PDA

View Full Version : DIY stand question, will it hold?

Dissident
10-20-2003, 02:28 AM
I have drawn up (hopefully for the last time) a set of plans to support two 55gallon tanks, I need to know if it will support the weight of the top most tank on the stand.

Here is the construction: (not to scale)
http://alaam.com/casc/55stand_final.jpg

1 & 3: The very top part this is where the top tank will rest, the main rectangle will be constructed with 2x6 with a 2x6 brace in the center, the vertical supports will be four 2x4 and one 2x6 in the rear. The aquarium will only make contact with the out-most edges.

I cannot put supports on the inside of the frame because they would be in the way of the lower tank. I also do not want to cover the front of the lower tank with an additional support.

2 & 3: Not concerned about this supporting a 55gallon tank, it will be resting on the floor.

IMO it should be more then enough but I have never built anything to support anything close to this weight. Will it hold?

GulfCoastDiscus
10-20-2003, 04:57 AM
Dissident,
You don't need 2x6's to support the 55 on top or bottom tank. I used all 2x4's and had this stand for years with no problems. 2x6 will give you less room to get into the bottom tank unless you increase the height of the top tank. If you cut a 2x4x8' in half for legs that gives you the height of the base of the top tank at 48". You add 21 1/2" to this height and that gives you the height of the top of the 55 gal tank. Total height will be 69 1/2". I'm only 5'8" and I need to use a ladder to clean out the top tank. HTH

Dan

Dissident
10-20-2003, 10:08 AM
thanks I thought I was being excessive on the suports.