PDA

View Full Version : keeping discus! HELP

boydiscus
10-26-2003, 04:11 AM
I have setted up a 3ft tank for my discus and I just want to buy one discus for now just to test if it will survive or not and if there is enough good bacteria to keep it alive? what do you recommend? will a discus living by itself stress out and die?

Ardan
10-26-2003, 08:57 AM
Hi,
Discus like best to live in groups, like 4 to 6. It may get stressed. jmo

hth

April
10-26-2003, 09:39 AM
you need patience and get that tank all ready and cycled.
you will do fine....if you keep reading...keep cycling....and us here to help if anything comes up. you dont want to have just one discus sitting there to cycle your tank....then you add other ones....they you risk getting some virus or something adding from different places. i say wait.....and be patient and read .

Abercrombie6202
10-26-2003, 11:25 AM
Just be pateint like April said. Patience is the key to success! When you buy your discus, buy as many as you can fit ni the tank. this way you don't have to worry about quaranting new fish! Discus in my opinion like groups of more than 5! I hsd 5 discus and 2 died from a disease that struck the tank. i see a big difference in social behavior. two fo the discus hang out and 1 discus stays by itself on the otherside of the aquarium. you don't want to stress your discus. Just be patient

Mykiss
10-26-2003, 06:25 PM
Basically you want to age the water long enough so that a good population of bacteria grows. So like what everyone is suggestion....take your time and wait. HOwever, if you really want to get things going ASAP and can't wait like my self, what I have done in the past is use a more cheaper 'test' fish. You suggested 1 discus, however, I have use rummy nose tetras and it seemed to work fine. I always thought that Rummy noses need very clean water like discus, so if they can survive in the tank for a few days, I can't see why the discus can't. However, like what others have suggested, the possibility of disease transmission is possible. So, you can either wait for a while or try the rummy's. good luck
PT