PDA

View Full Version : Custom Stand and Growout Setup

Todd77357
10-19-2003, 11:00 PM
This is a dual 55g setup I recently put together, untill now I've always had my non-breeding discus in graveled display tanks.
This setup includes a stand I made, using 1 1/2" X 1/4" thick angle iron for the frame, enclosed with sheet metal. To the left side of the stand I've mounted 2 power strips with a timer for the lights. To the right of the stand I've mounted 2 valves for the drip emitters.
The emitters are pressure compenstating upto 60 psi, dripping 1 gph. The system overflows into the bulk head fittings on each tank giving the tanks a constant partial water change. And yes I still do weekly water changes besides the drip.
I am running an Emporer 400, and Penguin 330 on the tanks. The back and bottom of both tanks is insulated with 1/2" foam sheets, I debated doing the sides but prefer to be able to see through them.
But anyway, is this setup worth the time and effort I've put into it?

http://hometown.aol.com/todd77357/images/2-55gfront.jpg
http://hometown.aol.com/todd77357/images/2-55g,door.jpg

Dissident
10-19-2003, 11:43 PM
Very nice!
I am just about to build a 2x 55 gal stand just like that (but out of wood). I am going to put it together on tuesday/wednesday.
By the looks of it I am going over-board with supports. I am no where near professional with wood working but I have built desks, aquarium lighting hood for my show tank.
Any pointers on how much support is necessary would be great. I really like the door on the front I never thought of doing that, I was going to just have the lighting recessed behind the main brace for the top tank.

Great work!

Have you been building stands for some time? (visited your site) Your prices are excelent for the quality ond creativity of your work there!

Todd77357
10-20-2003, 12:01 AM
Thanks Dis. I've been building stands amoung other things for around 2 yrs., I seem to get better with each new stand thank god. I'm not much of a carpenter so I think my advise would not be worth much, lol. I stick to what I know, steel.