PDA

View Full Version : Need to move water fast

NickK
10-24-2003, 11:36 PM
I posted this topic a while back, but want some new advice. I want to speed up my water changes, because the Python is WAY too slow now that I have more tanks. I want to drain a tank almost as fast as I fill it up with my submersible 1/6 hp pump. However, I don't want to use a submersible pump in the tanks.

So, what are my options?

Thanks!
Nick

Denny
10-24-2003, 11:51 PM
Larger diameter hose or drain pipe.

Dave C
10-24-2003, 11:52 PM
Either a larger diameter hose or a big pump. Your choice.

I just hook a pvc J tube with a hose onto the tank. The other end has a pvc J tube as well. I hook that on the sink and give it a good suck and the siphon starts. Then I start another siphon on a hose with a length of PVC pipe on it and clean the tank bottom. I have an assortment of hoses with J tubes on them. So I hook the hoses on my tanks and get the siphon going and then move from tank to tank siphoning the bottom. Before the last tank is clean I have started refilling the first tank. I can do 12 tanks totalling 500g in about 30 minutes. While my holding tank is refilling I feed the fish.

lauris
10-25-2003, 12:29 AM
i use a simer electric inline pump, not sure of the model number, but i can check. it has garden hose size connections and i keep it in a plastic bin on a wheeled cart. to outlet and inlet i have about ten feet of hose with shut offs on each end. on the output end, i have a quick connect. one of the several hoses i have snaked through the rafters (amongst the power strips and extension cords, of course) has a corresponding quick connect and drains to the laundry sink. i wheel the cart out, plug in the pump and hook it up and suck away. it is definitely faster than siphon and i know there are bigger inline pumps. one of the tricks (which you learn after burning out a few of these babies) is to use the shut off on the intake end to keep water in that hose so that the pump starts 'wet'. the plastic wal-mart plastic bin thingy with hinged lids keeps things dry. i like it because it has enough suction to vacuum the bottom of the tank and it can handle solids as long as they aren't too large. sucked up a good sized beetle that had fallen in the tank and it handled that. i like being able to put it out of the way and it seems to keep things drier and less cluttered with hoses than other ways i've tried.

ronrca
10-27-2003, 12:20 PM
There is one more method however it may not be practical. Increase the difference between the drain and water level. You get a much faster flow from a height of 4' than 1/2'! ;)

Smokey
10-28-2003, 04:01 AM
There is a pump - Pony Brand. It is a suction pump - no priming needed. It does 325 gallons per hour. at a very high psi. I use them at my shop. Water out only. External pump only. loud, yes. works well, you bet!

Nick - re-evaluated your water movement. aka -water in / water out. Gravity sucks. lol. slow, but free. You could step up to a 2"diameter hose. Now that sucks.. lol.

Electricial pumps do have a valuable use. Your reason for not using a sub. pump Why not?? Just interested?.

Throw them in and pump away. .. a suggestion get a large output pump. The do last and pay for themselves MPO/E.

Smokey