PDA

View Full Version : About to start a new tank... Dennerle

wezzer
10-24-2003, 06:49 PM
Hi, thanks for looking.

I'm getting my new tank delivered tomorrow :D

It's a vision 260, and i'm going to plant it.

My lfs has a Dennerle vibe going on, so when i purchased it last weekend i bought a system 2000 co2, shed loads of deponit mix and a 50watt boden fluter on the recommendation of the guy that worked there.

He also gave me a Dennerle book which has planted tank plans.

I told the guy that i was having discus in the tank from the off, but after reading a lot on this forum it seems that i need a lot of surface area free to be able to clean. Is all of the above equipment going to be over kill. After all i don't want a heavily over planted tank like in the book i have, 'but' i would like to have healthy growing plants.

Also another thing... if i do stay with the heat mat there is an add-on the controls the heat of the mat and the main water heater. This cost over £100... my thinking is i can do without this... am i right?

Also could you give me some advise on cleaning a planted tank... i have only had 'gravel only' tanks before.

Thanks if you've read this far :)

wezzer.

ChloroPhil
10-25-2003, 09:41 AM
Deponit Mix? Is that a substrate suppliment along the lines of Laterite? I'm not familiar with Dennerle products, but I do know they're good quality.

If you're going to be using a sand and laterite based substrate I recommend using the substrate cables. Contrary to my usual opinion of cables, I feel they are of benefit in a laterite based substrate. :o

As far as planting and cleaning it's not as hard as some make it seem. The best trick is to keep an open area in the front for your fish to eat above. That'll help them find food when they're picking and will help A LOT when you go to clean up after them.

jeff cannons
10-25-2003, 10:03 AM
Hi Wezzer my tank that I have posted pics of is also set up using Dennerlle products although I havent used their heating cable because of the price, the heater cable I use is made by Rena for half the price , the Deponit mix has to be used with a heater cable and as for the add-on I take it you are refering too the Duo-mat you dont really need this but it can be added at a later date, as for cleaning a Planted tank just make sure you dont put the plants too close together that way you can get the syphon in all the nooks and crannies Good Luck with your new tank and lets see some piccies when its done ......... ;D
P.S You quoted the price in £ so are you from the U.K if you are who did you purchase your Dennerlle stuff from ?

wezzer
10-25-2003, 11:37 AM
Hi, thanks for the replies. That's helped a lot!

Jeff, i bought the equipment from Moorland Nurseries in Knaresborough nr Harrogate which has a great fish section and v helpful staff!

Unfortunately i didn't get my tank today, i was meant to be having a carpet fitted today but the fitters let me down >:( so i'll have to wait until next Saturday!! :'(

I'm going to take pictures of my tank through the setup stages which i'll post on this site :)

wezzer.

jeff cannons
10-26-2003, 12:44 PM
Hi Wezzer you get your stuff from the same place as me although I do all mine on mail order as I'm in Hampshire I have never visited the shop although I was planning a trip upto there , is it worth the miles ?
Good Luck with your tank next saturday !!!!!!!!!!!!!! ::) ;D

wezzer
10-26-2003, 04:56 PM
Cheers Jeff, yeah worth a visit, though it's not a huge shop.

They are actually re-designing the layout and adding more tanks at the moment, they are planning to stock marine as well.

They have a sign up saying "you may have noticed the shop had started to look a little tired" i laughed because it is by far the best one around here, including Leeds shops in my opinion. :)

I think they expect to finish by the new year, so i would wait till then to make a trip.

wezzer.

Dissident
10-26-2003, 10:03 PM
Here's a nice link to some very helpfull people, if you are new to planted tanks there is a lot of great info here, but it sounds like you are off to a great start.
http://aquabotanicwetthumb.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=cfrm&s=4006090712