank and regulator you need a way to mix the co2 into the water. For this you ahve a couple of options:

1: difusor, basically an airstone for lack of better comairson. They are cheep and inifficiant for a tank over 55gal unless you get 2 of them. To have a co2 tank refilled (5lb) costs me $3US, so this is the method i use at the moment.

2: reactor, this will mix the co2 into the water before or after it hits the filter (after works better). This method will use less co2 but will be a little more risky when dealing with live fish since you can make an extremely high concentration of co2 in the water very quickly with a very minor adjustment and kill your fish.

IMHO the reactor is the best with large tanks, 90gal and up. You can get away with 2 difussors if you want, however you will be adding more equipment to the tank. If you go with the reactor be sure test the tank daily w/out you favorite fish in it, get them somewhere safe. Get the planted ballanced and stable before adding the discus.

Get a co2 tester, one that stays in the water, it will tell you if your co2 is to high for the ph and Kh of your water makes checking in the afternoon/evening easy, then adjust according untill you find the sweet spot where there is no color change from day to day.

Lights on durring the day, lights off at night, no co2 at night. This will keep the Ph swings down to a minimum. When I was injecting co2 24/7 i was getting Ph swings that were pretty crazy, ok for angels and alge eaters, but would kill any discus. Now i get less then .2~.3 Ph swings, and most of the time there is no change from morning to night tests.

You will also want good lighting, around 2-4.5 Watts/Gallon ( i have 3.2), this will help keep alge down while injecting co2. Be sure to have FAST GROWING plants untill the tank has cycled this way you wont get an alge bloow or have any major alge problems. You will always have alge in a planted tanks but the trick is to keep it down to a minimum. Alge is a sign of a health planted tank so if alge is growing you are doing something right. Only do weekly water change durring the time the tank is cycleing you dont want to remove neutriants vital to your plants, otherwise the alge will take over.

I'ts harder to kill plants then fish, you will find some plants may not grow well, or at all in your tank, thats normal. Try a few out and see what does well, and what you like. Once you have the tank where you want it, add your slow growing plants like anubis.

mmerlina
10-20-2003, 12:58 AM
That is some great information and incrediby helpful.. thanks a lot!

I think I am going to go the route of a reactor since I have a 75 gallon tank.

Right now I have my lights on a 12 hour timer so I will just be able to throw the co2 stuff on the same plug.

What exactly in the entire setup is electronic? The regulator? What I meanis like.. the pressure of the Co2 tank is what would be powering everything, so what plugs in to stop it at night?

Thanks!

Michael

Dissident
10-20-2003, 01:28 AM
That is some great information and incrediby helpful.. thanks a lot!

I think I am going to go the route of a reactor since I have a 75 gallon tank.

Right now I have my lights on a 12 hour timer so I will just be able to throw the co2 stuff on the same plug.

What exactly in the entire setup is electronic? The regulator? What I meanis like.. the pressure of the Co2 tank is what would be powering everything, so what plugs in to stop it at night?

Thanks!

Michael

From the solenoid there will be a powercord. It is like an on-off switch, as long as it is getting power the system will be running, when there is no power it will be off. It is very nice to have if you are keeping fish with your plants, which you are ;)

If you get the JBJ regulator in the link i sent you it will have everything you need, minus the co2 tank, reactor, and any hoses you might need. The regulator was $138 at my LFS. You can get it for less online or you can build your own for about the same price and it wont be as reliable.