PDA

View Full Version : Infestation of small bugs

Desertdrifter
11-06-2003, 12:46 AM
I had to get rid of my algea eaters because they were picking on my discus. since then I have had to clean my glass every couple of weeks. tonight I noticed hundreds of very small bugs on my glsss and drift wood . (Infusoria?).It is 150 gal. my 50 gal.bare bottom is fine. my fish seem healthy I have 6- 4"to 6" fish in the 150. should I be concerned. ps. I got 6 wattleys blue and reds about 2 months ago wow! the grothe has been great they were the size of a quarter now they are about 3". that might not be that great for the pros.but compaired to my first batch.I feed 6 or so times a day and change 20% water daily and this is a bare bottom .

Carol_Roberts
11-06-2003, 11:25 AM
Dot and blobs stuck to the glass would be palnaria. Skittery, hopping bugs would be copepods. Both are symptoms of overfeeding. they do not harm discus, but you need to increse water changes, clean filters and inside tank plus feed less. You will see numbers decrease over a week or two,

KEVINT
11-06-2003, 07:17 PM
Do more water changes as these bugs multiple fast and dont feed as much. When they are in great numbers this can Irritate he fish.

HTH

Mykiss
11-11-2003, 11:17 PM
Hi Desertdrifter, I have had the same problem in the past which was a result of either over feeding or neglecting a few water changes. However, there is a solution. What I have done in the past is do an 80-90% water change. As you drop the water level the the remaining 20-10% water, let the water dry on the glass and then wipe the bugs all off. You will get a bunch of bugs in the water, but after a few of these changes, you will see a mojor improvement.
The main thing though is less food and more water changes. Hope that works!
PT